Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Thank You Montana

RJ glad you applied for a tag.
Where in Montana are you from-at?

It is a lousy program, just one of many poor decisions that Montana has made regarding wildlife management.
Going to jump in & respond here... Spendt better part of 30 years going back each fall & elk hunting with Dad b4 he passed a few years back. These programs made it fiscally possible for the many memories & times we were able to spend doing what he loved best. Hardly a lousy program from my point of view. Am sure I'm not the only one...

Going to jump in & respond here... Spendt better part of 30 years going back each fall & elk hunting with Dad b4 he passed a few years back. These programs made it fiscally possible for the many memories & times we were able to spend doing what he loved best. Hardly a lousy program from my point of view. Am sure I'm not the only one...
Why do you deserve the subsidy vs a guy from Iowa whos dreamed of it his whole life?

Sure, the beneficiaries of most things think highly of the program.

Two things, it is yet another work around of the supposed cap on non resident hunters.

It is also a subtle insult to native born Montanans who stayed in a tougher job market, so that their hunting passion could be met.

Why do you deserve the subsidy vs a guy from Iowa whos dreamed of it his whole life?
Missing the point here... the benefit here is to the Mt resident who has the opportunity to hunt with their family. Not the guy from Iowa, who has a program called a NR license.

Missing the point here... the benefit here is to the Mt resident who has the opportunity to hunt with their family. Not the guy from Iowa, who has a program called a NR license.
There’s nothing stopping the NR relative from accompanying their MT relative on a hunt, even if they don’t have tags of their own.

That opportunity still for the resident to hunt with NR family exists via purchasing a tag called a regular NR license?

If its about wanting to hunt/opportunity and cost - id suggest buying a b tag.

That opportunity still for the resident to hunt with NR family exists via purchasing a tag called a regular NR license?

If its about wanting to hunt/opportunity and cost - id suggest buying a b tag.

My father, who had renal cell carcinoma and lost his leg due to a bone infection, grabbed a couple of B tags for whitetail and we hunted together. First time in our lives we ever did that, and in fact, the only time. $75 bucks for a B tag is affordable, and my memory wouldn't be any better if antlers were involved.

I understand the draw that former residents have to these licenses, but they're unlimited at the native level, which is why CHTH doesn't tap out. The NR Youth tags are unlimited as well. Those licenses are the place where you can cut NR opportunity w/o harming the budget too much, but the desire for people to place their own self-interest ahead of the wildlife usually supersedes the proper exercise of judicious allotments.

Was never in favor of the program, still am not.

It does provide a couple good things, @Zellhouse makes a solid argument on one of them. It has allowed me to hunt with my family that still lives there. I would have went there regardless if I had a tag of my own or not. But I like having a tag as well.

It also makes me smile because it drives @MtEngineer and @rjthehunter batchit crazy.

I get my $700 worth just out of that, long before I show up there to hunt.

Last edited:
Was never in favor of the program, still am not.

It does provide a couple good things, @Zellhouse makes a solid argument on one of them. It has allowed me to hunt with my family that still lives there. I would have went there regardless if I had a tag of my own or not. But I like having a tag as well.

It also makes me smile because it drives @MtEngineer and @rjthehunter batchit crazy.

I get my $700 worth just out of that, long before I show up there to hunt.
I am glad you think thats worth 700 dollars.

I understand the draw that former residents have to these licenses, but they're unlimited at the native level, which is why CHTH doesn't tap out. The NR Youth tags are unlimited as well. Those licenses are the place where you can cut NR opportunity w/o harming the budget too much, but the desire for people to place their own self-interest ahead of the wildlife usually supersedes the proper exercise of judicious allotments.
So is there any chance that it could change if enough residents speak up about wanting to do away with the program? What’s the best way to go about approaching that?

Back