Story about, When should you give back a sheep tag?

psycho

Due to adult onset hunting I only had 6 points earned when my desert bighorn sheep tag arrived. My initial reaction was disbelief as I only had six points. I couldn’t believe I should get a tag when others have waited 20 plus years. I knew this area had pretty good odds at 15% but I didn’t put much effort into figuring out why before the draw. Considerable planning ensued. I figured out where all the guzzlers were and started making plans to check them all out. I quickly learned the majority of the good hunting was in a wilderness area so it was going to be long hikes or backpack camping which I have not done yet. I had some serious concerns early on:

It’s a big area with only a few mature rams in it.
I had an international hunt planned for the first two weeks of the season.
I was really out of shape from sitting at a desk all day due to Covid issues.
Also, friends and family had some challenging tags this year which would take some time helping them fill their tags.
In my mind I was making excuses as to why I couldn’t do this tag justice and so i resisted the urge to give it back.

6/6 This was the first time I was able to get out in the area. Spent two days hiking around in the heat going from one guzzler to another. At the entrance to the wilderness area there was a sign in box. The notepad was filled with many disgruntled hunters stating this area has no sheep. Page after page of no sheep comments. This hunt is not getting off to a good start. I don’t see any sheep in over 20 miles of hiking but I did see some tracks that were not too old. Saw some snakes and owls but no sheep. Oh, and I am right close to area 51 so often get to see the military aircraft buzzing overhead. Later on, I could hear the practice bombing just after dark. One time it was so loud it made me involuntarily duck. KaaBOOM!! Maybe somebody was using Tannerite in my valley but I didn’t see any lights out there. Maybe a plane breaking the sound barrier but didn’t sound like that either. Growing up in that town, seeing and hearing Airforce exercises was daily life. I guess i expected peace and quite in the mountains this time around.
1.0.jpg1.1.jpg1.2.jpg1.3.jpg1.4.jpg1.5.jpg

Hunting season gets under way and I am busy helping my family and friends fill their tags so I don’t get back to scouting until last weekend in October.
2.1.jpg2.2.jpg2.3.jpg2.4.jpg2.5.jpg

10/30 My gal and I come in from the top of the area and glass around the cliffs. We don’t see much so we go further into the wilderness area. At about 3.5 miles in I turn her around as she is looking fairly red from the heat. I make it to the top of the ledges and make a mad dash for the guzzler to get to it and back before dark. I have my head down looking for tracks when I bump head first into a bunch of ewes and a young ram at about 70 yards. They quickly wander out of the way and meet up with some rams that were hiding in a draw. Its getting late and I pick up the pace to get back across the top before dark as I don’t want to be going down those cliffs after sundown. I try and take a short cut but get cliffed out and have to backtrack a bit to find another way down to the flats. At least I am finding animals even if its an 11 mile round trip to them.

11/06 I found out my international hunting trip was cancelled so I no longer had to worry about that. I head out solo for some more hiking to other guzzlers. This one is not on top of the mesa but it’s a 10 mile round trip. In the middle of the hike I step on a rock that decides to break loose down the hillside. As I am catching my balance, I smash my knee and wrench it sideways. After I calm down I believe its not that bad and I continue on. On my way over to the 2nd guzzler for the day I realize I have miscalculated access up the cliffs and wont be able to make that one today as the daylight is fading. The next morning going up the hill to the guzzler was fine but coming back down was very painful on my knee. It just did not like a right turn while heading downhill. This added another few hours to the downhill and made me question if I was going to be able to get this done by myself. I did see one sheep way up at the top skyline for just a minute before it disappeared. I am seeing sheep but with two weeks left and a pretty good limp on the downhill I was going to research how to give the tag back just in case.
3.0.jpg3.2.jpg3.1.jpg

11/13 Feeling confident I head up to a guzzler that’s high up but should be a shorter hike. As soon as I get over the top I spot about 9 ewes bedded down in the sun. I watch for a while then slip down the draw and check out the guzzler. After I left and get back to the top I turn around and a ram is just staring at me. I think he looks ok but I make a mental note that I really don’t have enough experience field judging how big a sheep is. I start down the mountain and now my knee is really giving me problems to the point I don’t want to use it and I start to use my shooting sticks as a crutch. It takes hours longer than it should to get off the mountain. Even in the flats my knee occasionally yells at me for stepping wrong. Didn’t get much sleep as even the pressure of the sleeping bag twisting my knee would wake me up from the pain. With not knowing if my knee was really damaged or I just needed another week to heal I really need to call NDOW to see how to give the tag back. Eight days of scouting and nearly 70 miles of hiking and I still have not identified a plan of attack for this hunt. In my mind this is not how sheep hunts are done so I was doubting my ability to properly get it done with the time I had left to plan.
4.1.jpg4.2.jpg4.3.jpg

Those people are just trying to throw you off the trail. But seriously, I would not feel comfortable hunting a place for two days and then just declaring it bereft of game.

Psycho I'm following along, hoping this ends with you holding up a dead ram!

11/21 I am a day late for the sheep season opener as I was just getting back from helping my 80 yr old dad on a OIL tag of his own. Since I was busy with that in another state, I never got a chance to call NDOW before the season started so that ends the internal debate of giving the tag back. I get back to town on the 20th, unpack the truck and repack for sheep hunting expecting to stay in my trailer for at least 10 days. I pick up my 20 year old nephew early in the morning so I can have some spotting help for the first two days as he is on Covid college at home. We walk 11 miles the first day to a guzzler and back and only see a few antelope. Wish i would have studied more on how to tell a sheep track from an antelope track from a deer track as it appears all three mingle on the mesa. Knee is doing ok except the last hill down to the truck. Glad it’s a short decent.
5.0.jpg5.1.jpg5.2.jpg

11/22 We head right across the middle of the mesa and find a pretty good ram that drops down into a drainage. We hustle over to it and by the time we get there two other rams bust us and run away. We never saw the big one again. 12 more miles logged. It’s a gentle decline along a ridgeline so my knee is just giving me the normal nagging pain but no buckle under the pain issues today. Starting to work through my supply of moleskin to keep the feet happy. I’m concerned about solo hunting tomorrow should there be an issue or if I actually get one as I’m moving much slower today.

Attachments

• 6.0.jpg
    6.0.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 47
  • 6.1.jpg
    6.1.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 48
11/23 I get up early and head out in a new direction as the wind had shifted. I figure I will just go slow and do more glassing than I am used to so I can give my knee some time until maybe next weekend when my nephew can help me again. I get up high and walking along the edge of a ravine I find a good rock to sit and glass. In short order I see 3 rams bouncing along a knife edge on the other side about 900 yards from me. I have no idea how good their eyesight is but I figure they can see me perfectly so I just slink down and settle into watching them for a few hours. They find a good grazing spot right in front of me and after a few hours decide to bed down. I am really stuck as I have nothing to hide behind. After getting lots of photos and videos of them I figure I have to do something as I won’t have time to make a play on them if I wait for them to move. I do my best to slowly crawl a few hundred yards to a chute that takes me out of their line of site. It was slow going picking my way along the edges but 90 minutes later I was at the bottom and making a mad dash to get behind them so I have the wind. I hike out and get to the first vantage point I picked and verify they are still there. I duck back down and ease my way along the backside of the ridge to where I figure I can pop up for a 200 yard shot. When I get up there, I cant see them. I figure I must be looking in the wrong spot so I get to where I think they are and come right up over the top of them. Nothing! I wander all over that ridgeline back and forth checking each bench and can’t find where they went. I go back to the other side to sit and have lunch as its now 3:30 and I only have an hour until sundown.

I sit on a rock sulking that I blew it. Could hardly eat my sandwich with feelings of disbelief. I then glassed for where I thought they might head to another guzzler but didn’t find them. At about 4:15 I figure I missed something and go back and look down to the bottom of the ravine to see if its possible they went all the way down. As soon as I full skyline and look down there they are at the bottom just staring at me at 400 yards. Panic sets in as they know I am here. I back out, drop everything except my rifle and hustle directly over them while dropping a few hundred yards down the side. I peer around a rock and the smallest one busts me at 80 yards. He runs up hill and I have seconds to cut them off. I climb up the rock ledge to see them bounding up the chute next to me and I quickly see which is the big one. I put the cross hairs on him and touch it off. He hunches up and lays down. I watch for a minute as the others wait for him but he just sits there. It appears the shot is a bit far back. As I stand up to get a better view he jumps up and starts running up hill and I hit him again. He again lays down but does not appear to be fading. He is hidden by a rock so I start walking over to him and as soon as he sees me he jumps and runs down hill this time. I hit him with a 3rd shot and it puts him down for good. I really made a mess of him but he is down.

17.0.jpg7.01.jpg7.1.jpg

As I’m sure most of you have felt, hunting can be an emotional rollercoaster. My initial reaction was overwhelming relief. Relief that I got it done, that I might have done this tag justice. It was followed closely with a bit of panic as I’m trying to process all that just happened and what to do next. The first shot rang my bell with no ear plugs. All my gear is up top and I didn’t mark a waypoint in my haste and the light is fading fast. I have a sheep in front of me that I made a mess of and I have been out of water for a few hours. After a silent moment with my critter I do my best to get photos from a nearby rock. I hike up top to look for my gear. In the dark I walk by it several times but the breadcrumb trail helps me find it eventually. I drop off the edge and get him quartered up and packed. After I get home I learn it was about 125 pounds coming out. I certainly was near my limit with my knee but my mindset is you can do anything for a day, so just get it done. I thought my shooting sticks where going to give out as much as I leaned on them for support. Only had a few mishaps with gravity trying to slam my face into some rocks. Made it out with only minor bumps and bruises. I am glad I didn’t give into the temptation to just give the tag back. For me, It was a perfect hunt.

Attachments

• 7.2.jpg
    7.2.jpg
    9.3 MB · Views: 196
  • 7.3.jpg
    7.3.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 192
  • 7.4.jpg
    7.4.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 186
  • 7.5.jpg
    7.5.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 180
Well done! A great story of perseverance and hard work. A great ram, he carries his mad well.

Great job! Nice Ram! A hunt of a lifetime for some. Your perseverance and motivation is amazing!

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back