Snausages

We do tenderquick, a little salt, pepper, and garlic water with our hogs. Add till taste is right. How I was taught from a kid don’t see much reason to change

We've been having fun experimenting with sausage recipes! A firm favorite is the Swedish Potato sausage, but homemade bratwurst and Italian sausages are also really good. I've been enjoying adding fresh homegrown marjoram, thyme and loads of basil to my recipes, but we've yet to get any in the freezer to see how the fresh herbs do because we eat them all so fast :)

We've been having fun experimenting with sausage recipes! A firm favorite is the Swedish Potato sausage, but homemade bratwurst and Italian sausages are also really good. I've been enjoying adding fresh homegrown marjoram, thyme and loads of basil to my recipes, but we've yet to get any in the freezer to see how the fresh herbs do because we eat them all so fast :)
Care to share that brat recipe?
Looking to add those to the list.

Never heard of Swedish potato, I'll have to give that one a search

Care to share that brat recipe?
Looking to add those to the list.

Never heard of Swedish potato, I'll have to give that one a search
As I recall we used mule deer ground with 20% pork added for a total of 2lbs of meat. 2-3tsp salt, 2tsp white pepper, 1tsp mace, 1/4tsp cardamom, 1/4tsp ground caraway seeds, an 8inch stem of fresh marjoram--leaves stripped off and finely chopped, 1/4 cup ice cold water, and 1 duck egg. I beat the mixture for a minute in my kitchenaid and then stuffed into hog casings.

Definitely try the Swedish potato sausage! And it doesn't have to be stuffed into casings either, if you finely grate the potato and onion instead of running it through the grinder it's like the best part of a hash brown meets the best part of a sausage patty when fried in bacon grease.

As I recall we used mule deer ground with 20% pork added for a total of 2lbs of meat. 2-3tsp salt, 2tsp white pepper, 1tsp mace, 1/4tsp cardamom, 1/4tsp ground caraway seeds, an 8inch stem of fresh marjoram--leaves stripped off and finely chopped, 1/4 cup ice cold water, and 1 duck egg. I beat the mixture for a minute in my kitchenaid and then stuffed into hog casings.

Definitely try the Swedish potato sausage! And it doesn't have to be stuffed into casings either, if you finely grate the potato and onion instead of running it through the grinder it's like the best part of a hash brown meets the best part of a sausage patty when fried in bacon grease.
You have my attention.

I’m gearing up to grind some Pork butts for sausage to have to take to camp.
Probably Italian sweet fennel, hot Italian, Fresh Polish and Chorizo. Pretty much have everything I need but the pork. Watching for a sale on the pork.

Started dabbling with homemade sausage in preparation for hunting season.
Anybody else enjoy stuffing casings and grinding meat?
Feel free to drop your favorite recipes as well!

1st picture is 100% pork. 2nd is 75% pork, 25% beef, studded with hi-temp cheeseView attachment 235215View attachment 235216
I’ve never told another man this and I don’t feel comfortable saying it, but I like the look of your sausage!

I’ve never told another man this and I don’t feel comfortable saying it, but I like the look of your sausage!
If you ever make it to my neck of the woods you can come put some in your mouth! 🤣

I appreciate hearing that. More sausages to come over the next several weeks (months?)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back