Caribou Gear

Support increased wolf hunting in Idaho

Bumping, because i feel this is important. Please take a minute to complete this survey supporting increased wolf management!

I don't have any issue with Idaho increasing the season length or bag limits on wolves...but I also think its going to change very little in regard to the wolf population.

The only positive may be that a very small number of dedicated wolf hunters/trappers may get a few more wolves. For the other 99.999% of the people that buy a single wolf tag they never fill, probably means next to nothing.

I don't have any issue with Idaho increasing the season length or bag limits on wolves...but I also think its going to change very little in regard to the wolf population.

The only positive may be that a very small number of dedicated wolf hunters/trappers may get a few more wolves. For the other 99.999% of the people that buy a single wolf tag they never fill, probably means next to nothing.
It means that anybody who doesnt have a snowmobile will actually be able to hunt wolves. Thats huge. Mid dec through late march, if you dont have a snowmobile or a tracked out sxs, youre out of luck. Opening up apr 1 - june 30th lets a lot of people without winter atvs hunt wolves for 3 months. Also, baiting wolves is illegal, but you can legally kill wolves that come to bait incidental to bear baiting. This new season would mean that all the spring bear hunters could take wolves over their bait. That alone will increase harvest a bit. And guys calling bears during spring season could take wolves that come to the call. Ill be calling bears in unit 1 this spring. Really hope this wolf proposal passes.

Last edited:

I agree.

Grip and grin pics of a lactating female killed at a den site might not shine well on hunters.

Some bubba will do it.

For sure. People really should know better, but somebody would.

As is though, wolf is already open year round in the panhandle on private land, which does include timber company lands.

Bumping, because i feel this is important. Please take a minute to complete this survey supporting increased wolf management!
I buy a wolf tag every year that I hunt Idaho, will pick up 2020's on Friday.
Sure wish i could see one and kill it! Heard them in the Selway - Bitterroot wilderness in the late 90's that is a close as I have got.
Survey completed.

I buy a wolf tag every year that I hunt Idaho, will pick up 2020's on Friday.
Sure wish i could see one and kill it! Heard them in the Selway - Bitterroot wilderness in the late 90's that is a close as I have got.
Survey completed.

Ive got 2 idaho wolf tags in my pocket. Went over new years eve to crash out and wake up and start hunting new years morning. Perfectly timed for a massive snow storm. Then at dark new years eve it turned into pouring rain. Couldnt get my truck anywhere that wasnt plowed. Put 9 miles on my boots jan 1st in really deep snow, pouring rain, it sucked. Sat on a wolf trap, decided to head home and wait until the snow is gone. Ill be back at it when access and conditions improve. I met a guy over there thats keeping me informed of snow and road conditions, and has offered to help me out, show me around. Ill do what i can to thin out some predators in the panhandle this year. Have 2 wolf tags, 2 bear tags, and a lion tag. Going to be a busy boy this year.

Ive got 2 idaho wolf tags in my pocket. Went over new years eve to crash out and wake up and start hunting new years morning. Perfectly timed for a massive snow storm. Then at dark new years eve it turned into pouring rain. Couldnt get my truck anywhere that wasnt plowed. Put 9 miles on my boots jan 1st in really deep snow, pouring rain, it sucked. Sat on a wolf trap, decided to head home and wait until the snow is gone. Ill be back at it when access and conditions improve. I met a guy over there thats keeping me informed of snow and road conditions, and has offered to help me out, show me around. Ill do what i can to thin out some predators in the panhandle this year. Have 2 wolf tags, 2 bear tags, and a lion tag. Going to be a busy boy this year.

Hunted deer up in the panhandle in 2018, saw lots of wolf sign, particularly around Priest lake, and on the Moyie river near the border.

Is this HB 330?
If so, Idaho is also wanting to reduce nonresident tags and increase the cost by 10%

Is this HB 330?
If so, Idaho is also wanting to reduce nonresident tags and increase the cost by 10%

Im not sure, but i dont think the 2 proposals are tied into eachother. Either way, reduced non res deer and elk tags aside, getting predators under control is crucial. High numbers of otc non res tags available wont be worth a damn if the deer and elk arent there in decent numbers.

Im not sure, but i dont think the 2 proposals are tied into eachother. Either way, reduced non res deer and elk tags aside, getting predators under control is crucial. High numbers of otc non res tags available wont be worth a damn if the deer and elk arent there in decent numbers.
I agree. I didn’t know if they were all together in a combined bill or being run through separately.
The article on go hunt about House Bill 330 didn’t say how much of a reduction in tags there was going to be but did specify a 10% increase.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back