Congrats. I am always happy to hear of retirements. Curious how you decided that now was the time? Why not last month or next month or next year?
Fair question.
As to the timing on the month, well 2 reasons.
1. Hunting season
2. Field work is largely wrapping up. I had all my QC numbers met, production wrapped up, etc so didnt leave coworker in a bind.
As to the year...tough one. My original plan was to retire at 60. Then came trump2.0 and his south african side kick. I was in the perfect place to take the DRP, and I really wanted to take it.
However, with the clown show of the new administration, I saw Union Membership sky rocket. The local that I was President of the past decade, saw astronomical growth. So, high we were given an award by NFFE.
I knew I had to stay a couple more years at that point. I was being entrusted to help a workforce and represent them best I could through a blatant and illegal attack on the Federal workforce.
Along with my day job, i did a lot of work trying my best to help coworkers navigate the lowest points in many of their careers. Undoubtedly the toughest 2 years for me personally at my Union role. Lots of long phone calls with anxious coworkers, most of them after tough days in the field.
The Union has been successful in thwarting a bunch of this administration's bullshit.
Things are far from perfect, but in a much better place now than 2 years ago. I have mentored 2 amazing coworkers to take over the Local Union. They are both brilliant employees, 2 finer Gentlewomen would be tough to find. They will, without doubt, represent the Union and bargaining unit employees better than i did.
At the same time I also mentored another coworker to take my place in my normal job. He will step right in no problem.
So wirh everything in good order at work...and the offer of VSIP/VERA, the table was set for me.
Been financially set for 5 years...my one recommendation here: PAY YOURSELF FIRST.
When you prepare correctly, the timing becomes a bit easier.