Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Tatonka!

Went over to the BFC website and was reading their updated field reports. It doesn't look like Randy's made the news there yet. However, one nugget I gathered from the site (and it comes from the internet so it must be true) Randy and crew are unwitting pawns in a nefarious government plot to exterminate the bison population.:rolleyes:

Well you break out the snacks and share with your friends. Doesn't hurt to ask questions about the type of camera they are using and how you change out the battery etc... :D You talk about the weather, what nice skis they have. Do they eat meat (which they both confirmed). They were actually nice but I wasn't going to let nice keep them constantly on the tails of Mr. Newberg.

Brad the cameraman said it best as we were skinning the beast, you could see 2 guys sneaking around in the trees. He said "Why don't they just come over and watch instead of acting all weird sneaking around."

Dink I don't think it's weird that you think I'm cute;)

Dustin F I do think it's weird you obsessed with that photo ;)

Awesome!

Way to go Randy and Co.

I hope to draw my once in a lifetime buffalo tag in AZ before I'm too old go.

Late side note:

Sounds like if you ever need a Wingman in order to tag a buffalo, Lawnboy is your man;)

Wait, I got that backwards, the Wingman is supposed to talk to the buffalo while you make your move.............damn head cold.

Congratulations!!!!

Wow what a great hunt. Fair chase on as close to wild bison as we can see right now in Montana!!! This is a dream I am sure many of us have had and I share with Randy the hope for more opportunity.

It also concerns me when the MT legislature has an open war on wildlife. HB 249 includes the following language:
"When a bison, wild buffalo, or wild bison is
13 present on private property where it is not authorized to be, the landowner or the agent of a landowner may take
14 any action the landowner considers necessary to protect the private property, including but not limited to:
15 (a) the taking of the animal;

This allows landowners to shoot on sight! Not allowed with any other wildlife. As Randy said lets treat bison as wildlife not livestock

Great story, great hunt.

Just for fun, I looked up the “Buffalo Field Campaign”. Sound like the Bison version of wolf huggers.
I would have loved to see the look on their faces at the sound of the shot.

Well done, team! The variables you had to deal with makes backcountry elk hunting look simple. Bison burgers all around...

Randy, Congratulations and I look forward to the show.

One request. Did you film the butchering and can you show it. Might sound like a strange request but most people will never be able to hunt a wild buf and how it's butchered would be interesting.

Randy, Congratulations and I look forward to the show.

One request. Did you film the butchering and can you show it. Might sound like a strange request but most people will never be able to hunt a wild buf and how it's butchered would be interesting.

Yes, we filmed it from a distance, to show the time lapse of how it can be done to take an animal this size and convert them into manageable sized pieces. I doubt it will make the episode in detail, as there is too much other substance of the story. Odds are it will end up on the OYOA YouTube channel at some point.

Randy,
Congratulations on the hunt and the wonderful trophy, taken as it should have been.

Also, thanks for taking us along on the hunt with you and for your considerable efforts to make sure hunters are represented as they should be. You are a good man Charlie Brown.

Great story, great hunt.

Just for fun, I looked up the “Buffalo Field Campaign”. Sound like the Bison version of wolf huggers.
I would have loved to see the look on their faces at the sound of the shot.

Just as a little sidenote to the hunt, the few BFC folks that we ran into were pretty decent and respectful people. In fact, a couple of them noted that they hunt themselves. Although they have the radicals in their group for sure, the ones we encountered and visited with were not the "in your face" people. I think Randy's decision to not shoot one as it came across the line went a long way with them as they even noted to us that they were really impressed of the respectfulness the hunt team had.

Every group is going to have its radicals that are just unbearable and completely out of touch with reality but at least the few we ran appeared to understood the concept of hunting and the model of wildlife management. It really seemed like they were more furious with the agencies treating them like cattle rather than wild animals, ie the hazing, and slaughters of past years. The tribal members who have come down recently and just hammered those bison were also on "the BFC chit list". I think the actual state hunters are not the ones that really have them up in arms. In fact the one guy clearly stated, we don't have a problem with the few state hunters that come down and harvest the bison, its the reasons stated below.

Many may not know but earlier on this MT Bison season, the tribal members came down and just hammered that herd, the numbers they walked away with in a weekend was in the 30's, and sadly enough, some were wasted by not having proper means to take care fo the meat. When you look at the numbers the BFC posts on their website, I believe its up around 67 bison killed this year to date, less than 10% of them have actually been taken by state hunters, the rest have been tribal members.

I sure hope some things can change in the future to allow more public places for wild bison to roam and more opportunities to hunt them. Super awesome animals and really neat being a part of a hunt like this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back