PEAX Equipment

Spotlighting Deer?

BillyGoat

This was a new one to me - spotlighting deer at night for SCOUTING. My first reaction was not fair chase and on par with using aircraft.

Do you do it? Do you have a problem with it?

I caught the local sheriff spotlighting early one morning... I saw the light about 2 miles away and snuck up on the culprit to see who it was. I turned on my lights just as I neared and saw who it was. Not sure if he was shooting or not, but the area where he was shining had quite a bit of poaching activity. I drove on into town to pick up some lunch stuff for the morning hunt and he followed me all the way in to see who I was.

I really don't think there is any problem with it. IMO not much diffrent than setting out a trail camera is it? Would you consider 'scouting' at night with a set of bino's? I know I can see 4-500 yards on a full moon in the right conidtions, and if there is any snow farther than that. Is that considered fair chase? You're not hunting, just looking.

I used to do it all the time, but I didn't take a gun. Instead I'd take a video camera and record the bucks. I think it's a great way to see what the areas potential is and know what to hold out for. As for cheating, I don't see how it would be cheating or unethical as long you aren't killing them at night. Trust me, where you see them during the night is usually not where they are when the sun comes up. I don't spotlight during the season though as I think a guy is just asking for trouble if he is doing that. Like I said it's something I used to do. I haven't owned a spot light or used one for several years now.

Spotlighting during deer season is a big issue here. Its legal for hogs, but if you don't call the game warden ahead of time to warn them that you're doing it, they get pissed.

They do it for population counts here, for deer management type scouting, but that is not during deer season.

Some states it's legal.. But even where it's legal you can't have a gun in the ride. Never done it here in Idaho.... Although putting a deer down in the headlights...... ;)

It's like that joke about the bear that was killed with one shot right between the eyes and had a hole in each paw. :p

I guess I don't see the benifit in Idaho, or at least in this area ? But Unethical ? I have NO problem with it.

Legal in Idaho, just don't have anything in the vehicle capable of killing a deer, basically a gun or bow.

Wyoming laws
USE OF ARTIFICIAL LIGHT. It is illegal to take any wildlife with the aid of or by using an artificial light or lighting device except that predators may be taken with the aid of an artificial light or lighting device by:

• a public officer authorized to control predators;

• a landowner, resident manager or person with the landowner’s or a resident manager's written permission, on land under the landowner’s control for the protection of his/her property;

• it is prima facie evidence of a violation if a person uses artificial light in any area which may be inhabited by wildlife while having in his/her possession and control any device for taking wildlife.

• Hunting of raccoon is permitted with the aid of a hand light providing the hunter is accompanied by a raccoon hunting dog. If hunting on private lands, written permission of the landowner or his/her agent is required.
olefish

I really don't see the difference between spotlighting or setting up a trailcam that is capable of night time pics. I have no problem with it. What a great way for a roadhunter to "scout"!!

A friend of mine used to live in Buaffalo County, Wisconsin(big buck capital) in a good hunting area and he said before hunting season started it was common to see up to 15 vehicles a night out spotlighting.I asked the game warden here in Iowa and he said it was legal without any weapons but if he has to get out in the middle of the night to investigate spotlighting to rest assured that you would probably be getting a ticket for something.Wether it be for a seatbelt violation or some other petty violation.I don't have a problem with it as long as nobody gets a itchy trigger finger.

Ethics: Questionable at best, even if you're just looking.

It seems to me that with all the other advantages (roads, center-fire rifles, binoculars, spotting scopes, gps's, maps, etc. etc. etc. etc.) enough is enough.

I dont believe that trail cams or spot-light scouting should be legal in any state.

Animals now days are harrassed, photographed, and pursued 24-7-365...they never get a break...even at night...and its gotten to the point of being absolutely ridiculous.

I asked because I am on my way to my AZ strip hunt and somebody told me at the last minute to bring a spotlight for this purpose. Apparently it is not uncommon with the guides -- in a unit that last year had a success rate of 90% with average width of 28". :confused: I suppose if I were being paid $3k to find the big one, I'd be pulling every legal trick out there as well. Needless to say I am heading out without one.

Would you consider 'scouting' at night with a set of bino's? I know I can see 4-500 yards on a full moon in the right conidtions, and if there is any snow farther than that. Is that considered fair chase? You're not hunting, just looking.
IMO this is different. It is not artificial light and if you are doing this you are bad a$$ anyway and earning that animal.

This was a new one to me - spotlighting deer at night for SCOUTING. My first reaction was not fair chase and on par with using aircraft.

Do you do it? Do you have a problem with it?

I do have a problem with it( and with trail cams). I kind of think that our game animals need some time without human disturbance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back