Talking to the DOW for information?

zadvorney

I'm looking at hunting with a rifle for the first time this year. I got a second season OTC tag and have an Idea where I'd like to go. That being said, I'd like to ask some questions of the CO DOW as to narrow down my choice. Who do I call for info, biologist, warden,headquarters? I don't want to call someone during their busy day and ask dumb questions, just to the point ones. The ones I have so far. Trail access for UTV, foot only, horse, 4X4, migration patterns in the area at that time of year. Possible elevation preference of elk at that time. Hunter population usage. Weather considerations with access. Other possible events going on in the hunting area that would bring more people into the area. Can you think of more?

If you go on the DPW site, or have a regulations pamphlet, there's a phone number for what they call 'hunt planners'. The questions you have are what they are there for.

Call the DWM for the unit you will hunt. Then after your questions ask if he suggests calling the biologist as well. Find the DWM by calling the area office nearvthere and state you want name and phone number. Those folks have been amazing about following, in my experience.

I have got somewhat useful info in the past talking to wardens and biologist, so when you call a regional office ask to speak with both. More than likely they will transfer you to their answering machine, then play phone tag for a while. Before doing that look at this if you haven't already;

http://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/huntingatlas/

In the map layers you can specify Elk and look at ranges, concentrations, migration corridors etc.

Like the post above the mapping tool will show migration routes, winter areas and such; and they are accurate for the Gunnison Basin and SW corner. I don't know about the other regions. I've talked to two DWM in the field that were beneficially in locating areas to hunt and general info. The regional guides will provide enough detail in locating good areas to hunt.

I keep in touch with the forestry officers too. They have always been helpful with things like food sources, seasonal weather patterns, recent weather patterns, water, etc.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back