Son's First Deer

CiK

Late posting this, but thought I would share. It's my 10 year old son's first deer, that happens to also be a dandy buck for Kentucky.

He has hunted with me for a long time, but always told me he wanted the first deer to be a good one. Big Buck Down is what he used to say. He has passed on countless others where I almost grabbed the weapon from him and shot it myself. I had to remember it was about him, not me. It was about him when he wouldn't shoot the fawn. It was about him when he wouldn't shoot the doe with a fawn in tow. It was about him when he wouldn't shoot the forky. It was all about him. We had been out 6 other times this year, and each time he passed on something that didn't fit the bill. I don't think he is a trophy hunter because I am not. Can't eat the ornaments. I think he just committed himself to what he wanted and didn't settle. It was about him.

It was getting late this night we were out, he was showing some signs of being discouraged, but all of a sudden "God Provided".....as my son put it. It all went down in less than 45 seconds, and all the practice we put into this went out the window in the hurry. He jumped from his seat and nearly threw the bow at the deer, I swear he couldn't find the buck in the crosshairs (crossbow) and he hit the buck further back than what we had practiced (30yds). As that buck was running off, I was asking (praying in a way) for it to fall because the shot placement was back and I knew it. My son didn't though and screamed, cried and yelled "God Provides".

My son taught me something that day. That buck finally stopped running within 10yds of the neighbors property line and it began to wobble. Even with all my worry, God provided. I looked up and thanked Him for it. I will never forget this day with my son. I will never forget what my son taught me that day. I love hunting and what it provides my family.

On to Colorado for 4th season rifle now. Even if we come home empty handed, God provides.

120779394_10157978393408710_6329080265513660935_o.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice buck! Nicer job on the parenting and shaping of a young man!

God ALWAYS provides!
I can’t take credit for him. It’s his mother’s doing. She pulled me from the flame and is guiding our family like a saint.

I only hope to be half the father as she is a mother to our kids.

Always special for the first buck. Spending time in the woods with your kids really lets you know what kind of person they are turning into.

Congrats to you both.

Reactions: CiK
What you’ve done is special. You made a BIG deposit I your son’s saving account. It was a massive deposit of memories. These deposits never get spent, they only grow with compounding interest for the rest of his days.
That is some damn fine parenting. Well done.

Late posting this, but thought I would share. It's my 10 year old son's first deer, that happens to also be a dandy buck for Kentucky.

He has hunted with me for a long time, but always told me he wanted the first deer to be a good one. Big Buck Down is what he used to say. He has passed on countless others where I almost grabbed the weapon from him and shot it myself. I had to remember it was about him, not me. It was about him when he wouldn't shoot the fawn. It was about him when he wouldn't shoot the doe with a fawn in tow. It was about him when he wouldn't shoot the forky. It was all about him. We had been out 6 other times this year, and each time he passed on something that didn't fit the bill. I don't think he is a trophy hunter because I am not. Can't eat the ornaments. I think he just committed himself to what he wanted and didn't settle. It was about him.

It was getting late this night we were out, he was showing some signs of being discouraged, but all of a sudden "God Provided".....as my son put it. It all went down in less than 45 seconds, and all the practice we put into this went out the window in the hurry. He jumped from his seat and nearly threw the bow at the deer, I swear he couldn't find the buck in the crosshairs (crossbow) and he hit the buck further back than what we had practiced (30yds). As that buck was running off, I was asking (praying in a way) for it to fall because the shot placement was back and I knew it. My son didn't though and screamed, cried and yelled "God Provides".

My son taught me something that day. That buck finally stopped running within 10yds of the neighbors property line and it began to wobble. Even with all my worry, God provided. I looked up and thanked Him for it. I will never forget this day with my son. I will never forget what my son taught me that day. I love hunting and what it provides my family. On to Colorado for 4th season rifle now. Even if we come home empty handed, God provides.

View attachment 159817
Congratulations to your son and to you. Great buck and great story.

That’s a big dose of the good stuff. Glad the two of you could have the experience.

I'm glad for his resolve and a positive outcome. With experience I imagine he will work on the firedrill at the moment of truth.

Congratulations on the first of many

Back