Sunday Pic of the Day

Two of my three Yellowstone bear encounters. We came in through the east gate from Cody and saw a line a car stopped and there was a Range and I said what’s going on. He said there’s a grizzly with two cubs up the hill but can’t see him right now.

So I get my binoculars and I start glass 200, 300 yards up the hill I walk down the road and I see people start pulling out their cell phones and I’m like what are they looking at and then I look up and there’s a cub on a log like 40 yards from the road I’m like oh crap and then she stood up And took a look at everybody gave us snort and then disappeared in the grass, and then slowly walked away up the hill .

Of course I never had my phone on me. I left it in the truck when we drove away I was like I should’ve got my cell phone. I know better my kid goes. Oh I took a picture of it through my phone. Dad , he’s never in the woods. But he gets all the credit.

And then our second bear was asleep under a tree about 50 yards off the road and I had him bring his phone and get a picture of that one too , the last beer we saw was a cub , 35 to 40 yards off the road playing all by itself. I don’t know if mom was dead or she was asleep up the ridge or whatever but there was a Ranger there and crap ton of people watching it. I never did get a picture of that one..

Mom and her cubs going back up the hill
image000000.jpeg

Sleepy bear IMG_3800.jpeg

Drove Yellowstone yesterday, ended up with a close encounter I didn’t want , just started drive over the Bridge at fishing Bridge, about halfway across the rig at the far end was stopped trying to leave the bridge , but his rig was blocking the view. Then a lone Bison stepped out from in front of his rig , looked right saw approaching vehicles , then turned and decided to walk across the bridge.

I didn’t like the thought of being on the bridge with him as he had nowhere to go , but it was a good hundred yards to back up , so I turned off my rig and stayed still , but the vehicles behind him instead of giving him a good cushion, decided to just drive up on his butt , I was just hoping he wouldn’t feel stressed by this and do something, because of the idiot drivers behind him , he walked passed my window and gave a snort , and I could hear him breathing, a cool experience. But not one I’d choose to repeat , after he passed me I started up my truck and rolled on !

View attachment 283761

As he passed my drivers seat , 6 yards maybe , he was so close his head was the only thing that could fit in my cellphone camera shot
View attachment 283762View attachment 283763View attachment 283764View attachment 283765

a pic my son took out his back window of my truck View attachment 283766

All I was thinking was don’t freak out big boy and trash my rig cuz the people behind drove up on you
Great pictures! I had a similar encounter in South Dakota a few years ago but did not get any pictures. It pays to be quiet while stopped on HIS bridge. Glad that he didn't trash your rig.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back