Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Tell me about Great Falls, MT

I lived in GF for a couple years in the early 2000's. It was run down and there was crime, it was really cold for extended periods and windy, and it isn't the most beautiful place in MT...BUT...the hunting and fishing were great and still are. I've also lived in Bozeman, Livingston, and Dillon, I've spent a lot of time in Missoula and Kalispell, and I'm currently in Billings. Of those, I'd prefer not to live in Bozeman, Kalispell, or Missoula. Dillon was probably my favorite, and GF/Billings tied for #2.

GF would be the hands down winner if Piano Pat were still around!

If it was Spokane vs Great Falls I'd move there in a heartbeat.

While I don't love the City, there are tons of great areas nearby.

Pretty much everything an outdoor guy could ask for. Rivers, lakes, mountains, plains areas close by.

Much cheaper real estate than Bozeman and some of those areas.

Yeah the wind blows more than some areas but I think the good outweighs the bad, especially compared to Eastern Washington.

Great Falls has always struck me as an oddity. It lacks the character of other cities in Montana. It isn’t particularly scenic. It’s in the middle of everything, yet it’s hard to find a reason to go there.

Of all the towns in Montana, it’s the one to me that feels the most run down, industrial, just kinda blah. The crime, particularly in the last 5 years or so, seems disproportionate for what the town is. My husband’s family is from and most still live there, se we visit regularly. In almost 20 years it still hasn’t grown on me, and I can’t quite articulate why. But you are within striking distance of some great outdoor recreation.

It ain't no Glasgow, that's for sure.

I like GF. Tons of outdoor opportunities close by, and some of the best bird hunting in the state is within and hour. Awesome fishery through town, and below/above town on the Mo for a variety of species.

Weather does keep the less hardy from staying though.

As a new resident of Florence CO, Pueblo is now the Big Lights. It is an armpit I wouldn't want to live in, but now I kind of look forward to going to P-town. . . once in awhile.
I live in P-West and you really can't compare P-West to the City of Pueblo. Not real sure about the dynamic of Great Falls but it sounds very similar and within 10 minutes of the crime and congestion you can have a nice area. Close enough to the city for good jobs, entertainment, groceries, banking, etc. but far enough to get out of the grime. If you can make a reasonable or better salary and lower cost of living, seems good to me!

Pretty much everyone I've ever met from Great Falls will defend it tooth and nail. For those of us that visit, I've never caught on to the love affair. My coworkers all think of it as a possible fun place to work (law enforcement), but not a great place to actually live. Billings is viewed in the same light. Like others have said though, good outdoor opportunities nearby, and it would be whatever you make of it. To me, Helena still strikes a pretty solid balance for Montana cities- a bit of history, mountains/outdoor activities close by, still affordable(ish), not too many imports, and not Great Falls or Butte.

If Montana cities showed up at a party, Great Falls would be an airmen that did his 3 years in the silos, then gave meth a try, stole some things, got a criminal history and is now living in a manufactured home while working his butt off to get back on his feet while lamenting the loss of Piano Pat from the Sip N Dip.
Missoula has dreads and is drinking Bong Water, still rocking Washington plates on the 2004 Subaru, and brought a "person experiencing homelessness" with them to the party out of charity.
Bozeman showed up trying to look like they just got off the river or ski hill in a brand new Audi Q7 e-Tron with a "Ridge Run" sticker, also with California plates, has a sizeable trust fund, and talks about "living simply" outdoors to anyone who will listen while they "camp" in a $150K Sprinter Van.
Helena is drinking Miner's Gold quietly and doesn't want to talk politics, because everyone thinks they're red since they're from Montana, but in reality they work for a moderate democrat.
Butte is doing a keg stand and trying to impress either Helena or Great Falls' sisters, talking about how they were the largest city between Chicago and San Fran in the early 1900's and they have the world's largest superfund site. But everyone still likes Butte, because they are unabashedly Butte and authentic to their core.
Billings is drinking Coors light, talking casually with everyone, with whom they are generally well liked even though everyone's odds of getting shot went up 80% with them in the building.
Kalispell is petitioning everyone for the ability to open carry belt-fed machine guns and to eliminate the wolves.
Miles City is wearing a sweat stained ball cap, drinking a Coors Light, and wishing they were at a different party with other cities. But eventually holds Buttes feet for another keg stand and then goes home with Billings's sister, only to hook up with her mom.

Pretty much everyone I've ever met from Great Falls will defend it tooth and nail. For those of us that visit, I've never caught on to the love affair. My coworkers all think of it as a possible fun place to work (law enforcement), but not a great place to actually live. Billings is viewed in the same light. Like others have said though, good outdoor opportunities nearby, and it would be whatever you make of it. To me, Helena still strikes a pretty solid balance for Montana cities- a bit of history, mountains/outdoor activities close by, still affordable(ish), not too many imports, and not Great Falls or Butte.

If Montana cities showed up at a party, Great Falls would be an airmen that did his 3 years in the silos, then gave meth a try, stole some things, got a criminal history and is now living in a manufactured home while working his butt off to get back on his feet while lamenting the loss of Piano Pat from the Sip N Dip.
Missoula has dreads and is drinking Bong Water, still rocking Washington plates on the 2004 Subaru, and brought a "person experiencing homelessness" with them to the party out of charity.
Bozeman showed up trying to look like they just got off the river or ski hill in a brand new Audi Q7 e-Tron with a "Ridge Run" sticker, also with California plates, has a sizeable trust fund, and talks about "living simply" outdoors to anyone who will listen while they "camp" in a $150K Sprinter Van.
Helena is drinking Miner's Gold quietly and doesn't want to talk politics, because everyone thinks they're red since they're from Montana, but in reality they work for a moderate democrat.
Butte is doing a keg stand and trying to impress either Helena or Great Falls' sisters, talking about how they were the largest city between Chicago and San Fran in the early 1900's and they have the world's largest superfund site. But everyone still likes Butte, because they are unabashedly Butte and authentic to their core.
Billings is drinking Coors light, talking casually with everyone, with whom they are generally well liked even though everyone's odds of getting shot went up 80% with them in the building.
Kalispell is petitioning everyone for the ability to open carry belt-fed machine guns and to eliminate the wolves.
Miles City is wearing a sweat stained ball cap, drinking a Coors Light, and wishing they were at a different party with other cities. But eventually holds Buttes feet for another keg stand and then goes home with Billings's sister, only to hook up with her mom.
This is hilarious, and shockingly accurate 🤣🤣🤣

As a new resident of Florence CO, Pueblo is now the Big Lights. It is an armpit I wouldn't want to live in, but now I kind of look forward to going to P-town. . . once in awhile.

Ah yes, Florence, where all the wives and girlfriends move to so they can be closer to their incarcerated loved ones ;)

Ah yes, Florence, where all the wives and girlfriends move to so they can be closer to their incarcerated loved ones ;)
200.gif

Last edited:
If all you are interested in is hunting, then Great Falls over Spokane. Apart from that, I'd be staying in Spokane and buying an out of state tag for Montana. Someone said that they prefer Great Falls winters over Spokane winters, maybe they just prefer longer winters?

Someone said that they prefer Great Falls winters over Spokane winters, maybe they just prefer longer winters?
No. I prefer more days of sunshine in the winter, and less fog and inversion that is so common to the Inland Northwest.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back