Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Spring tahr 2020

Kiwi

While my annual USA trip was cancelled this year I was happy to be able to hunt spring tahr. I did my normal 3 nights solo, this time up the Rangitata Valley which is a place everyone should hunt at least once. Anyway I saw about 75+ bulls but nothing big. Not sure where the big bulls where hiding, possibly hiding until dark or just staying up high. After walking 12 miles / 1000+ vertical meters to my camp I wasn’t prepared to climb up to hunt the high tops. Oh to be 25 years younger! Anyway here are some average iPhone photos.

Attachments

• B0AF7369-353D-49B7-9026-19AC9F714E54.jpeg
    B0AF7369-353D-49B7-9026-19AC9F714E54.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 38
  • AB4B899F-111D-4EBF-907C-F28FA41C581A.jpeg
    AB4B899F-111D-4EBF-907C-F28FA41C581A.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 40
  • B79AC6DA-CC58-48AC-8ED9-2F80AB5190FC.jpeg
    B79AC6DA-CC58-48AC-8ED9-2F80AB5190FC.jpeg
    476.9 KB · Views: 41
  • CBE20286-5D89-4BDB-8951-25312D46CFB3.jpeg
    CBE20286-5D89-4BDB-8951-25312D46CFB3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
Following along! Spent two weeks in NZ after graduating college and would love to go back. At that time I didn’t even realize there was hunting opportunity there... Definitely want to get back and hunt while I am there too!

Cool photos. A DIY tahr hunt is high on my list. I too was there in college (1999) on a study abroad in Australia. Spent 2 weeks fishing and hiking the S Island. I'm in better hiking shape now I think, so it's not too late. But need to do it soon....

ScottP - A lot of people helicopter in to hunt tahr. On this trip I walked 9 hrs to my planned camp spot only to find two big wall tents set up lol. The hunt party included two 70 year old hunters , great to see them in the hills!

ScottP - A lot of people helicopter in to hunt tahr. On this trip I walked 9 hrs to my planned camp spot only to find two big wall tents set up lol. The hunt party included two 70 year old hunters , great to see them in the hills!

Thanks for the info. I'm more into your style of hunting. I try to minimize my time in rotary wing aircraft, plus I assume the $/hr is similar to the US. That's a lot of Speights!

Thanks for the info. I'm more into your style of hunting. I try to minimize my time in rotary wing aircraft, plus I assume the $/hr is similar to the US. That's a lot of Speights!
Good to hear. Just FYI some tahr trips are actually pretty cheap eg my winter rut chopper was $NZ400 pp return (or 3 days walk!)

you must have been happy to see that number of animals up the rangitata,i expected that area to be hit hard,,mind they might of left the bulls for the hunters,,good pics

you must have been happy to see that number of animals up the rangitata,i expected that area to be hit hard,,mind they might of left the bulls for the hunters,,good pics
Yes, good numbers. Biggest mob was 50 tahr. A high percentage of bulls too.

Sometimes I think I might be capable of doing a hunt like yours, then you post some pictures and reality kicks in!
Damn your country is steep!
Helicopter it would be for me in NZ, Llamas in Montana....hunt smart....age related! :ROFLMAO:
Cheers
Richard

Dude, your killing me!
Had grand designs of walking up to St Winnifreds and beyond this April till nthe sh**t hit the fan.
I agree the Rangitata valley a magical place, having spent many nights up there these past six years.
Hopefully your Gov will allow yanks to return again soon.
For now I will have to settle for story's from you and Les.

Great to see they left a few for hunters, even if they devastated the populations in the national parks.

Good to hear. Just FYI some tahr trips are actually pretty cheap eg my winter rut chopper was $NZ400 pp return (or 3 days walk!)
I can handle that. We pay about $600/hr for a small ship (like an R44).

Did the planned government tahr cull go ahead in the end or was it stopped?
A lot signed the petition in the UK
Yes it did. But what often gets lost is that the government culls every year but they cranked it up the last year or two. There are still plenty of Tahr but there is a risk that at some point hunting opportunities may be significantly impacted. I’m actually happy to not see mobs of 50+ Tahr and have the hunting more of a challenge.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back