Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

sausage fest 2023!

We just had a chat about sausage fest over the weekend. It looks like we will be making about 200lbs of ring bologna, summer sausage, and hot sticks in March. That is how much we made last year as well. All of the spices and seasonings are on order. We are currently watching the grocery store fliers for cheap pork to mix with. 10 years ago when we started we could find pork butts for .69/lb, now we are hoping to get them for $1.69/lb.
Still a deal todays prices when you look at the cost per lb of sausages at the store.
plus you know what in them.

We skin and debone deer for people in the fall. One guy brought us his deer this year and he was saying last year he paid over $800 for one deer to be made in sausage. absolutely crazy.
That's just stupid.

Do you guys use 30-40% pork fat in your Brats? Talked to the lady outside of three forks that owns the meat processing store and she said that was the key to getting the texture right. Tried it out and they turned out great. I like their “blue ribbon” seasoning. Just a nice classic brat flavor.

Do you guys use 30-40% pork fat in your Brats? Talked to the lady outside of three forks that owns the meat processing store and she said that was the key to getting the texture right. Tried it out and they turned out great. I like their “blue ribbon” seasoning. Just a nice classic brat flavor.
That is what i aim for is 30%. I know some people that do 33% deer, Beef, and pork. But i try to shoot for 70/30 on mine. Not too greasy but just enough to not make it dry.

You must have some buddies to help you and a nice big garage to do it in because when I have to summon my wife to help me in our small kitchen it is far from "tons of fun." 😂
I can totally relate to that, my wife hates this time of year, we bought our current house last year and there is a small kitchen in the basement. Wife was ecstatic that I can stay out of her kitchen. Upon further review the SOB that owned the house before ran the kitchen sink to the sump pump not the ejector pit. I mean who the F does that. Needless to say she's less than thrilled until I reroute the plumbing down there. Should of just dug deep and built a house I guess fixing someone else's jack jobs is getting old.

You must have some buddies to help you and a nice big garage to do it in because when I have to summon my wife to help me in our small kitchen it is far from "tons of fun." 😂
Two teenage boys who are pretty good help. I must confess, wives generally complicate the process…… may partly be why I don’t have that issue😁

That is what i aim for is 30%. I know some people that do 33% deer, Beef, and pork. But i try to shoot for 70/30 on mine. Not too greasy but just enough to not make it dry.
I Shoot for 20-25. I just don’t like all the grease. Personal preference I suppose.
I just did a batch with her Mango-habanero brat seasoning and added dried mangos to it…….out of this world!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back