Caribou Gear Tarp

Tell me about running Jet boats in Montana

Doublecluck

Anyone run jet boats on the Missouri, Jellystone, Bighorn? I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a Prodigy 1860 with a 115/80 and specifically have a couple questions. How does the jet work in the cold? What’s too cold? Can a guy hunt all of waterfowl season or what’s the temp they won’t run safely due to lack of cooling water/frozen other? Is something like a 18’ with a jet tunnel going to get me pretty much anywhere on those rivers or is it too big/small for some? My intent is to hunt waterfowl mainly but would also use it in the breaks/fort peck under the right conditions for big game and of course when I draw that sheep tag. 🙏. Is a jet pretty much only way to go on the rivers? 115/80 enough? Too much/too little? In most cases I’m assuming we will be transporting people, dogs, decoys to a spot then hunting public or below the high water mark from shore and moving the boat up or down river. Is that the norm or are people running boat blinds commonly?

I can't provide any info specific to Montana's rivers, but I have used an outboard jet for duck hunting on the Snake River here in Idaho for a long time. I can answer your question about temperature limits.

If your engine is a 2-stroke with an external oil tank and injection pump, cold weather can be a problem. I learned that from a very expensive experience several years ago. The oil got too stiff to pump but there was no warning alarm. Just a short time of burning gas without oil mixed badly damaged the engine and I was lucky to limp back to the boat ramp.

The mechanic who repaired the damage advised me to get rid of the oil injector and pre-mix my gas. I started doing that, and have run the river in sub-zero temperatures since then without any issues.

Maybe newer engines have a better design to keep the oil tank from getting too cold. I haven't kept up with recent design changes.

At the end of each hunt, the water in the cooling system should be drained so it doesn't freeze and potentially cause damage. After the boat is out of the water, I start the engine and run it for just 2-3 seconds. This is to spin the water pump impeller and force water out. Then I raise the engine to the highest tilt position to let it drain while I prep things for the road. After a while, I run the engine for another 2-3 seconds, wait, then lower the engine after water stops draining. Sometimes I repeat that sequence if I'm not positive all the water came out.

I have also learned that in severe cold, I can't start the engine immediately after putting the boat in the water. The internal parts of the lower unit freeze up and the starter can't create enough torque to spin them. Since the river water is so much warmer than the air, after the engine has been submerged for a few minutes, the parts free up and it starts easily. I usually allow up to 15 minutes extra time at the ramp on frigid mornings because of this.

My boat is a 1660 with a 70/50. It can carry two people, one dog, and a couple dozen decoys easily. I have carried heavier loads than that on flat water in the summer, but wouldn't risk it on a river in the winter. I can hear the engine strain a bit and notice less freeboard with the heavier loads. I would expect the 1860 would have a higher weight rating. The Coast Guard capacity plate in the boat will show what is calculated to be the maximum safe amount.

Last edited:
I've been running the Missouri for 30 years. Ive never had the problem with oil picking up. I wonder if it's because I run a synthetic? The biggest issue with temperatures is , if the river begins slushing your done. Most years the river becomes iced before season over.

As far as size there's always a balancing act between size of boat and capacity. I typically hunt with 2-3 hunters and a lab then decoys being pushed by 150 power head. Some days I wish I had a smaller,lighter boat, but others glad I have capacity. I hunt from shore and size, require draft becomes an issue when finding place to hide it. Hope this helps.

I wish I owned a jet boat. I’ve mainly used 18 footers with a 90-115 horse outboard on the Yellowstone and Missouri. I wouldn’t go smaller, and I wouldn’t use a prop if I was serious about using it on rivers. Water temps don’t matter as much as ice does.

Wooldridge makes some sweet river boats.

Some great advice from the fellow ht members that have replied. I think you'll have a great little boat that's a do all for running those specific rivers. I've ram em all, not an expert by any means. Lots of fun running the rivers it all comes with experience and practice.

I sure miss my boat, one day I'll get another one. They're lots of fun. Good luck any questions just ask.

I wouldn’t screw with a prop. Ive run all over the mid Missouri in a Wooldridge Alaskan. It was a 16’ with an 80 outboard jet. It would be too small for what you’re wanting to do. Lots of gear and weight necessitates a longer hull. I’d check the weight capacity on the model you’re looking at, and go up a size if you’re close.

Getting up on plane could be tough in a boat that is short and loaded near capacity, all while you’re running in cold water and weather.

Paul did a great job of covering the nuances of cold water operations.

Slush is about the worst, seconded by dying floating weeds in the fall. My biggest problems in winter are 1. My lower control bucket will freeze and I can not get my boat into or out of neutral. That cable is going to break one of these days. 2. Water freezes inside my cooling system and although there is frozen water in there, the engine will overheat.

I have a direct injection 2 stroke and I’ve never had the oil freeze or fail to inject. I know they make snowmachines DI and some people bypass that. I have never considered bypassing that system.

Anyone run jet boats on the Missouri, Jellystone, Bighorn? I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a Prodigy 1860 with a 115/80 and specifically have a couple questions. How does the jet work in the cold? What’s too cold? Can a guy hunt all of waterfowl season or what’s the temp they won’t run safely due to lack of cooling water/frozen other? Is something like a 18’ with a jet tunnel going to get me pretty much anywhere on those rivers or is it too big/small for some? My intent is to hunt waterfowl mainly but would also use it in the breaks/fort peck under the right conditions for big game and of course when I draw that sheep tag. 🙏. Is a jet pretty much only way to go on the rivers? 115/80 enough? Too much/too little? In most cases I’m assuming we will be transporting people, dogs, decoys to a spot then hunting public or below the high water mark from shore and moving the boat up or down river. Is that the norm or are people running boat blinds commonly?

I had a prodigy 1860 with a 80HP jet, what a badazz boat it was after I got through some initial issues that it had from the manufacturer. If I could see water, I wasn’t afraid to run it with that boat. I could cruise up river at about 32-33 mph. I never ran it in super cold temps but down to 15-20 with no issues. I got a flat bottom, would not do that again. Didnt like to turn hard when I needed it to, it basically slid around corners. I strictly ran the boat on th MissourI. My needs changed and I went to a hewescraft for lake fishing/trolling.

Feel free to PM me and I can give more details.

Some guys I went to high school with took one over Brennan’s wave in downtown Missoula and got them banned on that section of river. That’s the extent of my knowledge of jet boating in Montana.

Some guys I went to high school with took one over Brennan’s wave in downtown Missoula and got them banned on that section of river. That’s the extent of my knowledge of jet boating in Montana.
Did they happen to get that on video ?

I had an 18-foot Hewescraft and a 175 HP inboard sport jet.
Ran it in the Missouri/Marias river for 14 years.
Never had a slush problem but moss and crap sucked, get it?
Never needed much for boat ramps either, just a hard bank to be able to pull the boat back out.
Always have a long handle shovel and a grate rake. I had a winch a dead man and I used a 20-foot cargo parachute to get off sand bars and gravel islands. No, it did not use wind, you hook it to the boat and deploy it in the current and the water will pull you off, PS be IN the boat when it does.

You know after saying all that I just sold it and got an 18 Foot Muddy buddy Mud boat and a 40 HP surface drive.

Like day and night, came changer.

Don't get the jet till you try a surface drive.

I run a 16 footer with a 60 hp outboard...both jet and prop.
I run the jet for shallow gravel stream hunts.
The jet grate does clog with leaves in the fall and ice during later runs.
The tunnel for an outboard that runs a prop and jet is deeper than one for a jet all the time.
It takes be about a half hour to switch from prop to jet unit.

I like a 16 foot boat because I can get unstuck solo using a pry bar and I run solo most of the time.
Getting unstuck can be difficult for larger boats.
duck_camp.jpg

Last edited:
X2 on more horsepower. I have a much bigger boat, 18' North River, and use it mainly in lakes but it has a 200HP two stroke and it isn't too much by any means. The Missouri isnt high elevation by any means but any elevation sucks power.

That boat would be perfect for what you are describing. But I have been seeing a few of the surface drives running the rivers recently.

I run a 16 foot jon w/ a 60/40 jet. It gets the job done, but needs to be just a bit bigger to really do what I'm doing with it now. 3 guys, dog or two, decoys etc. But I've had it for 15 years and its here to stay.

As far as cold weather goes, if its a jet disconnect the reverse bucket and wire it open. As mentioned above, that is the first thing to freeze, and then you are stuck trying to force it open. I've broke three shifters that way! Now I keep the tools on hand to disconnect it and wire it open on the fly if need be. Instead of resorting to trying to force it open.

Back