Thank You Montana

You don't have to apply if you were born in Montana. I already have tags in hand for deer and elk.

I cant tell if this is sacasm or not.

But as a whole its awful for NR.
Obviously, like I said if you were born in Montana and still have family there you don't apply, you purchase NR tags OTC.

Bought mine last week, applied for special deer and elk as well. Hoping for a 3rd rifle breaks elk and 2nd special deer.

Obviously, like I said if you were born in Montana and still have family there you don't apply, you purchase NR tags OTC.

Bought mine last week, applied for special deer and elk as well. Hoping for a 3rd rifle breaks elk and 2nd special deer.
Not sure what you are talking about.
But here is the application that gets submitted. (2024 application is similar to 2023)

Not sure what you are talking about.
But here is the application that gets submitted. (2024 application is similar to 2023)

Uh, the NR tags I bought OTC that are in my hand?

If you go to a regional office, you don't need to apply if you have all the documentation in hand. Show them the goods at a regional office, they issue your NR tags OTC.

The only reason you "apply" is if you want to purchase them via computer. You send in the documents, they issue you a code to purchase. No drawing. No deadlines.

But, hey, what do I know, only done it several times.

Last edited:
Same here, one brother is non resident native, other is come home to hunt. Not like the rules aren’t written on the form.

But you do you, try not to mislead people. The OP expressly said he was “applying”. Why make it about you?

The Come Home to Hunt only allows 500 combo tags for each of three different choices: elk (+ bird & fishing), deer (+ bird & fishing), and deer/elk (+ bird & fishing). They don't give those licenses away; they're cheaper than other non-res licenses but not cheap! Almost never are all tags applied for in any category. They told me a couple of times way back the elk only combos sold out. And the nonresident can only apply for ONE of the three categories. I suspect relatively few of these tags are filled. Most of us know we can apply next year if we don't fill this year. So what happens happens. Meah. On the other hand, some other nonresident who has to apply for years to get a tag is more likely to pull out all the stops to fill it. May never get another one.

I do not agree with the other come home program for "native [born]" non-residents. The same three categories of licenses but "unlimited" number of tags can be sold. I think there should be some cap on number of tags, if for no other reason to make the program more palatable.

Every year I apply for and receive elk/deer combo Come Home to Hunt. These are the most expensive packages. In the last three years I have been able to hunt for elk one day each season. Just one day. Needless to say I ate the elk tags. I applied for same package this year knowing that my brother's health issues likely mean we won't be hunting elk (he must hunt with me as condition of the license). But I'm fine with that. I'm almost guaranteed a deer only combo license as those never sell out. I can buy one of those surplus tags. So why not just buy a deer only combo at half the price? I figure the state can use the money.

If I don't get a tag or the program (which is undoubtedly essentially a cash cow), I probably won't be back to hunt. I will lose touch with family and friends. And the economy will lose a few $$$ ... actually, quite a few $$$. Maybe one more buck every year will live on for another season. But I don't see that making a huge difference. Not where I hunt. There are enough deer so that scores have starved on that BMA ranch during the winter the last several years.

BTW, I should mention that I was only three days shy of being born in Montana. Would have been a "native" Montanan except Dad got shingles and was delayed starting his new job at Hungry Horse Dam. I found his 1952 diary when going through his stuff after his funeral.

Last edited:
Same here, one brother is non resident native, other is come home to hunt. Not like the rules aren’t written on the form.

But you do you, try not to mislead people. The OP expressly said he was “applying”. Why make it about you?
Because you don't have to apply if you were born in Montana, that's a simple fact. I can post up the pictures of my 2024 licenses if you want.

You can show up to Montana the day before the season closes and buy tags OTC if you're a native Montana NR hunter.

How is that misleading? I never applied for anything, I bought it.

NR%20license.PNG

Last edited:
Back