Small/mid-size trucks, best all around

titan pro4x's are really quite the truck.

at least the pre 2016 ones. far more affordable than other full size trucks, and they are absolute off road beasts. they're basically like a full size tacoma in offroad capability IMO.

but that's it, they're basic, lag in towing capacity, and aren't fancy at all. but they are reliable off road beasts with more power and room than a tacoma. if you're not a huge toy hauler and want to be able to get to basically any trailhead on the map while having 4 doors and a bed they're the perfect truck IMO.

i don't think it's what OP is looking for though... maybe?

i'd look at the new frontiers personally. quite the aesthetic upgrade they've made. for me 4x4 is what i want, if you don't want it, really any midsize truck will fit the bill IMO.

i'm really hoping that frontiers and tacomas get a hybrid option.

Last edited:
I have a Colorado ZR2 and love it. Yes, it’s the hopped up version. However, I’ve known others with base levels and they love them.

A huge selling point for me was room. I’m a tall big guy and don’t come close to the roof. Gas mileage is okay. Plenty of power. Three kids “fit” on back, but definitely not spacious.

The new Rangers seem great. I don’t like the look, but that’s all opinion. While the Maverick is tiny and hideous.

One of my closest buddies is a Taco Tuesday guy. He had one for nearly 20 years and loved it. He just got the newest model. He loves everything about it, but it’s a dog. They always have been super reliable, but no go go juice. They’re not great on gas either, and super cheaply trimmed. My head hits the ceiling.

I’ve always hunted for the “perfect truck” and have never found one. I’ve owned multiple Chevys, Fords, and a Nissan trucks. I’m crazy about maintenance and care. The only small mechanical issues I’ve had is with Ford; seized spark plugs that the model was notorious for, and a thermostat. Isn’t it crazy how far reliability has come?

On that note, the only trucks in my circle that have had MAJOR issues are MOPAR. Rams blowing trannies, and Jeeps being jeeps. They’re cool as hell, but my Aunt’s blown motor all over 90 raised a red flag. It was newly bought from Dave Smith, and they took it right back.

I bought the Ranger, though the new Frontier was intriguing. I think the Maverick, if it fits your needs, is the best value out there right now.

I know I'm inciting a mob here, but you couldn't give me a Tacoma. I'd take a Canyon any day before a Taco. They are outdated, uncomfortable, and overpriced IMO.

View attachment 229622
Drum rear brakes are outdated?

I bought the Ranger, though the new Frontier was intriguing. I think the Maverick, if it fits your needs, is the best value out there right now.

I know I'm inciting a mob here, but you couldn't give me a Tacoma. I'd take a Canyon any day before a Taco. They are outdated, uncomfortable, and overpriced IMO.

View attachment 229622
If I could find a Maverick anywhere close to MSRP I'd probably be all over that. But the asking prices for the "used" ones are +/- $10K above and that is nuts.

Well you've placed too many restrictions to identify the "best" IMO. Best to me means the best durability, longevity, reliability, which equals Toyota.

i gotta agree, except on one point.

comfort. maybe it's cause i'm tall, but in the mid size realm of tacomas, there is no such thing as comfort trying to ride in one of those, especially as a passenger.

not much fits in the back seats of those either other than maybe babies.

i gotta agree, except on one point.

comfort. maybe it's cause i'm tall, but in the mid size realm of tacomas, there is no such thing as comfort trying to ride in one of those, especially as a passenger.

not much fits in the back seats of those either other than maybe babies.
They are horribly uncomfortable. No argument from me on that. But they just don't fail. I've been in so many other trucks that just flat out failed, water pump, cpu, throttle, tranny, thrown rods and holes through the FUGGIN' engine head...

If it were me, I'd look at Frontiers and Taco's. I've had both and currently drive an 18 taco. If I were in the market for a new mid size, the taco would get traded on a Frontier. That said, when the time comes, I'll mostly likely go with a Titan Pro4X.

I had a Titan (caveats: second owner, it had 150K) and it was such a disaster that I don't think I could ever own another Nissan pickup. Fuel pump, many electrical quirks, radiator failure that led to a burnt motor.

Imagine with me for a moment...what if "the truck" peaked with the 00-06 Tundras...

I’m a bit biased, but…
61D58391-1717-4B97-B3A1-2903CB6A7C1F.jpeg

I’ve had 4 cylinder 90’s Ford Ranger, then full size V8 Silverados and more recently Toyota 4Runner. My general take is that the smaller trucks I’ve had are capable, but severely underpowered, especially for the gas mileage they get. If I hadn’t gone EV (where power is on par with most supercars), I would have gone back to a full sized pickup.

Need to bring these bad boys back. Almost bought one as my first car.

View attachment 229707

A wannabe Chevelle! They would make an epic mountain biking rig. They used to be worth nothing when Chevelles were more common… We all should have picked up some 69 SS’s and started some sort of hunting club. There used to be a jacked up 4x4 in Anaconda…

Last edited:
I’m a bit biased, but…
View attachment 229713

I’ve had 4 cylinder 90’s Ford Ranger, then full size V8 Silverados and more recently Toyota 4Runner. My general take is that the smaller trucks I’ve had are capable, but severely underpowered, especially for the gas mileage they get. If I hadn’t gone EV (where power is on par with most supercars), I would have gone back to a full sized pickup.

What do you think of the Rivian? They’re popping up all over Spokane. There’s a YouTube video of one dusting a Raptor and hanging with a TRX… while pulling a trailer with a rig on it…

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back