PEAX Equipment

SVB - CAO 😳

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
They saw it on a movie. The Big Short. IIRC, only one person suffered any consequences for the collapse related to subprime loans, although that is a bit of a simplification.

The point is that the senior guys made out like bandits; in this case selling stock and taking bonuses. But they were woke, so extremely unlikely anyone will suffer for their actions.
Hold my beer SVB............

Elizabeth just can't help herself.....

"With support from both parties, President Donald Trump signed a law to roll back critical parts of Dodd-Frank. Regulators, including the Federal Reserve chair Jerome Powell, then made a bad situation worse, ‌‌letting financial institutions load up on risk."

SVB loaded up on government bonds Elizabeth! 🤣

Last edited:
The number of silicon valley startups with connections to this bank is enormous. There are tons of threads that can be connected into a thousand different conspiracies. Look, I don't want to tell a professional how to do his job, but you have to find one with the Clinton's in it. Bill and Hillary add a certain legitimacy to any conspiracy. ;)

Joking aside, I have asked the question of why so many went to this bank. Did other banks not take the money? Seems unlikely. I was told directly that "it was cool to be a customer of this bank". All I could do was laugh and asked if they got a free t-shirt or something. I still feel like there is something missing from this story, but I'm an aging Gen X'er with occasional time on my hands, so this is my hobby.

KPMG under scrutiny? Someone seriously doesn't know how bank accounting works and given how it has been explained in numerous articles over the last 5 days, they obviously don't care to know.

The number of silicon valley startups with connections to this bank is enormous. There are tons of threads that can be connected into a thousand different conspiracies. Look, I don't want to tell a professional how to do his job, but you have to find one with the Clinton's in it. Bill and Hillary add a certain legitimacy to any conspiracy. ;)
Bill and Hillary conspiracies are so 1990s. You got to keep your conspiracies fresh and forward looking.🙂

We will see, but early word is that their biggest failing was holding too many assets in Treasuries - something that until 1 week ago every auditor on the planet would view as particularly low risk and stable. After a decade of near zero Fed rates no one seemed to ask, what happens when rates rise and you need to sell them before end of term at a loss? Fighting the last war is a reoccurring theme in human history. It is nearly impossible to find any discussion on any topic where the discussion includes worrying about “what if everything that has been working for us stops but stops in a way completely differently than last time we were in trouble”.

We will see, but early word is that their biggest failing was holding too many assets in Treasuries - something that until 1 week ago every auditor on the planet would view as particularly low risk and stable. After a decade of near zero Fed rates no one seemed to ask, what happens when rates rise and you need to sell them before end of term at a loss? Fighting the last war is a reoccurring theme in human history. It is nearly impossible to find any discussion on any topic where the discussion includes worrying about “what if everything that has been working for us stops but stops in a way completely differently than last time we were in trouble”.
By example, I would like to think folks in DC are thinking, “last time we initiated a cold war we were able to squeeze a decrepit communist economy to the breaking point and prevail - but why would that work against a modernized communist country that has more and better manufacturing infrastructure than we do?” Or, “the solution to every question in society is more government that we can just pay for with increased taxation - but wait, what about demographic collapse of the G8 countries over the next 40 years?”

By example, I would like to think folks in DC are thinking, “last time we initiated a cold war we were able to squeeze a decrepit communist economy to the breaking point and prevail - but why would that work against a modernized communist country that has more and better manufacturing infrastructure than we do?” Or, “the solution to every question in society is more government that we can just pay for with increased taxation - but wait, what about demographic collapse of the G8 countries over the next 40 years?”
This is just way too complicated, How are you ever going to explain long term stuff like this to voters and get reelected?

Big difference between face value of a bond and market value. Any auditor that doesn't know the difference should be fired. This bank failure was due to complete incompetence of the bank management. They knew the Fed intended to raise rates and continued to buy long term bonds anyway. Stupidity 101.

Screenshot_20230314_121553_Google.jpg

This is just way too complicated, How are you ever going to explain long term stuff like this to voters and get reelected?

Right, the electorate esp. reps have shown that any kind of policy discussion is waaaay too hard.

"Meatball Ron," 2023 GOP campaign rhetoric at it's finest... what's your money that he'll counter with a penis joke?

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, the electorate esp. reps have shown that any kind of policy discussion is waaaay too hard.

"Meatball Ron" 2023 GOP rhetoric at it's finest... what's your money that he'll counter with a penis joke?
Settle down Elizabeth. You're getting over your skis here.😉

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VaDon
Back