Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Small/mid-size trucks, best all around

I'm curious why you're considering the Maverick and Escape, but not the Bronco Sport, when they're all on the same platform?

I haven't yet driven the Maverick so can't speak to that but would much prefer the BS to the Escape. The height of the BS seating area and the rear cargo area makes it seem more spacious to me than the Escape.

They're also much more off-road capable than the Escape (especially in Badlands trim) but that may not be a driving factor for you.

I've spoken to people that have Mavericks and love them, I've just not gotten to drive one yet.

I guess the good news is that there are lots of solid choices to choose from across many brands👍🏻
Two reasons, typo (explorer, not escape) and driver space.

When I drove the bronco sport I really wanted to love it. But at 6'2", and sitting somewhat close to the steering wheel like I prefer (and to give back seats the most room), I felt like my knees were cramped side to side the whole time. And even with the seat all the way lowered I felt like the rear view mirror was blocking my view constantly.

Last edited:
The following are officially off the list due to being either too small for me or too small for the kids after looking/driving in person.
  • Frontier
  • Bronco sport
  • Tacoma
  • Ranger
Wife is also now looking at getting a mid-size SUV and just having me use the F150 regularly. Thinking honda pilot or ford explorer.

and if anyone wonders why so many western outdoorsy insta chicks drive tacomas...

just about the only type of human that comfortably fits in one.

279623683_4751480264960375_3554590914873932076_n.jpg

Street Legal and under $10k!

I really have been looking at these pretty hard. Just not sure how off road capable they are. Some of them are easy to put a 4" lift and ATV tires on. Some have rear locking differentials.

I think this one has AC and 4X4 and is $7,800.

I really have been looking at these pretty hard. Just not sure how off road capable they are. Some of them are easy to put a 4" lift and ATV tires on. Some have rear locking differentials.

custom topper that maintains cab roof height: $9,000

Blows my mind that a van that weighs more than a Taco gets that kind of MPG.

Yep.

Been driving my BILs Taco for the last 10 days... 😬... feels like your climbing in a super cub, and I drive a corolla 🤦‍♂️. Gas mileage also blows for such a small vehicle, big off road tires + camper I think it's like 12/15mpg.

Also getting groceries sucks in a truck sorry fools. You put a dog and and a car seat in that thing and it's almost full... you can't put grocery bags in the bed. Any sedan has 5X the amount of usable space for your typical domestic uses.

Thing is amazing on trails... but we were able to get their sub to all of the camping spots we've gone to so far.

Anyway. My next vehicle with family and utility in mind will be a Sienna... 36 mpg/18g tank, AWD, full captains chairs for the passengers, and even the rear seats recline.

Not a ton of places you can take a Taco that you can't drive this... MSRP on a LE is 36k FYI.

View attachment 230372
Good luck with that thing on a late season cow elk hunt in Wyoming.

Bring a shovel, or three.

i've been thinking about this lately because i've been landscaping my entire backyard starting from nothing but an empty, fenceless, dirt pit.

how freaking nice it's been to have a full size truck that can take more than 1500 lbs of something in the bed. what's a tacoma max bedload? like 500?

sure you can have stuff delivered, but oh darn that 5 tons of delivered rock was just barely not enough and instead of paying another 85 dollar delivery fee for a maybe a half yard to a yard more of rock i just go to the landscape center and have them dump it in and it costs 30 dollars.

full size trucks are hugely beneficial and helpful..... for 3% of their existence.

my truck can basically go anywhere a tacoma can, gets the same gas mileage, has dramatically more interior room and a tacoma can't do shit for landscaping. i'm just now realizing this for some reason. tacomas lose, again.

Last edited:
Relax, they have adult dodgeball leagues these days. There's still a chance you'll get picked.
I'd drive a hot pink bug into the hills if that was the only vehicle at my disposal... I'm not the dude getting sand in his nickers about not driving a truck.

Does X provide the best solution to my problem. Only thing I care about.

I'd drive a hot pink bug into the hills if that was the only vehicle at my disposal... I'm not the dude getting sand in his nickers about not driving a truck.

Does X provide the best solution to my problem. Only thing I care about.
You find out very quickly in these discussions who is not secure with their manliness.

Seriously going to give these are hard look once I pawn off the current fleet on the kids.

I'll rent a truck for the 3 days every 10 years that situation arises ;)
Make sure to bring tires for that rental, and a shovel or three.

I hunt cow elk at least 2 days a year to fill both my additional tags, usually another 4-5 helping buddies. Usually another few days filling my general or type 1 tag.

Your grocery getter wouldn't work for me.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back