Caribou Gear

Sunglasses - Leupold vs Oakley

WestKyHunt

Well, I am finally breaking down and am going to buy a pair of "premium" sunglasses.
I go through about 2 or 3 pairs of cheap Walmart sunglasses a year and figured it would pay off to invest in a higher quality option with a good warranty.

Right now I'm looking at the Leupold Switchback and two different Oakley's; Gascan and Fuel Cell.

Let me know if you have owned any of these or if you have any other sunglasses you reccomend

Gascan's were pretty bitchin back in 06'

Polarized oakley's come up on camofire a couple times a year, if your not in a hurry I'd wait and then grab a pair or 2 then for like $50.

Personally I'd go with a black pair of silvers. I find the fit much better than the gascan or fuel cell. Also they fit in a pocket, which is nice.

I've worn Costa' for nearly 20 years. There's discount programs out there and ebay so shop around. Go with Glass. I like blue mirror and use them everyday and fishing. I keep a backup pair in my truck just because I can't go far without them.

I know they’re not what you’re asking about, but I’ll further muddy the waters—Maui Jim’s. They’re the best polarized sunglasses I’ve ever worn, and I’ve tried Oakley, Costa, Bolle, Ray Ban, and a bunch of others. I haven’t worn the Leupolds though. Costco sells Maui Jim’s at good prices, if you’re a member.

Guess my tightwad shows through! LOL!
At "AirGas", a welding supply warehouse, I buy sun glasses that are safety rated for both eye protection and use with a cutting torch.
They are plastic and "wrap-a-round", offering protection from the sun and flying debris.
Cost is a tad over $2/pair. I keep 6 or 8 pair on the loading bench.
If I lose or break a pair, "So whut?"! I grab another pair and go.

As I understand it, there is a "sunglasses" factory over in Italy that makes sunglasses for all major brands.
Oakley, RayBan, Quay, Costa and all those other high $ brands.
Lenses are all the same. They just change the shape, frames and logo for different brands.

I wore Oakleys for years but got tired of changing the lens all the time from scratches. Breathe on them wrong and they’ll scratch.

Bought a pair of Costas that’s lasted going on 5 years and will never look back. Pricey, but definitely worth the investment.

I have a pair of the Leupold sunglasses. I am very impressed with them. The military kept me in Oakley glasses which I liked but those were no where as nice as the Leupolds. The Leupold has a steep price tag even with the military discount. If you have the money you won’t be disappointed.

I've had a pair Maui Jim Stingrays with glass lenses for 10+ years and absolutely love them. A really good pair of polarized sunglasses (Maui Jim, Ray Ban, Costa etc) will help you see much more clearly. I had no intention of spending over $200 on sunglasses the day I bought mine, but man am I glad I did. If I lose them I'll buy another pair in a minute.

Maui Jim will do repairs for really reasonable as well....other brands may too, worth checking into.

I have or had them all currently have 2 pair of costas lenses are to dark for my liking. I’d do shady rays or sun clouds although I’ve never had either I’ve been told by plenty of people they are great. My mom was nearly an optometrist and always gave me top notch sunglasses. Mark up is super high 300% on sunglasses. Anything polarized will be fine really it all about the fit.

Oh oakleys are the least durable they used to have a camo line with kings which I loved but their junk. I have a pair of slip shots which I enjoy but had a pair break in 6 months but scheels replaced for me. Go cheap polarized I’ll probably be back in that direction in a couple years after all these are broke.

Well I am definitely going to look into Costa lol

And I hear y'all on the cheap sunglasses, but I believe having a more expensive pair will make me baby them more.
I break most sunglasses from putting them in a cargo pocket and then sitting down or crawling under something.
Last year my cheapo pair snapped in half after taking them off to wipe sweat away, didn't even torque them hard taking off. Then I had to finish bush hogging with no eye pro, which just sucks

I’ve have several pair of Oakleys used for work and they always get scratched. Bought a pair of Costas last summer and still look brand new.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back