Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

SOLO? IS IT POSSIBLE WITH ELK?

Ok, so this is a question I've been asking for quite a while now. If I make the trip to say Colorado to elk hunt, will it be possible to get a elk out solo? I'm not short of ambition or will. I know how to break down animals, but will I be in over my head on this? I was thinking I want to find a unit more flat and close to what I'm use to first so it may not be such a typography shock for me. Let me know what you all think.

Definitely possible! I have done it many times. Just have to make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get the job done. Know your limitations and be in the best shape possible. That being said, I've never had to get an elk out solo in warm weather so if you're archery hunting you'll want to factor that in as well. I say go for it and good luck!

Elk on flat land in CO...does that exist?

It's been done many times. Like ashersdad said, though, I would be more concerned in warm weather. I know several times even when I have had a partner to help, we still had a lot of flies on the meat before we could get it in game bags. Also, if it takes more than a day to pack it out and it doesn't cool off at night, you might run into spoilage.

Yes... but you need to limit yourself to a 1hr hike in/out of your spot... because you will be doing that hike 7 times to get an elk out.

Also it's much easier in 3rd and 4th season than archery/1st season simply because of the weather.

It's certainly possible, you just need to be realistic about your abilities and make a plan that you won't break. i.e., when I go solo I won't be more than 3 miles from the truck and if there is significant elevation, less than that. It may limit your flexibility a little but it is definitely doable.

I'm still doing it at 77. So, yes you can do it. Do your training with a weighted pack. Just like in lifting weights you add weight as you get stronger. Build up to at least the amount of weight you think you can handle. Make sure you train with the pack on similar ground as the hunt. Come early and get acclimated to the altitude before the hunt starts. Buy a good frame pack. Drink a lot of water. You might consider a cow hunt for your first hunt.

Good luck.

I'm planning a trip like this with some considerations:

-2 trial runs with deer in 2019 with the same gear I'll be using on elk. The first was gutless method and a short hike, but good practice using gutless, game bags, and distributing weight in the pack properly (total pack weight ~ 85 lbs). Gutless took an hour the first time, but additional practice will shorten this. The second was a much larger deer, bone in, 1.25 miles in rugged terrain, ~ 120 lbs pack weight. Everything worked as I thought it would, except I realize I need a method to secure my bow to my pack so my hands are free on the trekking poles. Caribou game bags were a big winner.

-Part of my trip planning is self-imposed distance limits from carcass to cooler for killing a cow elk, based on air temp, and difficulty of terrain. My distances are even shorter for a bull since it takes more time/trips.

-Adequate strength/fitness prep. I can backpack 30+ miles in 24 hours if I put the time in to prepare my body in the months prior. Consuming 8-10 liters of water in this span is not out of the question if it's warm/sunny. Avoid the pitfalls of overdoing it, skipping breaks/rest, risking injury, or losing mental focus to descend into panic, despair, negativity, fear.

-I've found deer to be somewhat forgiving in how quick I need to get the hide off to cool the meat, but an elk is a much bigger animal, and is well-insulated from the outside, so I know how crucial it is to break it down and get the meat hung and cooling while I implement my pack out plan.

My 42-year son does it all the time in MT.
He has done moose and elk.
His moose took 5 trips and added up to be 18 miles of packing meat. One of his bull elk took 5 trips
For a total of 20 miles packing meat and took an extra days hunting to get it.
No Idea how much he hiked hunting.

Today I scheduled my boots-on-the-ground scouting trip to WY - July 30-31. Those mountains look pretty manageable on Google Earth Pro, but I'll be confirming in person whether or not I'm over my head. Now, just to draw that tag...

Four trips minimum probably five to six. Shuttling meat to a trailhead or cool river or creek can help with heat issues and morale it is amazing what having all of the meat at the top of the hole so we don’t have to go back to the carcass before you start shuttling to your vehicle.

Gutless took an hour the first time, but additional practice will shorten this.

To add on to this...

In 2018 it took me 4 hours to butcher my elk solo, elk was on the side of a hill (not terribly steep but I had to wedge it in a bush so it wouldn't slide. I did the gutless method skinned the head, and boned out all the meat.

2019 took me 2 hrs 13 min to do the same for a mule deer.

2019 I had two people helping me on an elk and I was able to do the entire process in 90 min

I've butchered or helped butcher 7 elk and probably 25 or so other critters... so I'm proficient but not an expert. Hopefully these times give you a general idea of what to expect.

2018 bull
1578953740637.png
1578953758050.png

ok my 2 cents like everyone else here yes its possible but for your first trip dont over do it going in to far with never been out west a back country trip could be over whelming
this is coming from a Pa guy that was blown away on his first elk trip and was in Colorado with 3 other Pa guys that ended up with major issues with the altitude on one trip so much so they couldnt hunt every day
training is huge and mental toughness is even a bigger deal
Im no expert and many on here know a lot more than I do just my 2 cents
im 56 soon to be 57 and lost my hunting partners due to health issues for 2020 trying to figure out what im going to do if I go solo or take a new hunter even tho I know the area pretty well by now not sure if solo at 57 is smart

I enjoy solo hunting. I have done solo elk hunts three times, all successful. The last time was 7 years ago when I was 60. I had a great time! Three days scouting, four days hunting and two days packing meat and antlers. I killed my best bull ever. I am sure that I could still do a solo elk hunt as I am still prime! However my wife and kids think that I need adult supervision now days for anything larger than a coues deer. I recommend if you feel comfortable hunting solo, do it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back