Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Snakes in Tents?

When I'm hunting out of state, I always wonder if a pissed off resident (kind of understood) will see me camping and then throw a rattler in my dome tent during the day when I'm out hunting. Probably being a little paranoid but still, I kick and shake my tent a bit when I come back at the end of the day!!!!!

I haven't had one in my tent, but I did have one across my trekking poles outside my tent 5-6 years ago. Woke up, got dressed, walked out to brush my teeth and BAM...there he was. It was chilly and he wasn't going anywhere fast. I watched him in my headlamp as I brushed my teeth and he headed on about his way.

On a September archery hunt a friend backpacked in with me. Elected to not bring a tent and just a bivy sack. It proceeded to snow so he built a lean to and slept under that. We had a fire since it was chilly in the evening and he took a couple of the hot rocks and put them in his lean to. Middle of the night he can hear something big coming straight to his tent.....thump, thump, thump.... and he woke up and was grabbing for something to defend himself with...it came into his lean to with him and he could then see it was the friendly camp bunny that hung out in the area all the time. He screamed like a little girl when he heard it coming and I won't ever let him forget it!

It likely wouldn't help with snakes but after I set up my tent (Alaskan Guide) I sprinkle Sevin Dust around the entire perimeter as a hopeful line of defense against crawling insects. I'm not sure of it's effectiveness but it provides a little peace of mind.
Sevin has to be ingested to affect insects. Crawling over it won’t kill them.

No snakes thank goodness. Was bitten by a brown recluse in Tennessee at around 3am once when I was a tent dweller for many years. I also remember one time at deer camp when I was young we finished the last hand of poker wear we would bet our hunting snacks slim Jim's, snickers, and the such and all crawled into bed. About 3 minutes later my dad's good buddy started yelling and trying to unzip his sleeping bag. Upon a thorough investigation there was 6 wasps in his sleeping bag that must of came out alive with the woodstove. Man we still laugh hard about that.

Snakes in tents? Sounds like a job opening for my ex. Dad always said people at the circus would pay good money to see someone wearing too much makeup drive a car with a mattress tied to her back.

I did some biology work in my undergraduate where we would go out and count spiders at night as part of this experiment. I learned that spider eyes are real noticeable with a headlamp, because every little sparkle you see in the duff is a spider, and every really sparkly one has a ton of babies on its back. That cured me of ever sleeping in a floorless tent.

It's been like 10 years, but I still have these oddly lucid dreams where I wake up and I think I'm laying in the bosque and there's spiders everywhere. I'm not afraid, but I've whacked a few 'spiders' off my girlfriend who hasn't found it to be as sweet of a gesture as I think it is

I did some biology work in my undergraduate where we would go out and count spiders at night as part of this experiment. I learned that spider eyes are real noticeable with a headlamp, because every little sparkle you see in the duff is a spider, and every really sparkly one has a ton of babies on its back. That cured me of ever sleeping in a floorless tent.

It's been like 10 years, but I still have these oddly lucid dreams where I wake up and I think I'm laying in the bosque and there's spiders everywhere. I'm not afraid, but I've whacked a few 'spiders' off my girlfriend who hasn't found it to be as sweet of a gesture as I think it is
I lived in a house that had a dusk to dawn flood light over the garage and at night you could shine your headlamp in the driveway in front of garage and see a dozen pairs of spider eyes looking back at you. Most of them were silver dollar size.

When I'm hunting out of state, I always wonder if a pissed off resident (kind of understood) will see me camping and then throw a rattler in my dome tent during the day when I'm out hunting. Probably being a little paranoid but still, I kick and shake my tent a bit when I come back at the end of the day!!!!!

Sounds like you're from CA too!

I see all of those lovely "water droplets" at night on every camping trip in the Lowcountry. Still sleep in floorless tents, but only in what passes for winter here. :)
tent.jpg

I lived in a house that had a dusk to dawn flood light over the garage and at night you could shine your headlamp in the driveway in front of garage and see a dozen pairs of spider eyes looking back at you. Most of them were silver dollar size.
I'm assuming that is why you moved.

The floorless thing isn't worth it for me. Not too worried about snakes, but I don't like spiders. I actually prefer a hammock with a bug net. I find it more comfortable, and it has the added benefit of being completely off the ground. Other times I will go with the tent. Just depends.

Last summer I was camping up a local canyon for a quick overnighter. Woke up at like 2:30 AM and couldn't get back to sleep, so I decided to just hike out. I was shocked at all of the spider eyes reflected back at me on the way out. Way more than I ever expected. Not cool, Mother Nature. Not cool.

I'll keep my floor, thank you, and gladly pay the added pound or two of weight penalty.

The wife and I were sleeping in a dome with a floor next to a lake. When we rolled it up we found two water snakes mid reproduction. We had a discussion about whether or not to let them finish before rolling it the rest of the way.

Back