Caribou Gear Tarp

Gear List: Favorite Hunting Accessories

I really like my Katadyn Base Camp water filter. Hard to beat. I do bring a cheap, flexible plastic cup so I’m not forced to drag the bag in the water source.
Smart! I've yet to try one but Randy highly recommends so I'll likely take it backpacking this summer and check it out :)

When shaving ounces is the highest priority, it’s amazing how far you can get with a MSR Pocket Rocket stove and a Snow Peak titanium cup. Incredibly light and the cup works just fine right on the stove. It’s even close to the volume of water needed in most Mountain House-type meals.

If you are eating freeze-dried meals, you really need no more food prep stuff than a cup like the one below, a MSR pocket rocket and a spoon. Total weight for all three items: under 6 oz

Not bad for a cooking setup.

Last edited:
When shaving ounces is the highest priority, it’s amazing how far you can get with a MSR Pocket Rocket stove and a Snow Peak titanium cup. Incredibly light and the cup works just fine right on the stove. It’s even close to the volume of water needed in most Mountain House-type meals.

If you are eating freeze-dried meals, you really need no more food prep stuff than a cup like the one below, a MSR pocket rocket and a spoon. Total weight for all three items: under 6 oz

Not bad for a cooking setup.

Super smart. I also use a Pocket Rocket, and it's been reliable since 2014. Though it might be time to replace it jic.

I like the bigger kettle for filling my Nalgene at night; it perfectly fits and locks down the fuel can as well.

Fun to see what everyone uses. I might buy the cup to add as an emergency/quick meal kit on more intense day hunts/hikes.

You come bearing gifts LOL You're in CO, ever have trouble getting one of those things to light up in cold/high elevation? You bring a fire backup?

Never had a failure, I carry a small can of pyro putty just in case I need a boost but haven't had to use it, and the spark from the flint is enough to light my Jetboil...

Never had a failure, I carry a small can of pyro putty just in case I need a boost but haven't had to use it, and the spark from the flint is enough to light my Jetboil...
Nice! I've had a few bic failures but I still carry one. I wrap my duct tape around it so it can serve a purpose even if it cashes out. My backup has always been waterproof matches and those super light bagged firestarters that burn for 5 min.

A sleeping pad is nice. I actually bought one that is thicker and full length. It weighs like 5oz extra and that kinda goes against all my rules, but I think it'll be nice to have a full length pad.

I also bought these puffy socks off amazon that only weigh like 4oz, but they insure my feet will always be warm when I sleep.

9 oz for some extra comfort isn't bad I suppose. I guess I'm getting soft.

Super smart. I also use a Pocket Rocket, and it's been reliable since 2014. Though it might be time to replace it jic.

I like the bigger kettle for filling my Nalgene at night; it perfectly fits and locks down the fuel can as well.

Fun to see what everyone uses. I might buy the cup to add as an emergency/quick meal kit on more intense day hunts/hikes.

I used a Pocket Rocket for quite a few years, but noticed how much more fuel I would burn that my buddies that used Jetboils. being able to carry less fuel was what got me to switch over. I still have the pocket rocket and use it, just not for backpacking.

A sleeping pad is nice. I actually bought one that is thicker and full length. It weighs like 5oz extra and that kinda goes against all my rules, but I think it'll be nice to have a full length pad.

I also bought these puffy socks off amazon that only weigh like 4oz, but they insure my feet will always be warm when I sleep.

9 oz for some extra comfort isn't bad I suppose. I guess I'm getting soft.
I will always carry a little extra weight for comfort. Sleep is at a premium in the woods, and better rested days afield are well worth it. I slept on a half pad for 150 miles on the CDT. Never again.

Love it. I had a major failure with Black Diamond soooo it's hard for me to trust them. But now I'm on Randy's two-headlamp plan :) I found reflective p-cord that doubles as firestarter and I'm excited to test it in the field this year!
Same experience with black diamond plus you needed a engineering degree for the controls. Also had a lack luster experience with a petzl currently running a coast.

they are truly an "accessory" as you really don't need them but down booties make any camping in cold weather sooo much more enjoyable...
I like the OG feathered friends model but now there are a pretty significant number of options.
the downside is that I will probably die falling into a crevasse at some point because I was too lazy to put boots back on...

I do this, and duct tape itself burns pretty well. I've used a fire starter on multiple occasions.
I see myself using my last bit of duct tape as a firestarter, and then I get a blister ten miles back in the woods. But yeah it does work in a pinch! LOL

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back