Teddy Coming Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both had complex relationships with people of color. TR was a trailblazer and endured no end of slight for having people like Booker T Washington to the Whitehouse. Meanwhile, FDR's activities outside of internment often garnered him the epithet mentioned in the poem about TR, along with the war.

While statues may be the current trigger for both sides in this conversation, the complexity of it all gets lost unless we have the audacity to listen to the other side, and find the reasons why they believe why they do.

This is important to know if anyone ever wants to mature and grow as a person. The vast majority of personally held belief were arrived at via personal life experiences, or experiences of those close to them. Their beliefs are real, they are generally held fast, and their feelings aren't faked. There's that old saying about, ". . . walk a mile in their shoes. . ." that still rings true.

Wow, that thread grew quickly. I have to say, I've seen this statue many, many times. That stretch of Central Park West is one of my secret parking hot spots when I stay in Manhattan for work.
The actual artistry of the statue is pretty impressive and Teddy R definitely earned some respect from us. However, this statue, in this day and age, really looks tone deaf, I've always thought so. It really is a regal looking white guy on a horse, leading the way while his "lessers" walk behind him, on foot. That's what the statue feels like. If there were a statue of TR there, by himself, I don't think we'd be hearing any calls for its removal. I think removing it is probably a good move.

yeah right, they just pulled down Junipero Serra.

I too am shocked that indigenous activists were upset with the lionization of a man who instilled a system of religion that subjugated them & enshrined genocide.
Yep, that's one way to see it, and Jesus Christ was a " Gluttonous man and a winebibber"

And I bet that there wasn't one indigenous person there pulling it down.

Theodore Roosevelt was an American, through and true.

It's a somber state of affairs when the social media bias focus only upon what floats their adverse agenda to smear any person to raise their media glory.

REALITY CHECK for fellow Americans interested in who and what Theodore Roosevelt did as the 26th President of our Great country.

He was a man with convictions for employee and employer. He fought against his own party AND his opposing party, who were found working hand in hand (read up on Boss Party, if interested)

In Butte Montana, while addressing "colored citizens" Theodore gave this speech while working to mitigate the management vs workers

In Santiago I fought beside the colored troops of the 9th and 10th Cavalry. If a man is good enough to have him shot at while fighting beside me under the same flag, he is good enough for me to try to give him a square deal in civil life.

Same day while mitigating the lock between mining management and workers, he stated the following to Silver Bow Labor and Trades Assembly;

...one who tries to be an American president, acting upon the principle of giving a square deal to each and every one.

Continuing his fight for the "Square Deal";

This administration stands for a square deal all around …if there is one thing that I do desire to stand for it is for a square deal, for an attitude of kindly justice as between man and man, without regard to what any man’s creed or birthplace or social position may be, so long as, in his life and in his work, he shows the qualities that entitle him to the respect of his fellows.

A portion of Theodore Roosevelt's address, as the 1906 Nobel Peace Prize recipient;

After much thought, I have concluded that the best and most fitting way to apply the amount of the prize is by using it as a foundation to establish at Washington a permanent industrial peace committee. The object will be to strive for better and more equitable relations among my countrymen who are engaged, whether as capitalists or as wage workers, in industrial and agricultural pursuits. This will carry out the purpose of the founder of the prize, for in modern life it is as important to work for the cause of just and righteous peace in the industrial world as in the world of nations.

I get it, Buzz - you're not interested in statues that stretch Washington D.C. such as Abraham Lincoln, etc...
I say it does. It inspires children and adults to learn who the person that's been revered with a statue, named monument, etc... did for our great country. It presses for education for who created / how America came to be.

Obama spoke of Theodore Roosevelt in 2011 for Roosevelt's fight for workers and employers equality, mentioned in the quotes above in his fight for his next term.

Just curious how you learn all that from a statue?

Some people are visual learners, without a visual aid these people might as well have never existed. Just text in a book. Visiting a monument or seeing a statue might trigger someone to study people from the past and their life and achievements, both good and bad.I still remember seeing a statue of Ronald Reagan with this quote on it.

"America's best days are yet to come. Our proudest moments are yet to be. Our most glorious achievements are just ahead."

I think his words still hold true today by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back