Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

South Florida Hunter

BLeeber

Hello all,

I am writing you from Naples, FL to see if you can offer some help or advice in anyway. Today, I am 46 years old but have had a passion for deer hunting since the mid 1980's. I grew up in SW. Florida not knowing anyone who hunted...so I didn't hunt, but wanted to learn. I bought my first rifle at age 18 and taught myself how to shoot. In the 28 years that have past, I have only hunted 8 times. All of these hunts were day hunts with a guide for hogs or exotics in Florida. All of these hunts were fun and had me bringing home some good game meat but really didn't teach me a lot about hunting, especially preparing me to hunt on my own. As you may agree...I have found that Florida is a pretty tough State to find quality hunting, much less land to hunt on. I had thought about public land but wonder if I am too inexperienced and would not want to ruin someone else's hunt due to my lack of knowledge. I also have thought about longer, week long, deer hunts with an outfitter in N. Florida, Georgia or Alabama. But, I'm not really sure how to tell which outfitters are reliable and ethical. Also, would that prepare me further to hunt on my own? I don't know. I live in Naples and do have access to public land not too far from me (which would help with the ability to be consistent). But, I am just wondering how to break into the sport and be consistent with it to gain experience.

*I have 3 boys ages 10 and under now and I really want to get serious about hunting. My goal is to become educated and experienced enough in the outdoors, myself, so that I may raise my kids in a hunting/outdoor household and to give them the outdoor opportunities that I didn't have growing up. I really envy families that grow up spending time together in the outdoors. I strive to be a family like that one day and pass that heritage on to my kids.

If you (or someone you know) have any suggestions, comments or advice on getting started, I would be grateful.

Thank you!

Welcome. If you hang out here, especially this time of year, you will pick up a lot of bits and pieces to help you put together a plan.

Admire you commitment to getting your kids out hunting. Whether it's squirrels, doves, deer, or whatever, getting them out in the woods is what will make a difference.

Wish I had some knowledge of the public land situation near you. I suspect it is like public land every where - with some investment of time and effort you will find a few places others overlook, giving you great opportunity.

And once you start to look around, you will find that trip out west is very doable, on a limited budget, with millions of acres to explore. Lots of tags are easy to draw and some animals are just made for that first trip out west (pronghorn).

Best of luck this season.

Welcome to the site. The info you on here while great for out west will not generally be any help in the Florida woods. Especially on public land in Florida. The closest thing that can possibly even come close would be the Colorado OTC elk seasons as far as people go. I grew up hunting in Florida and have been out for a little over 5 years. I would say to definitely get out on public land and find you some spots the have sign but be prepared if you find it other people know about it. Always have a back up to the back up plan. That's about the same here in Colorado. Hogs are always a good time although we seldom just went after them. If they came by or we came across them then it might be game on. We were whitetail hunters first hog shooters if we were bored lol. I always hunted to the north of Tampa at least an hour but it is all the same until you get out in the panhandle. Good luck

I suggest getting in touch with your local DNR/wildlife office and seeing if they having a menor program or maybe have some ideas of locals wanting/willing to share knowledge. Hunting brothers and sisters tend to be very generous :) Also, check BassPro/cabelas/etc for clinics and see if you can find some florida specific forums to try and hook up with some locals. I was in you r situation (mostly) 11 years ago and have found some wonderful folks to help me along the way. Like folks have said earlier, make sure and get into the woods. Even an unsuccessful hunt can be very informative.

Start small and work up. Small game hunting is too often forgotten, now that deer is king. Squirrel hunting is a great way to learn a piece of ground. Slowly slip through the place stopping often to find what they are feeding on. Plus they taste great!

Since you are wanting to learn to hunt, before I'd spend the money on a guided week long deer hunt, I'd look into joining an existing lease/club. Find a good one and you should be able to learn from the others quite quickly. Here's a link to lots of sportsmans/hunting clubs in Florida:
http://www.myfloridaclub.com/services.asp?op=bcard&category=19

I would think a good GPS unit and find some public ground and start exploring. Look for trails and other evidence of wildlife and then maybe invest in a game camera (check rules and regs). There is no substitute for being in the woods exploring and learning the area. That's where I would start. I have seen lots of whitetail shot in Florida, its just learning the areas, maybe hang out at a local gun/hunting shop and try to pick some peoples brains there. Good luck!!

Something I have noticed is people seem to get more into buying gear and drawing good tags instead of simply getting in the woods. Hunting things like dove, rabbits, squirrels, or coyotes can be a lot of fun and won't require big $ to participate.

Look at what opportunities you have in Florida Hogs, deer, quail, bear, turkeys, gators, small game, etc... Make the best of those opportunities and when finances and time allow try hunting in another state. Might be able to combine a vacation with a hunting trip to keep the kids/wife involved.

I'm looking for a hunting partner here in Florida for both Bore and Whitetail hunting if interested please write me back. Thanks!

Alan

This is a great forum foer everything hunting but does have some western bias as big fin already wrote. Definately stay on here for all kinds of information, especially on equipment, clothing and firearms. I would suggest georgia outdoor news forum. While it is not going to help much for hunting areas in florida, the general techniques and game are very similar. I have hunted some in south georgia and can tell you that GON has helped me through a bunch of problems. The forum should help a bunch for deer and hogs.

I respect the hell out of you for having the sence to ask questions and aknowledge what you need help on.

My suggestion is also to do some small game on your own on some public land near you as much as possible. Also take your kids as much as possible. They don't know that you are learning too and will just enjoy doing something you are interested in too. The quicker you get them hunting the more natural it will become for everyone. Nothing beats seeing your kids get a first squirrel, deer, etc.

I hunt Florida and am looking for a partner contact me if interested. I hunted since the age of 10 experience, advice and the will to hunt is within. Partner needed I am only able to afford public areas. I have fair to good harvests and always FUN!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hunt Florida and am looking for a partner contact me if interested. I hunted since the age of 10 experience, advice and the will to hunt is within. Partner needed I am only able to afford public areas. I have fair to good harvests and always FUN!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oras
Back