Thanks Grandpa

406Born

Montana but currently living in SW Michigan
I was born in Montana but my family moved to Sw Michigan when I was 7. When I graduated college I moved back to Montana and my Grandpa taught me to elk hunt when I was 22 and he was 75. I didn’t know at the time most people don’t hunt elk at his age.

He died yesterday at the age of 94 after a 15 year battle with Parkinson’s. The last 5 years were really hard for him and he knew this life is not the end so in many ways it is a blessing. How he lived to 94 I will never know. He had so many stores of near death motorcycle accidents, house fires, car accidents etc it is amazing.

He was a great hunter and woodsman. He was with me when I shot my first bear, mule deer, and antelope and I was with him when he shot his last bull elk at age 80 and last mule deer at age 87. I am so thankful for the time he spent teaching me to hunt and the memories I have. I would love one more day of hunting with grandpa listening to his stories and eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with Grandmas homemade bread and jelly and a can of Mountain Dew.

It’s amazing the influence someone can have on you life and my goal to create similar memories with my kids and someday my grandchildren.

07580972-519D-4097-A80F-AE710B36F4C9.jpegD6748E4B-D028-4321-BC80-EB8329FA101E.jpegD9DDBA81-8DC3-4370-A864-131049B16744.jpeg

Sorry for you loss those are some awesome memories and times you shared with him

I am sorry for your loss. This is a great tribute to your Grandpa. It is also inspiring for me to be that Grandpa for my grandkids. Thanks for posting.

So sorry for your loss. I loss my pawpaw in December and it’s still tough. He is the reason I love the outdoors.

Sorry for your loss, you are very fortunate to have been able to spend such great times with a great man.

Great story, thanks for sharing and sorry for your loss. My grandpa taught me as well. It's been 30 years since he passed and I still miss him.

Prayers to you and your family. We should all be so lucky to have such an influence in our lives.

Appreciate everyone’s kind words. I had 4 amazing grandparents and I was lucky enough to have them live 100 yards apart from each other and be friends. I spent every vacation as a kid visiting them and going back and forth between the houses. Since it is Memorial weekend I should mention my other grandpa was in the army in ww2 and passed away in 1998. One of my favorite photos is a picture I took of my two grandpas in a boat on Georgetown lake.

A20D0C8D-C164-4E0B-9072-83B782811718.jpeg

what a wonderful blessing it was for you to have those two men in your life. And it was a blessing to them to have had you in theirs.

I am so glad you were able to spend time with them and they with you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back