NEW SITKA Ambient 75

socks and windproof gear?

smalls

Whats your favorite sock for hunting/hiking? I've been using Cabelas Ultimax...wondering if there is anything better.

What is your favorite mid-weight windproof gear? I am looking for something that I can layer over a base layer (under armour) that is a) not bulky b) somewhat insulating and c) WINDPROOF!

Nearly died (sorta) camping and hunting up on my property this past October. My wool coat and flannel-lined jeans didn't even begin to block the north wind blasting toward the peaks. We all had that dripping 90wt snot dripping out of our noses. Then when the sun came up, I cooked.
The only guy who was comfortable was my cousin Matt who was wearing Cabela's Berber pants and jacket with Windblock. I bought a set myself... anything to avoid shivering to the point of getting cramps like I did last year.

Thx NHY. I forgot the name of that windblocking material... Windshear. I put all that stuff on and cleaned up the garrage this Sunday morning while it was 28 degrees out (Cali is currently in the middle of a cold snap). I was nice and toasty.
Cold feet can be a difficult problem to prevent, but I've found that if the rest of your body doesn't get chilled -the feet remain OK unless your socks get wet. I try to offset that situation by wearing 2 pairs of socks -one cotton and the other wool with Gortex. Sometimes it works.
Alot of guys might say that I'm a wuss and can't hack the tough elements. If that's the case, they should have been on the hunt with me last year. Got down to 10 at night which isn't bad -but worst of all was the contant north 10 to 20 mph wind that would penetrate EVERYTHING. We figured that with windchill factored in it was down to -12 degrees in the morning while we were hunting. Everything was fine as long as I was moving around. As soon as I stopped to glass, everything went bad. Both my binoculars AND my eyeglasses ICED over -hell, I was blind! You can't hunt when you're handicapped like that. I'm hoping the Windshear stuff I bought will offset things next year.

Socks

I started wearing the polyrpo liner socks with a good pair of wool hiking socks over them a few years ago and have ever looked back. Goretex boots are a must here in Oregon and the PP liner socks keep your feet from getting clammy. I carry an extra set in my pack for longer hikes and have seldom had to change.

I used the Cabelas Wind Shear also, but usually layer with synthetics. I have a few cotton shirts, but I don't suggest using them unless kicking back in camp.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back