Sunglasses - Leupold vs Oakley

Oakleys and Wiley X’s for this guy! They back the military and offer great discounts. My Oakleys stayed on my face in absurd angles, aircraft mechanic, and has saved my eyes on numerous close calls.

I refuse to wear cheap sunglasses. The dark lenses let your eyes dilate but they don’t provide UV protection so they let the sun cook your eyes ... leads to macular degeneration and lots of other eye issues.
Worth a google for sure.
Make sure they say 100% UVA/UVB protection and at least 400nm UV absorption.
EssilorLuxottica probably makes them whatever you buy so brand isn’t super important...but coatings are
That’s good to know. Thank you for sharing. I’ve always been a cheap sunglasses guy over the years but over the past three years my eye sight has gone really south.

i have some neutral grey lensed Maui Jim's on order - with +!.5 readers in them. Sucks, getting old.

I posted earlier on this thread about how much I loved my glass Costas. They finally fell apart to the point I couldn’t hold them together with superglue anymore. The rubber basically melted off the plastic frame. They replaced with a totally different style that I’m not a huge fan of so I ordered some Maui Jim’s. I’ve had them about a month. I like the frames more than my Costas and they are a fair bit lighter and more comfortable. The lenses are very good, but I’d say I liked the silver mirror of the Costas slightly more than the Bronze Maui Jim’s. Both brands are great.

I posted earlier on this thread about how much I loved my glass Costas. They finally fell apart to the point I couldn’t hold them together with superglue anymore. The rubber basically melted off the plastic frame. They replaced with a totally different style that I’m not a huge fan of so I ordered some Maui Jim’s. I’ve had them about a month. I like the frames more than my Costas and they are a fair bit lighter and more comfortable. The lenses are very good, but I’d say I liked the silver mirror of the Costas slightly more than the Bronze Maui Jim’s. Both brands are great.
Did Costa warranty them for you when the rubber was falling off? The same thing has happened to mine pretty much in the last two weeks.

Did Costa warranty them for you when the rubber was falling off? The same thing has happened to mine pretty much in the last two weeks.
They did warranty them, but said that model was no longer available (it was the Fantail and clearly is still available) so they gave me a few alternate options, none of which I really liked.

They did warranty them, but said that model was no longer available (it was the Fantail and clearly is still available) so they gave me a few alternate options, none of which I really liked.
Almost bought some Costas. Now I'm glad I didn't.

Some of those Oaks leave 2" tan lines on the side of my face. Kinda hard to call in sick Friday then come back on Monday looking like a raccoon from wearing those Oakleys all weekend on the lake.

No complaints with the several pairs of Oakley's I've owned. They have all ended up on the bottoms of lakes, rivers, and oceans. I can't seem to lose my Bolles, but I would consider Oakleys if I ever do.
Agreed. Got a taste for Oakley's back in my Army days. Very reliable.

Almost bought some Costas. Now I'm glad I didn't.
I still did like the Costas very much and I’d buy them again, but I’d try to find a model with minimal rubber to melt off. The Maui Jim’s are very nice, as I mentioned, but I don’t like the lenses quite as much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back