Still water trout fly fishing

Brandon270

My wife got me my first fly rod for my birthday and I got to try it out at our local lake last week. I got the hang of false casting quicker than I thought I would. I only fished for a few hours and didn't catch any this time around, but there were lots of good sized trout jumping out of the water that morning. I tried a couple dry flys and wet flys (don't know the names of them, my wife picked an assortment from Sportsman's Warehouse). Anyone have reliable go to flys for lake fishing stocked and holdover trout? It's pretty hot in my area right now, lows in the low 70's highs 100-110.

After years of flyfishing and messing around with all sorts of new fangled flys, I've realized that you can do 99% of your fishing with just a handful. Parachute adams, chernobyl ant, royal wulff, pheasant tail nymph (beadhead and regular), prince nymph (beadhead and reg) and wooly buggers. Get those in various sizes and you'll be covered. There are probably some I'm missing and once you get into specific hatches you'll pick up a few more, but that's part of the fun. I don't fish lakes a ton with fly gear, but I end up just keep trying things until they work and be patient. If it's calm, try not to spook the fish with your cast and size down on your tippet if fishing small flies.

I'd suggest finding a fly shop and taking a class, or hiring a guide for a day with the express goal of learning how to cast and which flies to use and why, you'll be lightyears ahead if you do so...

I'd suggest finding a fly shop and taking a class, or hiring a guide for a day with the express goal of learning how to cast and which flies to use and why, you'll be lightyears ahead if you do so...

When you book your guide, let them know that you are looking to go to school and learn as much or more than actually fish. Learning to read water, casting, fly selection etc etc. I would make sure that your guide likes this kind of trip, as some like teaching more than others.

After years of flyfishing and messing around with all sorts of new fangled flys, I've realized that you can do 99% of your fishing with just a handful. Parachute adams, chernobyl ant, royal wulff, pheasant tail nymph (beadhead and regular), prince nymph (beadhead and reg) and wooly buggers. Get those in various sizes and you'll be covered. There are probably some I'm missing and once you get into specific hatches you'll pick up a few more, but that's part of the fun. I don't fish lakes a ton with fly gear, but I end up just keep trying things until they work and be patient. If it's calm, try not to spook the fish with your cast and size down on your tippet if fishing small flies.

I like this list. The only thing I would add would be a stimulator, good general purpose attractor fly that is bushy and easy to see in low light when the action is sometimes best.

I've always had great luck on lakes with leech patterns (think small mohair wolly buggers) Beadheads help get you down. THe ubiquitous wooley bugger has feed may trout and trout fisherman. Olive or black, with a conehead.

Stillwater flyfishing can be a tough game, so slow down, watch and see what the fish are feeding on. Be prepared to try several tactics, even if you have risers. A chironomid nymph 10 feet under a bobber usually can produce results, as can a size 16 Purple Haze (or Adams, either) on top.

I'd talk to your local fly shop rather than sportsmans warehouse for better tips and techniques. Those folks live in those waters and know them well, generally. They can get you pointed in the right direction both in terms of flies & tactics to employ.

And then, if all else fails, a pink Zebco 33 with a powerbait worm usually produces. I caught the largest cutthroat of my life on that set up. 26 inches & about 8 pounds. Slipped the hook before the camera came out, but I swear as God is my witnessed, I stuck that fish & landed it. :)

The other thing I'd suggest for still water:

Get a sink tip line if you're fishing streamer of baitfish patterns. You need to get down deep, otherwise you're jigging. If you don't want to get a sink tip, then use a 15 foot leader, 3x should do it, and give the fly a 10-15 count to sink before slowly stripping it in.

Anything foam. Hoppers and ants are good. If warm water poppers.

I've had good luck with hopper/dropper set ups. You just about can't go wrong with a parachute adams on top with a copper john or san juan worm below it. If you have some bushes or overhanging trees terrestrial patterns are good. I like dave's hoppers. I'd look up what hatches happen on your lake and 'match the hatch' for top water.

I was never much good at fly fishing but one that always worked for me was a Hair Wing Coachman. Another was, I think, called an Adams.

Location? Shore or boat/tube? I've fished quit a few lakes in NorCal and may be able to provide specifics. General info above is on the money. Wooly bugger or purple leech is a good bet, get it out there and strip it in. Something to remember is not all fishing breaking the surface are eating flies off the top of water, may be feasting on emerging bugs. I have had epic days fishing a Calibaetis or bird's nest just under the surface sight fishing trout that broke the surface.

My wife got me my first fly rod for my birthday and I got to try it out at our local lake last week. I got the hang of false casting quicker than I thought I would. I only fished for a few hours and didn't catch any this time around, but there were lots of good sized trout jumping out of the water that morning. I tried a couple dry flys and wet flys (don't know the names of them, my wife picked an assortment from Sportsman's Warehouse). Anyone have reliable go to flys for lake fishing stocked and holdover trout? It's pretty hot in my area right now, lows in the low 70's highs 100-110.
mosquitoes , wolfs . royal coachmen, ants, caddis , stone flys , leeches , prince nymphs are among my go toos. personally I prefer not to go to big with them in most cases . in lakes I have hag good luck subsurface with nyphs that have a flashback

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back