Sunglasses - Leupold vs Oakley

I just got a new pair of Costa's and damn they are nice. I've also had good luck with Smith

Ditto Maui Jim’s👍🏻
FWIW the gas cans never fit me that well, had them steamed and adjusted a few times and finally gave them to my fishing bud

Well, I am finally breaking down and am going to buy a pair of "premium" sunglasses.
I go through about 2 or 3 pairs of cheap Walmart sunglasses a year and figured it would pay off to invest in a higher quality option with a good warranty.

Right now I'm looking at the Leupold Switchback and two different Oakley's; Gascan and Fuel Cell.

Let me know if you have owned any of these or if you have any other sunglasses you reccomend
I do a lot of Bowfishing! and I mean a lot, also ran the Idaho Bowfishing Association for 5 seasons. I’ve tried them all, Maui Jim’s to Oakley’s to Costa’s.... there all pretty good. I’ve settled on Spy’s. Kinda like Randy has said where affordability meets quality or something along those lines. Started using them in 2016 or so, won 2018 world Bowfishing championship and the 2020 Idaho state championship. So they are quality and affordable and work! There are different lenses glass verse poly etc. Most poly is dang near as good as the glass. I have no affiliation with spy or any other brands. If you want the best of the best in my opinion it’s Maui Jim’s. I’ve not yet used a pair of Luepolds, I’m sure I will though. I’m due for a new pair. 😜
Matt

I have a pair of the Leupold sunglasses. I am very impressed with them. The military kept me in Oakley glasses which I liked but those were no where as nice as the Leupolds. The Leupold has a steep price tag even with the military discount. If you have the money you won’t be disappointed.
Promo code Randy

I've always liked my Oakleys and Maui Jims. If at all possible try some on first, what really fits one face, may not work for the next one. I really like Oakley Flak Jacket sunglasses.

Depending on what you want to use them for you may want to look at the Costa's as others have stated above. Native also makes a really high quality set of sunglasses and you can get them with interchangeable lenses. If you do decide to go Costa stay away from the plastic lenses and try to get the glass ones. They last much longer and dont scratch as easily.

I refuse to wear cheap sunglasses. The dark lenses let your eyes dilate but they don’t provide UV protection so they let the sun cook your eyes ... leads to macular degeneration and lots of other eye issues.
Worth a google for sure.
Make sure they say 100% UVA/UVB protection and at least 400nm UV absorption.
EssilorLuxottica probably makes them whatever you buy so brand isn’t super important...but coatings are

My post was made pretty much in fun. I don't wear sunglasses. But I do wear readers. mtmuley
*cheaters

It’s hard to put a price on quality sunglasses. Something that could be used possibly every day of the year, for hours at a time. Breaking down the price of my “high dollar” Costas, I’m sure at this point it’s pennies on the day for their functional life. But once, cry once for sure. Only get one pair of eyes for life, spend the money to try and take care of them.

My wife got me some Knockarounds and I've been very pleased with them. At $20-30/pair, I don't sweat it when they get beat up but they seem to be as good of quality as more expensive brands.

My post was made pretty much in fun. I don't wear sunglasses. But I do wear readers. mtmuley
(snicker, snort, chortle!)
At 70 and I function VERY well with +1.25 readers! (cheaters) LOL! Not bad.
...but I will admit I can't "read" (I can see them just fine!) highway exit signs as far away as I used to! Scopes are a REAL plus.

I wore Ray-Ban Predators for years for work outside. Someone sat on them.....
I had some Smiths I found at the lake & no one claimed than were great for fishing. Lost those.
Found some Oakleys and gave them to a cop bud,never liked the style.
Was looking at glasses again couple years ago,wearing my Phonay's.

Found Shady Rays to fit the bill. Have a pair of wraparounds I wear daily and have some wayfarer style in the glovebox. The wraparounds give me full coverage in the NM sun @7500,in snow or cloudy day. Do not know how I have not broken them or scratched them either. Lifetime warranty & free replacement. Very reasonably priced too.

The best sunglasses in my book are the ones that fit your face the best. Kinda like buying a handgun, you have to find the one that fits right. The lense you chose also makes a difference, or changing lense system.

I wore smith for years when I was sponsored by them, loved them, and had great things to say about their warranty as well. Still have a few pairs floating around.

Now I wear edge kazbek. I have to wear safety rated glasses for work and these fit me the best and seem to hold up the best. I get the polarized amber lense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back