Squatters otherwise known as shitbags rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subject to the 200+ old laws that recognize that property right is hardly outlandish. What is it about modern America that celebrates a superficial understanding of our history and our laws?
Nobody's celebrating anything VG. I have 3 opinions on it tho.
1. The squatter is a piece of shit human being for actually taking the land wether a court ordered it theirs or not.
2. The actual owner is either an idiot or completely clueless.
3. The law sucks.

Not arguing and do not need an education on the law. I get it and fully understand it. Nothing changes those 3 opinions I have.

Nobody's celebrating anything VG. I have 3 opinions on it tho.
1. The squatter is a piece of shit human being for actually taking the land wether a court ordered it theirs or not.
2. The actual owner is either an idiot or completely clueless.
3. The law sucks.

Not arguing and do not need an education on the law. I get it and fully understand it. Nothing changes those 3 opinions I have.
On #1 &2. There is apparently a chance the original owner gave the person permission. So maybe the piece of shit is the kids who inherited and refused to honor his father’s decision

And #3 - this is one of the reasons for the law. Hard to know what was orally agreed to and it is not unreasonable to believe after 20 yrs of open and notorious “adverse possession” that her story is right. The law is not to punish/cheat property owners - it is to settle old murky disputes and encourage owners to use/manage their land.

Subject to the 200+ old laws that recognize that property right is hardly outlandish. What is it about modern America that celebrates a superficial understanding of our history and our laws?
I've already said in two posts I am not arguing if the law exists. I think it shouldn't exist.

You aren't doing too well in your arguments when you have to call me dim, a clown and insinuate that I am stupid. Cut that shit out. I don't think you'd talk to me like that at a trailhead, but you're welcome to try sometime.

But I definitely like your way better:

*knock knock...
"Excuse me sir. I have been sneaking into your garage at night and sitting in the driver seat of your '67 Corvette the past couple of months. You haven't driven it at all since then. It is mine now. The state gave me the title."

On #1 &2. There is apparently a chance the original owner gave the person permission. So maybe the piece of shit is the kids who inherited and refused to honor his father’s decision

And #3 - this is one of the reasons for the law. Hard to know what was orally agreed to and it is not unreasonable to believe after 20 yrs of open and notorious “adverse possession” that her story is right. The law is not to punish/cheat property owners - it is to settle old murky disputes and encourage owners to use/manage their land.

20 years seems like a long time. But both my grandparents on each side have a farm that a portion of is pretty hard to get too. All four of them being into there 80's I'd say it's been pretty close to 20 years since they've been back there. The thought that if it weren't for me occasionally hiking back in there on a rare occasion, that it's free for the taking for someone else to seems pretty ridiculous to me. Maybe I'm missing something.
Depending on your particular state there are things they can reasonably do. Routine posting can work. Paying a person once every 20 (or whatever) years to check for squatters and inform them of that status, check to see if others have created a tax parcel that overlaps (this is online in most states). Etc.

The law's goal is clear title, predictability and productive use of land. None of which are served by 20+ yr absentee owners.
Pretty hard to argue the definition of productive use of land when the federal government dishes out millions of dollars to landowners in the CRP program to literally *not* do anything to their land.

The program exists to offset "productive" use and prevent erosion.

Pretty hard to argue the definition of productive use of land when the federal government dishes out millions of dollars to landowners in the CRP program to literally *not* do anything to their land.

The program exists to offset "productive" use and prevent erosion.
Google strawman

Google strawman
I say the law shouldn't exist.

You say the law should exist because the purpose, according to the government and you, is productive use of land.

I say our government pays people through CRP to not do anything with their land.

That's not a strawman argument.

It is identifying incongruity in the purpose of a law I think shouldn't exist.

NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO HAVE THE OPINION THE LAW SUCKS! YOUR AN IDIOT AND DIM IF YOU THINK THAT WAY. WE ALL GET IT!

If you think the law is good and should exist good for you. I do not think your dim nor an idiot for having that opinion.

Everybody see the difference here.

I say the law shouldn't exist.

You say the law should exist because the purpose, according to the government and you, is productive use of land.

I say our government pays people through CRP to not do anything with their land.

That's not a strawman argument.

It is identifying incongruity in the purpose of a law I think shouldn't exist.
They are different laws by different governments for different policy purposes, so using one to attack the other is by definition a strawman fallacy.

NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO HAVE THE OPINION THE LAW SUCKS! YOUR AN IDIOT AND DIM IF YOU THINK THAT WAY. WE ALL GET IT!

If you think the law is good and should exist good for you. I do not think your dim nor an idiot for having that opinion.

Everybody see the difference here.
And a person you have never met, whose circumstances you don’t know, and who properly prevailed under routine law is not magically a piece of shit because you have a questionable opinion of property law. We can all see that too.

And a person you have never met, whose circumstances you don’t know, and who properly prevailed under routine law is not magically a piece of shit because you have a questionable opinion of property law. We can all see that too.
Would you go build or squat on land that is not yours? Furthermore if you did would you be proud of yourself if you were awarded the land because of this law?

Would you go build or squat on land that is not yours? Furthermore if you did would you be proud of yourself if you were awarded the land because of this law?

We used to own 5 acres next to a trailer park, every owner adjoining our property built a shed that encroached our property. I now live in a late 70's subdivision that's next to irrigation district acreage, multiple properties have built sheds/outbuildings on that COI land.
So, to answer your question, in my decades of owning property and observing such, nearly every person who had an opportunity to use/build on an adjacent property (seemingly unused acreage) did so without hesitation.

I would do by the book. And maybe she did have permission, we don’t know. But going from, I don’t know or I wouldn’t do it, is a long way from shitbag. Maybe best we not so routinely dehumanize others. Especially those we don’t know.

I would do by the book. And maybe she did have permission, we don’t know. But going from, I don’t know or I wouldn’t do it, is a long way from shitbag. Maybe best we not so routinely dehumanize others. Especially those we don’t know.
Permission is not the same as taking the land from someone. Whether she had Permission or not. Accepting the land from the courts makes you a not so good human in my opinion. We disagree on that and that is 100% fine.

Depending on your particular state there are things they can reasonably do. Routine posting can work. Paying a person once every 20 (or whatever) years to check for squatters and inform them of that status, check to see if others have created a tax parcel that overlaps (this is online in most states). Etc.
In Utah, all you have to do to overcome adverse possession is to give permission. If the possession is not hostile, it can't be adverse. Property rights attorneys teach that all the time, just text or email the user saying it's okay if they use your land so you have record of it. It is also wise to mention that you'll let them know if they need to cease.

It is also required that the user pay taxes on it...

"Adverse possession may not be established unless it is shown that the land has been occupied and claimed continuously for seven years, and that the party and the party's predecessors and grantors have paid all taxes which have been levied and assessed upon the land according to law."

If you are still referring to the OP, what makes you think it was squatter's rights? Because the Fox News headline says so? Did you even read the article you posted?

"Schrock’s mother had also been given the land by Burton’s father before he died and passed it down to Schrock when she died."

While I can agree with this, WTF doesn’t check on their land for 10 years?
Land sitting unused, uncared for, and unvisited for 20+ yrs is the ridiculous premise.

I get it, and laws are something I don’t understand well So forgive me if this comes across as stupid, but I do kind of cringe when I think about something like squatters rights in relation to public land - if that were even a thing.

I own 20 acres adjacent to USFS in Southwest Montana. I could absolutely put a chicken coop, a small corral, Maybe a shed, on the USFS property against mine and it seems very possible that that stuff could exist there for decades without anyone calling me on it.

I can think of lots of chunks of public land adjacent to private property where this would be the case.

I get it, and laws are something I don’t understand well So forgive me if this comes across as stupid, but I do kind of cringe when I think about something like squatters rights in relation to public land - if that were even a thing.

I own 20 acres adjacent to USFS in Southwest Montana. I could absolutely put a chicken coop, a small corral, Maybe a shed, on the USFS property against mine and it seems very possible that that stuff could exist there for decades without anyone calling me on it.

I can think of lots of chunks of public land adjacent to private property where this would be the case.
In MN there can be no adverse possession claim against state land or adverse possession of federal land via MN law. But there is a federal adverse possession provision (43 U.S. Code § 1068) that does allow for a similar outcome under certain circumstances. In general adverse possession requires continuous and adverse "possession and control" by the claimant, so just throwing up a chicken coop wouldn't get it done. Fencing it, posting it, and yelling at "trespassers" consistently for 20 years would do it. And 19.9 years in, it all evaporates if the govt points out that you are on govt land. Adverse possession isn't that easy to maintain.

For folks who like "constructive easements" as a vehicle for public land access, it is just the little brother of adverse possession, so there are important and legitimate reasons for the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back