Sausage making for a total beginner

Several years back a buddy of mine wanted me to make sausage for him since he was a nooby and was his first deer. I said yes, i didnt want to drag the big grinder and stuffer out so i thought i would use my kitchen aid mixer "6qt professional" model. Seemed to work ok, my mistake was i didnt give it time to cool down. It got way too hot and i fried the motor. $200 later i had them replace it with the commercial motor. That being said i never used it again for that amount of meat. I know i have read others have never had an issue but this was my experience.

The constant pressure a stuffer provides is what you will want. You wont end up with air pockets. If you have any friends that process thier own meat ask and see if they would borrow you theirs til you find one. Over the course of several years i finally built up a nice inventory of processing equipment. Each year or two adding something else, that way it isnt such a giant sticker shock.

Best of luck!

Get a stuffer and if you are going to freeze or cook right after making them, no curing salt is necessary. If you are going to smoke them or let them hang for a few days in a cool environment, I would add the curing salt.

IMG_7464.jpg
Alright, I got a proper Stuffer by LEM and went with hog casings after reading the detailed article by Henk Shaw. Now I'm just waiting on the seasoning mix by High Country. Supposed to arrive on Saturday.

Reading Henk Shaws article his pork % differs from most recipes and he makes a a distinction between fatty pork shoulder and Pork fat. What is everybody's recommendation. Also keeping in mind I love wild game but I'm still trying to convince my wife....

When started up without good equipment I did bulk sausage. Rather than try and stuff it in casings. I started with my great grandmothers hand crank grinder. I put the bulk sausage in 1lb bags and vac’d it.
The first thing I bought was a good grinder. That was a game changer. I could then grind quickly and also stuff into meat bags. I bought the bag taper from LEM same as the grinder.
I made bulk Chorizo , Two kinds of Italian and breakfast.
Later on I bought a small 5 lb stuffer then later on a 15lb.
If you invest in a grinder dont think of it as just for game processing. You can grind beef or pork and make great inexpensive sausage out of that.

I finally got a good grinder and the #12 3/4 LEM has a stuffer attachment but I have not used it yet.
Thinking of doing elk burger and sausage soon, waiting for replacement food sealer.
But I like bulk usually so I might pass on getting casings. Maybe next year with the smoker now.

I'm going to grind up a bunch of the hog I got last year into sausage, before I smoke all the shoulder slabs.

Check L.E.M. for sales. Good stuff and good people.

I used to use hog casing but couldn't find any for my hog so made patty type sausage, makes good hamburgers! Got some seasoning and directions said to cut meay into chunks, I did small chunks. Add the seasoning and 1/3 cup water and mix by hand about two minutes. Then run through grinder with large blade one time then regrind with the small blade. Don't have a large blade so did the small blade two times. Stuff came out great! I doubt I'll ever stuff casing again.

Helped a butcher at the landloards in Germaany years ago and for casing he simply washed out the casing he took out of the pig and used it. Little to gross for me! They make some kind of fake s**t casing that's not real and seem's I tried it years ago. Didn't like it at all.

With the sausage ground, I use it ust like hamburger but it taste's a lot better with that seasoning in it. Can't remember the name of the place I got it, somewhere in the south east! It's called Pork Sausage Seasoning, Blend 10, good stuff.

I used to use hog casing but couldn't find any for my hog so made patty type sausage, makes good hamburgers! Got some seasoning and directions said to cut meay into chunks, I did small chunks. Add the seasoning and 1/3 cup water and mix by hand about two minutes. Then run through grinder with large blade one time then regrind with the small blade. Don't have a large blade so did the small blade two times. Stuff came out great! I doubt I'll ever stuff casing again.

Helped a butcher at the landloards in Germaany years ago and for casing he simply washed out the casing he took out of the pig and used it. Little to gross for me! They make some kind of fake s**t casing that's not real and seem's I tried it years ago. Didn't like it at all.

With the sausage ground, I use it ust like hamburger but it taste's a lot better with that seasoning in it. Can't remember the name of the place I got it, somewhere in the south east! It's called Pork Sausage Seasoning, Blend 10, good stuff.
Maybe A.C. Legg ? I think it made in AL.

I've been doing this for a while now but still learning myself. Some good resources available online, Youtube specifically. Hank Shaw is the man for wild game. I also like Chuds BBQ and Bearded Butchers on Youtube.
What I've learned from experience is:
  • cure, like pink salt only necessary if you are smoking or other slow cook methods.
  • I prefer working with hog casings but... many varieties are as good or better in bulk
  • use quality fat
  • if stuffing, drying is an important step.
  • Stuffing sausages using a grinder is very frustrating.

Cold smoking the Landjagers and hanging with humidifier until they lose 30% weight. I’ll check on them this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_9565.jpeg
    IMG_9565.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9560.jpeg
    IMG_9560.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 70243568132__1184F977-0301-4B22-A49D-99A07322AD1D.jpeg
    70243568132__1184F977-0301-4B22-A49D-99A07322AD1D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Yea I think that is them!
Just did 20# of AC Legg #10 pork sausage a few weeks ago with some boston butts. I tossed in a heavy tablespoon of sage age a teaspoon of thyme and it turned out pretty damn close to perfect!

I'll echo packing into bulk tubes and using a taper is the way to go for bulk sausage.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back