Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

SW Montana Bears

I recognize that tree! ;) When I was hunting turkeys in ID we cut a few tracks but didn't see any bears. BOY has a tag for the area, but so far no luck.

It was my 10th time out and this was only the 3rd bear I saw.

2010bear.jpg

Nice bear Greenie!

We've been getting hit with awful weather just to the south of you guys in Idaho. Doesn't seem like we've had any day recently without high winds, snow, rain or a combination of all of them. Really makes getting out hard.

I travel 2,500 miles and come home empty handed, while Greenie shoots one I could have watched from my back porch. I had heard that Ol' Fin was a little slow on the uptake, but I guess this is more proof.

Congrats, Greenie. That look like one hell of a bear. Look forward to reading more of the details.

Finally got a couple pics shrunk down enough to post a couple of mine..

Attachments

• Picture 022-shrink.jpg
    Picture 022-shrink.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 701
Headed up tomorrow, cant waite for another week in montana... I never kill anything but maybe the third time is the charm.... looks like you had another good year Greenhorn how about putting a rope around one of those this year for me...

That's a pretty bear drake, looks like he has a great hide.

Great bear man! You sure love those color phase bears. When's the last time you shot a black colored bear? Congrats!

Awesome bear Greenhorn, congrats to all the guys whackin the bears. Wish we had a general spring season here in Washington.

"When's the last time you shot a black colored bear"

I was just thinking the same thing.Great bear.

Bart, the only scraps I left behind were 2 dinkers that looked more like labs. Here's some details..

Yesterday I bailed from the office early and hunted a place I've never taken a bear, not even within 20 miles. I've been hunting farther away from home this spring and it's been slow. Locally, I've been hunting where there's way more grizzlies than blacks, and fewer blacks.

I got to the glassing vantage just before 8PM and watched this guy come out of the timber and down a snowfield to an open hillside. After he stopped moving, I loaded up and took off. I closed the gap to about 50 yards and watched him for about 5 minutes before deciding to take him.

I didn't think he was a great bear, but knew he was a pretty nice older boar with great hair hair. I don't think he'd been out of the den long. Since there were fresh grizzly tracks everywhere and I was a long ways (4.3 GPS miles..but a few more counting the contour) from the trailhead, I decided to return today with a friend, rather than start carving on him last night, and leave part of him. Don't know if it helped or not, but I left a shirt, my gamebags, and vest on him. Nothing touched it.

Today was great, took a vacation day and got an early start with my friend John and headed to get him. It was a 7hr day, from the trailhead and back. The weather was perfect. We stopped in Big Sky on the way home and ate a great crab dinner and had a beer at the Lone Peak Brewery.

I'm probably going to buy a license in a neighbor state so I can hunt the prime-time in another great area.

Some more photos.. He's 6'4" square (6'1" long by 6'8" wide) and has a skull in the 18 3/4 range.

track.jpg

2010KurtBlackBearMontana.jpg

2010johnbear1.jpg

2010KurtSkinningbear1.jpg

2010kurtskinningbear2.jpg

2010bearpack.jpg

2010johnpacking.jpg

Last edited:
Back