Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Tents

Ben Lamb

So I'm getting rid of the redneck riviera (early 90's slide in Lance) after bear season and will be moving to a wall tent or some such large tent. I've been looking over the Davis Tent packages, etc, as well as the Cabela's Alakanak. Anybody have tents they swear by?

I know Davis makes a solid product & is competitively priced. Being the cheap SOB I am, I'm always looking for value over name-brand recognition. Used tents, new companies looking for market share, etc are all welcome options too. Hoping for something in the 12x14 realm, or there abouts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ben,,,, I have zero experience with the Cabela's tent but have used canvas wall tents all my life. IMO there is nothing that compares to a canvas wall tent and stove for a hunting camp.

Montana Canvas, in Bozeman, build really good tents as well as Billing's Tent & Awning. 10oz canvas will be cheaper, lighter and easier to set up but will not last as long. 12oz or heavier canvas will last decades of hard use if properly cared for. If intended use involves late spring to early fall, I would recommend a screened door and window. Wall tents can get warm when in the sun and you'll need to keep the bugs at bay. Also, make sure that the tent has a sewn in sod-cloth at the bottom of the tent walls. Side wall height is also something to consider as the higher you go the heavier the tent is to wrestle. A steel tent frame is also a big plus especially when setting up camp in an area with limited timber. Size wise, a 12'x14' 12oz+ will have space for up to three with some room to move around but it will be heavy.

I use a 8'x10' 10oz with 3' sides as my "away from the truck" cold weather camp. I also have a 8'x10' 12oz with 5' sides when setting up next to a open road. My tents work well for up to two people and they work great for my solo adventures.

Just realize that setting up and breaking down camp will take some time, especially compared to your slide-in!

Mtnhunter

PS: The photos of a big elk rack leaning up against a wall tent are just amazing! Good luck with your 700 tag!!

I went through a long process before settling on a Davis Tent. Those guys are just easy to work with, never bad-mouth their competition, and make recommendations on what to look for even if you don't buy one of their tents.

I had my tent repaired after about 12 years of use, very minor stuff, zipper wasn't working right, a couple small holes and a few grommets replaced...came to like $50 for all of it. Talked with both of the owners and the son of one of the owners while I dropped off my tent...same guys I talked with when I bought my tent from them. These guys just don't own the business, they know their business, and are on the front line dealing with their customers. Just cant ask for a more professionally ran family business that knows their stuff on anything to do with a wall tent.

If I ever have to buy another wall tent (doubtful), only one I would consider is another Davis...

I'm leaning heavily to the Elk camp package from Davis. Not sure if I really need the fly & awning or if I can go with just an awning and not worry about the fly.

Having a covered exterior cooking area comes in handy especially if you're like me and hate when your gear smells like what you cooked the night before. Im not familiar enough with big tents to know if a fly is needed or not

Consider getting the large woodstove too.

No expert here on canvas, though I worked for an outfitter that used them for a while. The stuff is heavy, ties up a lot of truck space, and takes a good long while to dry out. Those are all things that matter to me.

Use a tarp for your fly. An awning is nice in sheltered areas but are no good in the wind. Agree with Mthuntr, go with the stove upgrade. Davis sounds like a great outfit to do business with and the elk camp package seems to be a reasonable deal.

I spent over 40 days in this tent last fall, 10 days in NW MT, 15 days in SE MT and 15 days along the front range. If taken care of properly a wall tent will last decades, this one is 18 years old!

As mentioned, racks and wall tents make for good photos!

I was in a similar situation about a year ago. I ended up going with Davis as well. Their CS has been top notch IMO. Any questions I had they have answered. Great people to deal with!

Qsy5oM9.jpg

I know the idea of having half the bed of the truck full of tent doesn't appeal to me. I would prefer a Seek Outside Tipi and collapsible stove over a canvas wall tent. But I can't break away from a tall 6-person cheap dome with a propane heater. It's a fraction of the price, a fraction of the work, and a still provides everything I need to a "luxurious" camp.

Davis can probably probably make you a second set of internal joints and you can make your own awning out to the front, or if there is a weld shop in Helena you can get someone to make them for you. My dad did this with his and it's allowed use to make an awning with a tarp out front and it is a big game changer. Covered cooking area, wood storage, dirty boot area etc. etc.

Davis can probably probably make you a second set of internal joints and you can make your own awning out to the front, or if there is a weld shop in Helena you can get someone to make them for you. My dad did this with his and it's allowed use to make an awning with a tarp out front and it is a big game changer. Covered cooking area, wood storage, dirty boot area etc. etc.

View attachment 105119
what he said. I've got extra corners so I can make my 12x12 enclosed into 12x24 roofed over. makes a heck of a difference cooking at night, wood storage, or just crap you don't want to get wet with dew overnight. The wood heat is much nicer than propane in my opinion, clothes drying don't take forever, and you can always have a pot of coffee warm

Get a bigger tent than you think you need. I really like setting up the front area to cook off the wood stove and set a small folding table against the wall to keep food and utensils on. It’s nice to be able to cook inside if the weather is not good.

Get a bigger tent than you think you need. I really like setting up the front area to cook off the wood stove and set a small folding table against the wall to keep food and utensils on. It’s nice to be able to cook inside if the weather is not good.
And to get a little further away from guys in the tent who snore :ROFLMAO:

I might be looking to get rid of mine, Ben. It’s only been used once for hunting. Set up two other times in the yard. It’s a 14x16 with internal frame and wood stove. Let me know if you’re interested.

Attachments

• 996C8086-151A-4F97-9D88-C76B9E1A96D6.jpeg
    996C8086-151A-4F97-9D88-C76B9E1A96D6.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 41
  • 9B29D2E3-CE09-4369-B75B-EF158FF141C1.jpeg
    9B29D2E3-CE09-4369-B75B-EF158FF141C1.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 41
CPO bought I Davis at the show last year and we used it this past 2nd Season. He ended up with a 16x20 and it is incredible. As mentioned above we do an awning out of a heavy weight tarp for the kitchen and it is a good setup. We had 5 people, all our stuff and PLENTY of room. We did use a fly but will this year and reseal the seams......we almost 2 days of pouring rain and it finally started to drip. Everything has a limit to some degree. Got the angle kit with it and have the internal frame. I think it is the best way to go.

For reference, a buddy that shares camp sometimes has an Alagnak. It goes up pretty easy, is lighter and is a good design. Biggest downfall is that it simply won't hold hear anywhere near what a canvas will. He burns a LOT more wood to stay warm. Also, there is no way the nylon will last like the canvas.

My vote is def canvas and a wood stove......it is nice knowing you have unlimited heat no matter what. Here are some pics

Attachments

• 20181018_140710.jpg
    20181018_140710.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 80
  • 20181018_140732.jpg
    20181018_140732.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 81
  • GEDC0887.JPG
    GEDC0887.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 74
I spent a couple of months researching wall tents a few years ago. There are a lot of great tents out there. I talked to several companies and went with Davis due to the customer service. I couldn’t be happier. I ordered the pole connectors for the awning and use a tarp that covers the tent and awning area. I attach tarps to the sides and 1/2 the front. It’s so nice to have a dry, wind free area to cook, clean and store wood/coolers/stuff. 11B1331B-7C1A-41F8-A2C1-C1DD38F62370.jpeg7DC444C7-A610-45D2-82E3-267A572573BF.jpeg

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back