sausage fest 2023!

Jamen

This time of year is when we normally do our deer sausage making. This year we did 500lbs. I enjoy doing it and spending time with family. Gets to be alot of work but worth it in the end. I told myself i was going to take more pictures but i got to preoccupied and forgot. We did 225lbs of brats, 225lbs of pepper sticks and a little over 50lbs of breakfast bulk sausage. After all the sampling over the weekend i need a few weeks off before i try and eat it haha. The one downfall is we all like to try new things and each batch was a different flavor so sorting all that out and keeping it straight in the smoker took time. Does anyone else make this a yearly event with friends and family? Seems life these days is busier and busier each year. I am glad we still do this!

Attachments

• Snapchat-908992016.jpg
    Snapchat-908992016.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
This time of year is when we normally do our deer sausage making. This year we did 500lbs. I enjoy doing it and spending time with family. Gets to be alot of work but worth it in the end. I told myself i was going to take more pictures but i got to preoccupied and forgot. We did 225lbs of brats, 225lbs of pepper sticks and a little over 50lbs of breakfast bulk sausage. After all the sampling over the weekend i need a few weeks off before i try and eat it haha. The one downfall is we all like to try new things and each batch was a different flavor so sorting all that out and keeping it straight in the smoker took time. Does anyone else make this a yearly event with friends and family? Seems life these days is busier and busier each year. I am glad we still do this
We just had a chat about sausage fest over the weekend. It looks like we will be making about 200lbs of ring bologna, summer sausage, and hot sticks in March. That is how much we made last year as well. All of the spices and seasonings are on order. We are currently watching the grocery store fliers for cheap pork to mix with. 10 years ago when we started we could find pork butts for .69/lb, now we are hoping to get them for $1.69/lb.

This time of year is when we normally do our deer sausage making. This year we did 500lbs. I enjoy doing it and spending time with family. Gets to be alot of work but worth it in the end. I told myself i was going to take more pictures but i got to preoccupied and forgot. We did 225lbs of brats, 225lbs of pepper sticks and a little over 50lbs of breakfast bulk sausage. After all the sampling over the weekend i need a few weeks off before i try and eat it haha. The one downfall is we all like to try new things and each batch was a different flavor so sorting all that out and keeping it straight in the smoker took time. Does anyone else make this a yearly event with friends and family? Seems life these days is busier and busier each year. I am glad we still do this!
Yeah, I make 50lbs of brats a year, 2 different kinds, 25lbs of venison bacon, 25lbs of snak sticks, 25 pounds of jerky, 100 pounds of burger, 25 lbs of bulk breakfast sausage.

Every other year summer sausage and I usually corn about 25 pounds as well.

Wish I had some help, but fly solo.

Yeah, I make 50lbs of brats a year, 2 different kinds, 25lbs of venison bacon, 25lbs of snak sticks, 25 pounds of jerky, 100 pounds of burger, 25 lbs of bulk breakfast sausage.

Every other year summer sausage and I usually corn about 25 pounds as well.

Wish I had some help, but fly solo.
if you lived closer i would definitely lend a hand!

We do the same thing, dad, brother and maybe a buddy or two. It is a ton of work but worth it. Also, makes much better use of our wild game. I find brats, Italian/breakfast sausage, venison bacon, etc. gets chowed a lot faster than staring at 200lbs of burger every time you open your freezer.

Got about 50 lbs of sausage to do this year (all snack sticks this year) and another 20 ish lbs of jerky. I'm about 1/3 of the way there so far. Usually break it up over several weekends in February. Use to be like 4 or 5 of us who would get together in one weekend but nobody's schedule seems to like up these days so like buzz said going it solo. I don't mind but it sure is more efficient when you've got some help that knows the drill and get an assembly line going.

I just looked at the owens bbq seasoning page and I’m left wondering Am I the only that likes brat flavored brats? A little cheese or peppers that aren’t over powering are wonderful and enhance the flavor, but if I want a taco, I’ll eat a taco not a brat…rant over.
Yah we don't do any venison brats since the kids raise a few pigs but the processor has taco, apple, gyro, tex mex and more we just do garlic onion and beer brats. I will on occasion buy one pack of the wild cards just for something different but I can't imagine doing them in bulk.

I just looked at the owens bbq seasoning page and I’m left wondering Am I the only that likes brat flavored brats? A little cheese or peppers that aren’t over powering are wonderful and enhance the flavor, but if I want a taco, I’ll eat a taco not a brat…rant over.
I normally do a few simple brats and may try one random one to see what it's like. I do agree there is way too many different flavors out there.

500lbs?!?! How many people helping? Thanks for the reminder than I need to make some brats and snack sticks

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back