Target practice on Wild Horses

When the ranchers could shoot the old stallion and replace it with one of their own then let them run for a few years and then the next guy would do the same thing, it was great. Better for the horses and for the land, the ranchers would catch and break whatever they wanted to use or sell. It kept the gene pool clean and the horses were actually good. The first horses that I owned were mustangs and they were awesome but when the BLM took over management things took a serous turn for the worse, now they are just inbred nags.

When the ranchers could shoot the old stallion and replace it with one of their own then let them run for a few years and then the next guy would do the same thing, it was great. Better for the horses and for the land, the ranchers would catch and break whatever they wanted to use or sell. It kept the gene pool clean and the horses were actually good. The first horses that I owned were mustangs and they were awesome but when the BLM took over management things took a serous turn for the worse, now they are just inbred nags.
You lost me after shooting the stallion. No way was it "better for the land"

You lost me after shooting the stallion. No way was it "better for the land"
Sorry I should have been more specific. The point that I didn't make was that they kept the herds smaller and more scattered so that they were eating and drinking themselfs and everything else out of house and home. I agree that now they have desimated the landscape so badly that killing them off isn't a terrible idea.

Dump problem griz and woofs in the areas where the horses are and let the problem sort itself out

Drop some in SF, some in Silicon Valley, some in Portland and Seattle, some in DC, some in Central Park, hell throw a few in J-hole too. Maybe give a few to the Leo, Dr. Billy Vaxx from Microsoft, and throw in some for Kamalatoe and Weekend at Joey's. Minneapolis deserves some too.

See lots of people deserve to experience these majestic animals. Maybe we send a wolf or 12 to Central Park too? See how they like em in their backyards.

Like the War on Terror, The War on Poverty, and The War on Drugs?
No the BLM trying to be in the horse business is more similar to the USFS trying to operate trade schools, aka Job Corps. Ultimately contractors end up doing all the work because none of the feds will do it. In the process a lot of $ will be wasted and not much benefit will be realized.

Also similar to the feds management of grazing rights, aka giving them away for pennies on the dollar.
And similar to the feds management of timber resources, aka doing little to focus on utilization and then using seemingly unlimited piles of cash to extinguish the resulting fires.

Best pack animals I have ever owned.
Will carry more of their bodyweight than any other animal, puppy dog attitude, and will follow me anywhere without hesitation.
$125 each from the BLM.
I'll leave the llamas to the hipsters.
I really like the idea of this. Not sure if I'd actually like owning them, but the idea is great.

What have been your resources and struggles to bring them along?

I really like the idea of this. Not sure if I'd actually like owning them, but the idea is great.

What have been your resources and struggles to bring them along?
I've trained a lot of horse and they are definitely different but once you learn their tendencies they are actually easier to train than horses. They think their way through problems instead of fighting their way out of a problem.
A lot of good resources out there, these guys have been the best for me:

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back