Target practice on Wild Horses

I'm just a retired guy that has adopted these terrible animals from the BLM's program and given them productive lives instead of being targer practice as mentioned here. I've been involved in the Mustang Heritage program, and well versed in the Wild Horse and Burro Act that Federally protects these animals. I got a college degree in natural resource management, live it daily, and at nearly 72 years old, have more outdoors experience than about 3 of you guys put together. But go ahead and bash me for believing that Mustangs and Burros have a right to live wild and free.
So why not give horse advocates like you grazing permits. Must be many others like you that would be willing to take on the responsibility of management. The BLM is a land agency and should not be in the livestock industry.

So why not give horse advocates like you grazing permits. Must be many others like you that would be willing to take on the responsibility of management. The BLM is a land agency and should not be in the livestock industry.
I think this is a good idea. Wild horse advocates can mobilize to support political fights, they could just as easily collectivize donations to pay for X number of horses. Every horse person could donate a modest amount, probably just a few dollars, and it would add up.

me suggesting I'd come shoot your dog. How would that go over with a pet owner?
I believe rwc is a devout cat person, barking up the wrong tree so to speak with that comparison

Besides, bad comparison to start, I pay for all my dog's food without drawing from a public resource to do so, and I keep her on my own property.

I think this is a good idea. Wild horse advocates can mobilize to support political fights, they could just as easily collectivize donations to pay for X number of horses. Every horse person could donate a modest amount, probably just a few dollars, and it would add up.
Just remember the majority of the cost to a grazing permit is not in the fee you pay to the Gov, but in the work you do to comply with the conditions of the permit.
You are right, there are lot of horse advocates, No reason they shouldn't be able to pass the hat and pay for all the costs instead of tax payers. I bet the horse advocates could do management more efficiently than the BLM and I would be fine if they made some money adopting out the surplus horses. Sounds like a business opportunity.

Last edited:
Round up all wild horses and burros and ship them to countries that eat them or make it easier for people who want to adopt them. Native wildlife > wild horses

So looks like the population issue crisis is getting some attention. Its a start. But IMO whats the plan? BLM is well aware of population growth so what us the plan oer year instead of these giant roundups where it is extremely difficult to manage the numbers collected?

The BLM plan seems to be reactive instead of proactive. Gee another well run gov't program.

Cool. Share your knowledge with us instead of being a dick. The first post mentions that the title thread was to get attention. Nobody here is shooting horses and burros.

It is still a dumb title, sure to unnecessarily be offensive to many. Makes hunters look like schmucks too. The OP could change it.

The BLM plan seems to be reactive instead of proactive. Gee another well run gov't program.
Have you voted for people that have supported the agency or the people that have cut, slashed and done everything they can to inhibit the agency? Just exactly what do you expect them to do - given federal law. The policy comes before the management and policy, here, comes from congress.

It is still a dumb title, sure to unnecessarily be offensive to many. Makes hunters look like schmucks too. The OP could change it.
One doesn't have to look very far on the www to find a reason to be outraged. 2rocky is as benign a poster as it gets, and that also counts for something.

One doesn't have to look very far on the www to find a reason to be outraged. 2rocky is as benign a poster as it gets, and that also counts for something.
I don't follow your point - because there is a lot worse makes something good? I think not. Don't know rocky, but I'll take your word for it. Knew I should not have opened this thread, but after seeing the most recent elk poaching thread and it's comments and then this title, I did the wrong thing.

I believe rwc is a devout cat person, barking up the wrong tree so to speak with that comparison

Besides, bad comparison to start, I pay for all my dog's food without drawing from a public resource to do so, and I keep her on my own property.

To be fair, I'm a cat person (as in mine). The rest are assholes.

No, nobody is shooting them, just poking fun with their crude remarks of saying that they ought to shoot them.
Most know they're protected under the 1971 Federal law. To some people, just saying they ought to shoot horses and burros, would be like me suggesting I'd come shoot your dog. How would that go over with a pet owner?
Shoot my dog or shoot a feral dog? I don't own a dog but in my mind there's a distinction.

Cows.

While I agree that feral equids (lets not forget burros), are a problem, relative to an over abundance of cows, I don't see them being nearly as big of a deal as bovines.

Just my take, and yes, I own horses, and yes, I do not shoot any live animals for simply "target practice" - which gives hunters a very black eye indeed.
Cattle are a commodity, ie they have value, and are heavily regulated. Feral horses are an invasive, (mostly) uncontrolled species, with no value (the feds can barely give them away) other than the emotional attachment that a few very vocal people have.

There is no comparison and the "target practice" was a snide joke - no one is actually shooting them.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back