Tag soup with a dash of close calls....

montanadogs

Just curious to see who else is having tag soup this year, and also who could not seal the deal. I had about 6 close ones. Two I passed on. One was a big 5x6, the other was a small 3x3. I started in Sep. and ended with today. Saw plenty of cows and small bulls through out the season but I guess was too picky.

So lets here some of the stories......

MTDOGS

I've got tag stew --saw nothing in Montana that I'd shoot, although I could've shot a doe, but decided to wait and then I just said screw it as I had meat coming from my Swedish cousin and I saw nothing in CA to shoot either, I'm picky also these days ---so that's 2 montana deer tags, 2 CA deer tags and 1 CA bear tag--my choice though so I can't complain, just the way it turns out these days for me----chris

I luckily filled my main tags.
Ate a whitetail doe tag, antelope doe tag, and the wolf tag. I was in the wolves all season though, so it could've came together on one of them too.

Only one other guy I hunt with tagged out that I can think of, and that was just a cow elk and a whitetail buck, he doesn't bear or antelope hunt at all.

I ate my deer tag. I passed a bunch of smaller bucks in archery, messed up a chance for a shot at a decent 4 point whitetail. Rifle season I passed up around 8-10 small to medium muleys. I had a decent 5point whitetail get away from me Friday. No worries for me though, I had a great season and we have plenty of meat. NEXT YEAR!!!!!!.....

Oh I forgot about my wolf tag and my antelope tag. I didn't get to hunt antelope at all and I wasn't into wolf sign at all. And my bear tag.

I ate an New Mexico archery elk tag this year. The bulls were just not bugling during our week. I passed on a small 5x5 halfway thru the hunt with dreams of something bigger. Pass the salt please.

I have ample ingredients for whitetail paper stew. Hopefully this little cold snap will diminish some of it.

Thursday is my last day to try and fill my whitetail buck rifle tag. Going to try a new area and see what happens. Supposed to be a bunch of bucks that have not been hunted this year.

I still have Montana antelope, Elk and Deer Tags.
I confess that I did fill my mountain goat tag but to be honest, although I enjoyed hunting the mountain goat I am having difficulty getting over the smell of it. Will be making jerky or sausage shortly but not holding my breath, I think that the 3 paper tags that I still have might taste better in soup then this mountain goat.

ate my bear, lion, and elk tags. at least I had a damn good time not filling them, and there's some deer in the freezer from a little forkie, I'm gonna be tired of ducks by the end of January.

Ate my pronghorn archery tag and more than likely will eat my whitetail doe tag and my general deer tag. I may try to sneak in another deer hunt depending on weather situations.

I didn't even get drawn for anything this year & I've eaten so much paper over the years (0 for lifetime on elk) that the neighbors are starting to spray for termites.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back