MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Stupid question for stupid user

VikingsGuy

I have managed to leave two 2010-era compound bows under tension in their cases for 7-8 years. I assume at the very least they need to be re-strung, but I am concerned I have damaged their overall functionality and safety with my lack of attention.

Any thoughts?

Take them to a local archery shop to check and adjust to your needs. For safety sake, I would have someone with expertise on them to inspect and adjust as needed. Most bow strings nowdays are made with synthetic material that lasts a long time if not used. My gut feeling is you are probably OK. But have it checked by your local archery shop.

Last edited:
Most likely fine, but I wouldn't wanna find out the hard way. I'd just take them to the bow shop and have them serviced.

Probably need new strings. You didn’t store these in a hot garage where they may have roasted in 100 degree temps and caused damage to limbs? I’d get those checked if that is how they were stored

That stuff doesn't just dissolve. You can look at the cams and see if the harness has elongated. Put on your welding gloves, welding hood, and a Carhart jacket and go shoot it. We used to dress up like that when we dry fire tested bows at the plant back in the day.

I like what Bob says above, but you're probably not going to want to don that outfit every time you shoot. Strings and cables are cheap in the grand scheme. I'd be most concerned that they've developed "memory" where they wrap the cams and that would become a weak point when cycled.

That stuff doesn't just dissolve. You can look at the cams and see if the harness has elongated. Put on your welding gloves, welding hood, and a Carhart jacket and go shoot it. We used to dress up like that when we dry fire tested bows at the plant back in the day.
Having had a bow explode in my hands it’s kind of terrifying. Don’t forget about any nearby person or object that might get pelted by a loose part rocketing away from you 😁

Having had a bow explode in my hands it’s kind of terrifying. Don’t forget about any nearby person or object that might get pelted by a loose part rocketing away from you 😁
Now that's reassuring ;)

No doubt the strings will be replaced by a professional, and other parts as they determine, but it sounds like these things are designed to live their lives under tension and the primarly components are likely ok. By that I mean it is not a waste of money to have a pro look at it, and I can have some reasonable confidence after the pro has done his thing.

10 year bow vs modern PSE's, Fred Bear's - RTH in the $3‐500 range... competition has dropped quality bows down to a price worth bumping into modern archery equipment.

Not sure if the $80-110 for tune up/re-string is worth the current product.

Now that's reassuring ;)

No doubt the strings will be replaced by a professional, and other parts as they determine, but it sounds like these things are designed to live their lives under tension and the primarly components are likely ok. By that I mean it is not a waste of money to have a pro look at it, and I can have some reasonable confidence after the pro has done his thing.
100%
A good tech inspects cams, tensioner, limb health, etc. You should be fine.

10 year bow vs modern PSE's, Fred Bear's - RTH in the $3‐500 range... competition has dropped quality bows down to a price worth bumping into modern archery equipment.

Not sure if the $80-110 for tune up/re-string is worth the current product.
Good point. I am sure my wife thanks you for your observation ;)

Would be worth a breakdown and lube. That forces a check on it all. Takes about 45 minutes and a press, to break down, clean, inspect and put back together

Hell, those would be new bows for me. Not knowing which models or brands you have but they probably aren't much slower or less efficient than the newer cheap stuff. Restring and shoot. You might decide the operator needs fixing. JK.. After that, you can always go plunk down a heap of cash and get something new and shiny.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back