Gear List: Favorite Hunting Accessories

50oz Camelbak for me as the 32oz just wasn’t enough on warm weather hunts/hikes.

Kevlar gloves for skinning, work sharp pocket sharpener, MSR windburner, ferro rod, and notebook to document hunt details. I have found the note pad to be invaluable to accurately recall dates/times/weather conditions for hunting strategy.

notebook to document hunt details. I have found the note pad to be invaluable to accurately recall dates/times/weather conditions for hunting strategy.
I wish I had bought stock in Write in the Rain notebooks when I started my professional career. Work/play/whatever all have their own 4 1/2x7 notebooks.

they are truly an "accessory" as you really don't need them but down booties make any camping in cold weather sooo much more enjoyable...
I like the OG feathered friends model but now there are a pretty significant number of options.
the downside is that I will probably die falling into a crevasse at some point because I was too lazy to put boots back on...
I use the booties as well. Game changer.

Fenix headlamp
Pocket rocket
Steri-pen
Power bank
Leatherman
Silky Pocketboy saw
Bic lighter + waterproof matches and pyro putty
Leukotape
These things are in my bag year-round. I also started carrying LMNT electrolytes.

I have Raynauds’ and Smartwool merino liner gloves are the absolute best bang for the buck I’ve been able to find to keep my hands warm avd have dexterity. Top those with a set of Kinko fleece-lined leather gloves and I can function ok in cold temps.

I bought a Nemo sleeping pad a couple years ago and that thing is AWESOME for backpacking. Paco pad for car camping.

Last edited:
I have desperately needed a fire before and almost didn’t get it going in time. My fire kit containing the following and kept in a quart ziploc is always in my pack:

Ferro rod
Vaseline soaked cotton balls
Dryer lint
Wax paper
Bic mini wrapped in electrical tape
A few shards of pine kindling

I also usually have a wad of pyro putty and an additional bic lighter somewhere in my pack.

Two things that are always in my pocket are a folding knife and another bic lighter. Doesn’t matter if I am just going to town.

I love my Toaks 750 ML pot. Goes everywhere but day hikes and sometimes on those. A small fuel canister and my folding MSR plastic spork fit nicely inside.

A good compass and InReach Explorer for navigation.

At least one extra pair of socks.

Sea to Summit Traveler silk sleeping bag liner. Don’t know how I used to get along without it. Keeps my quilt/bag and sleeping pad clean and is just plain comfy.

I will never go back to a 20” or a tapered sleeping pad. The extra comfort of a 25” rectangular pad is worth the weight penalty. I am currently using the Thermorest Xlite NXT Max. I love that thing. Way quieter than the old model and just more comfortable all around.

I carry two pillows. One is a Sea to Summit inflatable. The other is a Nemo Fillo.

I always have 2 headlamps. One is just a cheapo Energizer that runs off 3 AAA batteries. I always have a spare set of batteries. The other is a Nitecore rechargeable. I have several that I rotate through depending on what I need for a trip.

At least one Anker power bank. Sometimes two. I will be looking at some sort of solar charging apparatus this summer. I have heard mixed reviews on those.

Trekking poles. Currently using Black Diamond Carbon Cork or whatever they are called.

I use a Platypus Big Zip in either 2 or 3 liter depending. I take a Platypus Gravity Works system and/or a a Platypus Quickdraw and a 1L Smartwater bottle for filtration. I will be looking for another filtration option to take instead of the Gravity Works for when I don’t need to filter so much water at once.

they are truly an "accessory" as you really don't need them but down booties make any camping in cold weather sooo much more enjoyable...
I like the OG feathered friends model but now there are a pretty significant number of options.
the downside is that I will probably die falling into a crevasse at some point because I was too lazy to put boots back on...
Been eyeballing booties for a while...rolling the dice on this 50% off sale for the OR aerogel version

Good stuff folks!

Thanks for reminding me to check my belt ammo holder Ken. It's gotta be 20 years old. I did change the ammo a couple times.

I just got a Gerber folding skinner with a scary looking tool on the other end from Randy sale. It looks to fit the bill for all the skinning one does doing gutless.
I just gotta find the Gerber folding replaceable blade knife to cut the hide easier.
Gotta fix the tip on my old Uncle Henry. I used my Gerber clip knife I have had 25 years to cut up last years elk when I found my tip broken and the scalpel knife was no where to be found.

Good stuff folks!

Thanks for reminding me to check my belt ammo holder Ken. It's gotta be 20 years old. I did change the ammo a couple times.

I just got a Gerber folding skinner with a scary looking tool on the other end from Randy sale. It looks to fit the bill for all the skinning one does doing gutless.
I just gotta find the Gerber folding replaceable blade knife to cut the hide easier.
Gotta fix the tip on my old Uncle Henry. I used my Gerber clip knife I have had 25 years to cut up last years elk when I found my tip broken and the scalpel knife was no where to be found.
Charging the ammo holder is more critical than matching socks Hank...

..lesson learned;)

Swedish Firesteel with a small ziplock stuffed with dryer lint (makes an excellent fire starter)
Black Diamond trekking poles
Kifaru gun bearer

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back