Snow skiing vs water skiing

I took a group lesson my first time out and fell on my butt about 50 times the first hour, but after that I got the hang of it and was fine on my own. I have good balance and am an experienced hockey skater so that probably helped the learning curve. I've never water skied and probably never will - much prefer a single board both behind a boat and on the slopes.

In all seriousness, I'd vote for a lesson. Also I'm not sure if you're going with anyone but I feel it's easier on the beginner to tackle the new skill with another beginner unless the other person has a strong teaching experience.

Me, I've been snowboarding since I've been 6(24yrs ago), I learned without lessons(trial and error) and would claim I am a pretty good rider whether it be mountain riding or the terrain parks. However, I can't teach worth shit because it's all natural to me and I have a tough time expressing what I do as it's all reaction. So it can be frustrating for both parties or maybe I'm just a horrendous teacher.

Final thoughts, set your expectations low... plan on falling, alot, and taking forever to get down slopes. It's all part of the learning experience.

Last edited:
I do both and can tell you they are very different. Think about it like this: Water skiing you are leaning back and pulling thru your turns. Snow skiing you need to have your shins in the front of your boots and weight forward.

That said, there is no reason you cant pick it up quick.

In all seriousness, I'd vote for a lesson. Also I'm not sure if you're going with anyone but I feel it's easier on the beginner to tackle the new skill with another beginner unless the other person has a strong teaching experience.

Me, I've been snowboarding since I've been 6(24yrs ago), I learned without lessons(trial and error) and would claim I am a pretty good rider whether it be mountain riding or the terrain parks. However, I can't teach worth shit because it's all natural to me and I have a tough time expressing what I do as it's all reaction. So it can be frustrating for both parties or maybe I'm just a horrendous teacher.

Final thoughts, set your expectations low... plan on falling, alot, and taking forever to get down slopes. It's all part of the learning experience.

Guess I compare it to rollerblading....balance over the wheels or you better be wearing a helmet and elbow pads.

I would say it depends on how old you are. If you are young, take a lesson. If you are older, take a lesson.

The bigger distinction is at the bar. If you are <25, then beer is a good recovery drink. For every 10 years, add subsequent rounds of whiskey and ibuprofen(in alternating order). In all cases, continuous beer recovery is necessary.

I would say it depends on how old you are. If you are young, take a lesson. If you are older, take a lesson.

The bigger distinction is at the bar. If you are <25, then beer is a good recovery drink. For every 10 years, add subsequent rounds of whiskey and ibuprofen(in alternating order). In all cases, continuous beer recovery is necessary.
Best advice of the thread... also beware of the cougars, probably a less of a problem in NM but still, I’d carry protection.

Downhill is a butt-kicker for sure, but there is nothing that has me hobbling around like a 90 year old more than my yearly slalom session just to prove to myself that I can still do it.

Delegate 75% of your frustration and 90% of your pain to an instructor. We are trained, experienced, oriented to your safety and success, and every one of us has taught more beginners than any other skill level. Snow skiing is counterintuitive: your instincts from life in general and most other sports are almost all wrong. Example: if you are losing your balance on skis, the effective solution is to extend upward, meaning stand taller. Another example: leaning or twisting toward your right will cause you to veer left regardless of your plans to the contrary. Simplify your life, enjoy a rewarding and successful 1st experience on skis: Take a lesson. It will include current equipment, calibrated to your dimensions and skill level, and a day of lift riding, along with the instruction. We want you to keep skiing, not to become a one-and-done.

Last edited:
Delegate 75% of your frustration and 90% of your pain to an instructor. We are trained, experienced, oriented to your safety and success, and every one of us has taught more beginners than any other skill level. Snow skiing is counterintuitive: your instincts from life in general and most other sports are almost all wrong. Example: if you are losing your balance on skis, the effective solution is to extend upward, meaning stand taller. Another example: leaning or twisting toward your right will cause you to veer left regardless of your plans to the contrary. Simplify your life, enjoy a rewarding and successful 1st experience on skis: Take a lesson. It will include current equipment, calibrated to your dimensions and skill level and a day of lift riding, along with the instruction. We want you to keep skiing, not to become a one-and-done.

Or just send it

I don't think they remotely translate. Like Gomer, I can ski about any black diamond around, but I suck at water skiing.

Pay for the lesson.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back