PEAX Equipment

Taking a cow elk on an either sex tag

At this point in my elk hunting career, I have probably maxed out my elk antler mounts in the house.
If I add another I will have to move one to the garage. With that in mind I'd gladly shoot a cow on an ES tag vs a raghorn bull.

The exception would be, if it was an Archery tag for Roosevelt Elk, or a 280+ RM bull.

depends on the tag. Up to this point, I've only hunted general units. My party's hunting philosophy is, "See elk, shoot elk". If I had a tag that took a lot of points, I would probably hold off for an opportunity at decent bull, knowing I might eat the tag.

I’ve shot cows on either sex tags , and never regretted it . But I don’t live in elk country , and I get only a few days a year to hunt elk . If I lived closer and had more time then I’d probably wait for a bull

I am having the same dilemma myself. Both my wife and I have some LE tags for the Missouri River breaks. And I’ve come to my own conclusion that the purpose for our first elk will be the meat first horns second. The goal is obviously a bull but if it comes down to it I have told myself a cow is better than coming home empty
The Missouri Breaks is where my bull/cow tag was for. I still don't regret my decision. It was a fabulous hunt over there in country my father grew up in and yes he was with us hunting as well. In a week hunting I shot the nice fat cow, a nice mule deer buck, and a nice antelope buck.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back