Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Super K shoots and scores...again!

1_pointer

Weekend before Thanksgiving was the gun opener in Indiana. The boys had some skippable activities so we spent the weekend at the cabin trying to get them both bucks. Both have stated emphatically, and multiple times, that they are not shooting a doe during gun season. :D We all got settled into the ground blind on opening morning. First time in my life we I haven't seen a deer on opening morning. Super K was dialed in looking for deer, just none to see. Without being told, he propped his knee up on the office chair to steady his binoculars for better glassing! He's going to be a Hunter!
Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

That evening we had a few does cross the powerline ROW, but too far, too dark, and the boys said they didn't have antlers. It was good for them to see some deer. The next morning about 7:30 I spotted a deer in a rose thicket about 120yds out. I gathered it was a small buck, which got the boys excitement level pegged. Older brother was using his binoculars to watch the action as he, silently, let me know he didn't want to shoot it (more on that later**). Super K had a bit of difficulty finding the deer in the scope, but was able to get him located. We waited until he turned quartering towards us when I gave him the go ahead once he was steady. BANG! The deer face planted and laid still. Super K had shot is first buck!!!

Since it was early we waited a couple hours for going to retrieve it to see if another would show up for big brother, but none did. They worked together to find the deer, then it was time for a few pics and to go get the Pioneer for the extraction. Next time Dad's going to wait until the deer moves out of the rose thicket before giving the go ahead to shoot! :D

That afternoon we had a buck slip across the powerline, but once we got him stopped it was at 250yds and skylined. Big Brother held off on shooting. I was disappointed as I felt that was his "chance" at a buck this year, but the correct decision was made. The buck stopped just to the right at the top of the hill in the second picture. We've hunted a couple more times for a buck for big brother, but nothing as showed up yet. We have one more weekend for him...

**Taking two boys hunting at the same time that both want to shoot a buck puts Dad in a tough spot as I end up being the one to decide who gets to shoot first. This worked out great! Super K was stoked to shoot "a" buck and Big Brother was happy for him and said he wouldn't have shot that buck anyway. Next year, I think Big Brother will be sitting by himself as I think he's ready. Mom's not so sure...

My nephew shot a buck on opening day morning and I let the boys go with him and his father to look for it. The boys are kinda digging getting to more "grown up" things. The found the buck and helped drag it out to where we can get the Pioneer to it.

A bit of a long arm shot, but a pretty decent buck for our area.

Later that night the boys chose to watch Caveman TV...!

I love seeing your posts with your boys out hunting. Good for him and your nephew! I'm sure your oldest will get his pretty soon also.

Thanks for the kind words. They were both pretty stoked. Never would've thought I'd get as much of a kick taking kids hunting as I do going by myself.

Glad yall were able to over look some of the skippable activities and make a hunt. Going to have to add that word to my dictionary. Congrats!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back