Caribou Gear

Sausage making for a total beginner

CG-914

Total Sausage Making Newbie.

Wanna make my first batch with my first buck ever. While processing the meat I ground the scrap pile down already. I have a Kitchen Aid that I'll be using for grind and stuffing. I know it will require an upgrade one day.

Ok I have several questions:
- What casing is everybody using. I see on here that many prefer hog but some sheep what is the difference
- Do I need to use a curing agent (When using a casing)? And if so which one?
- When braking it down into links I spin each link in the opposite direction and do I need to wait before cutting the casing at the brakes so the filling doesn't come out?

I want to run a breakfast batch in casings with the Hi-Country Mix and Hatch Chilies with 2:1 of Deer and Pork Fatback.

TIA

Don't cut until after it's smoked unless your going to actually tie it off or use a hog ring. You don't need a caring agent for breakfast sausage since your going to be cooking it

My opinion: hicountry seasoning is top notch but small casings are hard without a stuffer(assume you want small links). I would just make patties first batch or stuff in larger hog casings to experiment with taste. If you have a interest in brats or something simular buy the hicountry or lem kits for sauages, they will teach you basics and provide everything you need. Real easy and good is a brat or polish sauage kit just simply smoked whole (not linked) cut to length for serving size.

I have a Kitchen Aid that I'll be using for grind and stuffing.
Please don’t, it is an exercise in futility. You cannot effectively stuff casings with that set up. It will be a complete and utter waste of time and money.

Get a cheap stuffer. You need consistent feed and pressure to stuff without air pockets.

Don't cut until after it's smoked unless your going to actually tie it off or use a hog ring. You don't need a caring agent for breakfast sausage since your going to be cooking it
Thank you! So I only need a curing when smoking? What sausages need to be smoked?
My opinion: hicountry seasoning is top notch but small casings are hard without a stuffer(assume you want small links). I would just make patties first batch or stuff in larger hog casings to experiment with taste. If you have a interest in brats or something simular buy the hicountry or lem kits for sauages, they will teach you basics and provide everything you need. Real easy and good is a brat or polish sauage kit just simply smoked whole (not linked) cut to length for serving size.
Actually was planning on making big links the size of brats with the breakfast sausage. But I guess I can try both.

If your smoking something your not going to be cooking again like snack sticks or summer sausage. If you look onto ps seasonings you can order pre measured seasoning and it comes with pre measured cure. So it takes one step out that you can mess up. You could buy a stuffer pretty cheap for small batches. I would stick with collagen casings at first also takes another step out for you to learn with.

We had our sausage day yesterday. 225lbs of finished product. The cure (pink salt) also helps to maintain the color. without cure the meat will turn grey. Still fine to eat but not as visually appealing.

Please don’t, it is an exercise in futility. You cannot effectively stuff casings with that set up. It will be a complete and utter waste of time and money.

Get a cheap stuffer. You need consistent feed and pressure to stuff without air pockets.
Thanks, would have not guessed since the grinder works great. Any recommendations for a cheap stuffer. Like to stay under 80 definitely 100!

If your smoking something your not going to be cooking again like snack sticks or summer sausage. If you look onto ps seasonings you can order pre measured seasoning and it comes with pre measured cure. So it takes one step out that you can mess up. You could buy a stuffer pretty cheap for small batches. I would stick with collagen casings at first also takes another step out for you to learn with.
Any recommendations on Collagen Casings, a lot of products have reviews with people complaining that they burst cooking badly.

Making elk jalapeños Cheddar Snack Sticks this weekend.

You need to follow the recipes for casing and cures. There are hundreds of different recipes I would think. Hank Shaw’s got a few good ones. My family especially likes his Landjagers.

I have a 1 horse power grinder, 5 pound stuffer and a smoker. You’ll eventually want to upgrade your gear.

Attachments

• B7228357-52FD-4CD8-B1CF-BA45970E5546.jpeg
    B7228357-52FD-4CD8-B1CF-BA45970E5546.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
Thanks, would have not guessed since the grinder works great. Any recommendations for a cheap stuffer. Like to stay under 80 definitely 100!
Fb market place, eBay, Craigslist

Be careful for bratwurst size collagen casings. Yes they are easy, but they leave a lot to be desired in a final product. Snack stick use them and that helps with the Snap you get when you bite in.

A snap is not the best when you have a big sausage, natural casings are the way to go. Plus when you cook it natural casings turn out so much better if you are using a pan verses a grill.

Thanks, would have not guessed since the grinder works great.
No it doesn’t you just don’t know any better yet. Get a real grinder and you will see how bad the kitchen aid sucks. There are several threads on here about it.

Use what you have for now to grind with, it will get you by, but plan on buying a decent grinder if you are going to be doing any amount of this.

Any recommendations on Collagen Casings, a lot of products have reviews with people complaining that they burst cooking badly.
That is probably more to do with how they fill them than the casing itself. It takes practice to figure out how tight the casings need to be packed. You can control the pressure as the meat comes out of the stuffer if you pack it to loose you’ll have air pockets if you pack it to tight you’ll get blowouts. I support the filled side of the casing with my left hand and hold my right hand on the stuffer tube allowing the casing to slide through my fingers. It helps to have a second person to crank the stuffer or to be able to shut off the grinder if you are stuffing through the grinder.

With any recipe for the first time I’d recommend mixing up a small batch and frying a small patty and adjust the mixture accordingly. Even if you use a commercial kit you will want to have some bulk seasonings on hand to adjust to your taste buds.

The best way to make sausage is to have a few drinks, start throwing ingredients in and not writing anything down so the next time you are left trying to remember what you added into the mixture! 😂

Seasonings will vary depending on the type of sausage and your personal taste. I get some from sausagemaker.com and I also use some of the Cabelas blend. I adjust the amount used to suit our tastes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back