PEAX Equipment

Texas hog shoot-out

BuzzH

I got an invite from a buddy of mine that lives in Texas to come down and shoot some hogs, exotics, etc.

I've been down there a few other times, but this trip was crazy with the amount of hogs.

It was short notice, but I gave 1-pointer a call to see if he could make it...sure enough, he could.

We met down there in the early afternoon and had basically 2 days to hunt. Glad we didnt have 3 days as the hog killing was off the hook.

The first evening we hunted, 1-pointer didnt waste any time and smoked up 5 hogs with 3 shots! Scored a triple with his first shot, then got two on the fly. I missed one trying for a head shot.

Later that night, we broke out the AR's and night vision that my buddy has...its kind of crazy how well you can see through that stuff. We got some shooting in and bagged a couple more hogs at the feeder closest to the house.

The next day and a half was about the same...I doubled twice, getting 4 hogs with 2 shots and got a few more.

1-pointer shot some more hogs and an exotic doe. We saw lots of axis, fallow, sika, blackbucks, turkeys, auodad, etc.

When the smoke settled...14 hogs, 1 exotic doe, 1 corsican sheep, and a rio gobbler had bought the farm.

As always my buddy rolled out the red carpet...great food, a few cocktails, and about as much shooting and fun as you can handle in 2 days. I dont know how much meat Pointer ended up with, but I have nearly 70 lbs of breakfast sausage in the freezer and a bunch of pork loin. Great eating stuff.

A few pics, 1-pointer will add some more I'm sure.

IMG_1020.JPG

3167361B-E244-418E-9FDB-561E18893B78-3492-0000026CE144363F_zps22fed05a.jpg

Day110_zpsc69ba6d1.jpg

Nice! The wife has been saying how she would like us to go to Texas for some hogs. Maybe someday...

Jumping jimminy crickets it's a long ways from central Indiana to Texas! Lots of driving, but it was worth it as I had a ball. Like Buzz stated, there was lots of shooting involved. I texted my wife after the first 1/2 day that I had shot more 'big game' that day than in the last 3 years combined! Due to the MT-centric feel of the board, yes there were sheep and some were harmed in the making of this thread.... ;)
5A687368-0746-4280-9F7D-381E40604271-3492-0000026CF0A03C53_zps8656b866.jpg

I can only imagine what that ranch is like when the turkeys are really gobbling as there are LOTs of them. 'Twas pretty cool to lay some eyes on some Rio's as I'd never seen any before.
Day3am6_zps65ba17cc.jpg

Day2pm10_zps40d8c68e.jpg

Day2am6_zps005b4056.jpg

We even let some critter's walk! My conscience got the better of me and I decided not to introduce Mr. Armadillo to Mr. HMR.
Day2am10_zps4796ec60.jpg

Horns weren't all the 'shopping list' but I'd never saw a Sika buck before either.
Day2pm8_zps7be9a9af.jpg

One of his girl friends didn't get the same pass.
Day2pm20_zps0fa4b7f6.jpg

Though quite a bit different than most hunts I've been on it was fun and I'm looking forward to getting to try it again. Way neat country and very friendly folks.

Another good thing about trips like this, is that is make a good testing ground for a new rifle or load. One could get more on critter evaluations in a place like this in a week that'd take 1/2 a decade or more in many places. I'm already looking at some boutique bullets to try next time.

Plus the accomodations sure beat the 7'X7' pup tent I usually stay in! ;)
D53E0206-3DE5-429F-8D5A-A3874F1DB019-3492-0000026CCB16C03C_zpsb6b8b312.jpg

I didn't weight how much went into the freezer, but I definitely have much less space than I had before. I'd guess at least 100# of ground pork and about 20# of Sika burger plus misc chops, loins, and a roast or two. Anyone's that not tried it, I find wild piggy very tasty! There'll be lots of sausage being consumed as I need to keep up my figure... ;)

I didn't weight how much went into the freezer, but I definitely have much less space than I had before. I'd guess at least 100# of ground pork and about 20# of Sika burger plus misc chops, loins, and a roast or two. Anyone's that not tried it, I find wild piggy very tasty! There'll be lots of sausage being consumed as I need to keep up my figure... ;)

This is why I love hunting pigs, year round freezer backfill and the legs are small enough you can roast them whole in the oven for 8 hours.

778749_4582541436304_558829467_o.jpg

jryoung- Wish I'd have saw that pic earlier! I had a couple whole legs about that size when I got home, but they were deboned and ground.

Culinary update, my wife made some white chili using the pork instead of pulled chicken. MAAAAVELOUS!

Thanks for helping. Come back soon and do it again.

Looks like a good time was had by all. :)

Back