Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

SVB - CAO šŸ˜³

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
The FDIC fund is just under $130 billion. We will blow through that quickly, especially after the Biden admin. is making all the SVB depositors whole. Then what?
They only have to plug the difference. I'm not saying it isn't significant, just saying it's not the whole depositor balance. They will sell the assets (loans are assets to a bank) and fund the remaining. Just to be clear, banks fail ALL THE TIME. They just don't make headlines until they get large.

The big question is do we want banks to become utilities? I think we would generally agree we are all just banking with the Fed at the end of the day. I think we have too many small banks, but you know, capitalism and too big to fail and all that stuff you hear around these events. Do we want to just make them Utilities where "profit" is determined by the regulators? I'm sure E Warren would say yes, but your argument leads to the same path, and I don't think you two agree on much.

Letā€™s recap. Economy booming due to essentially near zero free money for many years. Pandemic hits and government pumps trillions into economy with multiple stimulus and programs. Biden starts a spending spree. $700B here, $700b there, chips and Science act, infrastructure bills. Inflations pops itā€™s head up. Biden and the experts all state just transitory. Letā€™s inject another $750B and call it the Inflation Reduction Act. Reasonable people ask ā€œwonā€™t pumping more money into the economy cause inflation when all the metrics indicate economy is already experiencing inflationā€? Biden, ā€œno, of course not. Thatā€™s why we called it the Inflation Reduction Actā€. Over a year of high inflation. Oops. Banks, like SVB, take the deposits and weā€™re being good banks and buy what is seen as the lowest risk, govt T bills. Bond market adjusts due to the govt created inflation and SVB, uniquely tied to SV tech, as tech firms withdraw some money, needed to sell those super safe T Bills at a loss. Peter Thiel hereā€™s this and then informs his client to get their money out. Bank run. Goodbye SVB.

Cali Governor Gavin, family and friends all have money in that bank. Ain't no way they going to let those depositors lose their money even though they were above FDIC limits.

Letā€™s recap. Economy booming due to essentially near zero free money for many years. Pandemic hits and government pumps trillions into economy with multiple stimulus and programs. Biden starts a spending spree. $700B here, $700b there, chips and Science act, infrastructure bills. Inflations pops itā€™s head up. Biden and the experts all state just transitory. Letā€™s inject another $750B and call it the Inflation Reduction Act. Reasonable people ask ā€œwonā€™t pumping more money into the economy cause inflation when all the metrics indicate economy is already experiencing inflationā€? Biden, ā€œno, of course not. Thatā€™s why we called it the Inflation Reduction Actā€. Over a year of high inflation. Oops. Banks, like SVB, take the deposits and weā€™re being good banks and buy what is seen as the lowest risk, govt T bills. Bond market adjusts due to the govt created inflation and SVB, uniquely tied to SV tech, as tech firms withdraw some money, needed to sell those super safe T Bills at a loss. Peter Thiel hereā€™s this and then informs his client to get their money out. Bank run. Goodbye SVB.
You're leaving out Trump screaming at the fed about keeping interest rates low, despite economics screaming it would cause record inflation.

I'm not disagreeing with the later events, but Trump took a hot economy from Obama, overheated it then we had the pandemic et al.

You're leaving out Trump screaming at the fed about keeping interest rates low, despite economics screaming it would cause record inflation.

I'm not disagreeing with the later events, but Trump took a hot economy from Obama, overheated it then we had the pandemic et al.
Revisionist history. The Obama economy was not that great.

The Trump economy was starting to heat up and the Fed started raise rates. Trump started pitching a fit, but the Fed was correct to raise rates over his objection. Then came covid.
22 2.1%
'21 5.9%
'20 -2.8%
'19 2.3%
'18 2.9%
'17 2.2%
'16 1.7%
'15 2.7%
'14 2.3%
'13 1.8%
'12 2.3%
'11 1.5%
'10 2.7%

effective-rate-of-us-federal-funds-monthly.png

Other than a basic misunderstanding of legislation, budgets, economics, and Tbills, it is pretty close.

He nailed it and that is why we are in the situation we are now in.
You just watch the same news channel. If only things were as simple as that. Our main economic problem is we still have a mismatch between jobs and workers. US citizens donā€™t want to make hard choices so the Fed has to, and takes the blame. We all just sit on the internet and bitch about whose fault it is. Not productive.

You just watch the same news channel. If only things were as simple as that. Our main economic problem is we still have a mismatch between jobs and workers. US citizens donā€™t want to make hard choices so the Fed has to, and takes the blame. We all just sit on the internet and bitch about whose fault it is. Not productive.
Nah, I'd bet most of have jobs...if there's a mechanism that allows otherwise maybe we're arguing about different issues. And please stop with the Fox crap...you're smarter than that.

Wondered how long it'd take...
Bashing the executive for the economy as long as it's not "your" guy, at what point can we just cede there were two presidents during the pandemic and that this isn't a single party blame-fest, not to mention the fact that both parties were reacting to what was seen as not doing enough in 08'.

He certainly wasnā€™t running anything when the first two checks were mailed out in 2020.
If the Fox News reference offends you, thatā€™s your problem. It is pretty applicable here.
What's he running now?....supposedly where the proverbial buck stops . . . *no pun

Last edited:
Presidents I hate and hope are one term
-Trump
-Biden

Bash away sir just do it in measures appropriate for the f-ups
My feelings regarding Trump are archived here pre-2016. He's a pos and terrible statesman...but it wasn't his fault that a terrible candidate, actually the worst in history as he is the second worst, was appointed. And I blame the GOP equally.

We are only arguing about the color of gloves to wear when handling opposite ends of the same turd wllm.

What's he running now?....supposedly where the proverbial buck stops . . . *no pun
Depends on the conspiracy you want to believe. Presidents don't have a lot of impact on the economy, particularly in the four years they are in office. But the public doesn't like complicated stuff, so they place credit/blame. The reality of politics is that the game is take credit for the good stuff and blame the bad stuff on the other person. That has ramped up 100x over the last few decades. Now it is all about visibility, not ideas. I'm sure more people can name the governor of Florida than the governor of New York. When we can't discuss ideas, or even look back and evaluate past actions, nothing gets done and we just spiral downwards. But maybe Presidential elections have always been popularity contests?

Back