Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Starting over...

kenwparker

My wife was informed yesterday that the position that she has filled for over twenty years may not be "in the budget" after the end of this fiscal year. Granted, they did not tell her or her counterpart, that fills the exact same position, which one will go--just that they have determined that they do not feel that both managers are needed. The other manager makes 25% less annually but has only been there 3 years, so financially speaking the wife may get the axe. Just depends on if they want to save the most, or save some and keep the most experienced person.

Here's my real question, and I know it is a broad one with many contributing factors, just curious though:

If you had the "opportunity" to pick up and start over--move from central KY to the west, what city, town, or state would attract you and why?

Stay away from Boy Say Idaho. Sorry, can't help you. Have been through this before and sounds like we may be going through it again all in the name of saving money. Can she/will she take a pay cut to keep her job? Just thinking out *there*.....

Stay away from Boy Say Idaho. Sorry, can't help you. Have been through this before and sounds like we may be going through it again all in the name of saving money. Can she/will she take a pay cut to keep her job? Just thinking out *there*.....

They did say that whoever was not kept in their current position would be offered a nightshift staff nurse position--over 50% pay cut.

lots of nursing jobs out here in the west...i don't think she would have a problem...if i were you, I would make sure YOU have a job lined up first.

Then you got nothing to worry about from the sounds of it. Reno is a nice place and right now homes are waaaaayyyyyyy cheap. Hunting is good but the tags are ellusive to me thus far. Great Upland though! Colorado is a great state and i enjoy my time there! Best of luck

Things to keep in mind when deciding these things: Proximity to family. Schools for kids (and advanced schooling for you and spouse) should be a consideration. All-seasons-weather. (People who visit Jackson WY in the summer, think they want to live there and discover they HATE 7 months of snow)

Medical folk seem less susceptible to economy related downturns.....:eek:oh right, that is why we have this thread!

So many areas in the Rocky Mountain West that I'd consider if I could do it. Sandpoint, Lewiston, Bozeman, Grand Junction, Telluride, Santa Fe, Flagstaff....of course none of those consider job opportunities but look pretty good on paper. Oh to dream though, my wife has built a medical practice here so we're in it for the long haul.

Grand junction has a ton of retirees and thus a couple great hospitals to keep them patched up.

Why wait for the news. Be proactive and start searching/dreaming of that next great life opportunity. Find a pair of jobs in a great place. Better to turn down a new opp than to not have one n the bag when you need it.

Why wait for the news. Be proactive and start searching/dreaming of that next great life opportunity. Find a pair of jobs in a great place. Better to turn down a new opp than to not have one n the bag when you need it.

Best advice yet! One thing I've learned after being unemployed and switching jobs a few times in the past several years is that you are much more "employable" when you are employed.

The bad new is that nursing jobs have taken a hit with the economy...with fewer people working there are fewer people with medical insurance, and the only people seeking medical treatment are those that really need it, and many elective procedures are being postponed. Hospitals are hurting...too many empty beds. Nursing schools are nearly impossible to get into, and the only graduates getting jobs are the go-getters.

The good news is that someday soon there is going to be a huge number of nurses retiring. It would have happened all ready, but with the economy the way it is many older nurses have had to keep working. They will eventually retire. Also, nurse managers are very well paid, and one RN makes enough to support the needs of a family, so you aren't hurting financially if you have been wise in the way you have managed your income for the past 20 years.

So don't worry about it unless what you really want is an excuse to talk the wife into moving to the place of your dreams now that you won't/may not be tied down to this high-paying job of hers. Also, there have been many instances of people loosing what they think is their dream job only to find another that actually makes them happier and improves their quality of life. If she gets the ax it may not be a bad thing.

Stay away from Western Montana...it's been californicated, as well as Western Oregon, where I'm from. I always thought Grand Junction was ideally located.

Salt Lake City....lots of nursing opportunity and a state that is not in bankruptcy!

You can't really go wrong with Grand Junction or anywhere on the 25 corridor. GJ will have a bit of a higher cost of living, but excellent hunting and fishing opportunity. I would actually recommend Pueblo, CO. There are a couple of hospitals and nursing homes. It's still got a small town feel, but has all the creature comforts of a much bigger place. You're within an hour of some excellent hunting and fishing. I live an hour east of there, but I would be happy to show you around in some decent antelope area.

I agree with John, I live in GJ and yes a bit higher cost of living and the housing is the same. There is lots of housing, just a little higher than the average. Lots of hunting and fishing or you can go play in the desert of Utah, let me know if you have other questions!

Though that situation would be stressful, I would fully welcome the "excuse" to re-relocate West. Any of the mid- to larger cities are going to have nursing opportunities and if you're lucky some of the smaller towns as well. Me personally, I'd be looking into southcentral to eastern Idaho or central Montana.

Another option, if your wife is up for it is to use this as an opportunity to get an advanced degree. My wife just completed school to be a family nurse practioner and finding a job was not a problem. You didn't mention whether or not you have kids. If you don't, I would definitely look into travelling nurse opportunities. Go somewhere for 3-6 mos or longer, make very good money, then move on to the next place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oras
Back