Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Small/mid-size trucks, best all around

I've got an 06 taco as my personal truck and a 22 ranger as my work truck, the taco has 320K miles on it, it's as close to indestructible as a truck can get it I think, I wouldn't seriously consider the others for what I do with my personal truck, far better offroad and a more comfortable cab...

That said if you are mostly driving on pavement I'd seriously consider the Ranger, the one I have is the XL trim so super basic, pretty cheap as trucks go, and you can actually find one, which is touch with tacos...
It drives really well on the highway, good power, super quiet, pretty big bed for a compact truck, for sure easier on road trips than the taco, pretty bad offroad though, for a brand new truck it kinda surprised me, to the point that if I was going to take it on a hunting trip I'd seriously consider upgrading the suspension...

It drives really well on the highway, good power, super quiet, pretty big bed for a compact truck, for sure easier on road trips than the taco, pretty bad offroad though, for a brand new truck it kinda surprised me, to the point that if I was going to take it on a hunting trip I'd seriously consider upgrading the suspension...
Really debating on getting the new Ranger coming out later this year. I have a Ram 1500 and hardly need the capability a full size has.

Would definitely recommend at least the FX4 package if you are doing much off roading. Those seriously going off the trail should either go with the Tremor or wait and hope the US gets a Ranger Raptor

If I could find a Maverick anywhere close to MSRP I'd probably be all over that. But the asking prices for the "used" ones are +/- $10K above and that is nuts.
Too bad this one isn't AWD. I saw it sitting on their lot just yesterday.

I've got an 06 taco as my personal truck and a 22 ranger as my work truck, the taco has 320K miles on it, it's as close to indestructible as a truck can get it I think, I wouldn't seriously consider the others for what I do with my personal truck, far better offroad and a more comfortable cab...

That said if you are mostly driving on pavement I'd seriously consider the Ranger, the one I have is the XL trim so super basic, pretty cheap as trucks go, and you can actually find one, which is touch with tacos...

The model of each of these trucks makes a HUGE difference. The question really needs to be around who each person is and how they use their truck.

I have zero experience with the new Ranger, but when you refer to the “far better off-road and more comfortable” that just isn’t true. My Colorado ZR2 is vastly more spacious and has better seats than my buddies brand new decked out Tacoma. I’m 6’5” and I need to slouch or bend my neck to fit. It also beats his Tacoma off-road. When we off-road he can’t climb nearly what I can. He admits his Taco is underpowered. He loves it though. The rarity of Tacoma’s is a myth also. Just look around, and you’ll recognize the “sale strategy” in action.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind Tacos, but they’re overrated. They’re ultra reliable and pretty good off-road, but the only one that’s really good is the TRD Pro.

I use my truck for daily driving, off-roading and pulling smaller trailers. I love the power, sports car like driving, spacious interior, ridiculous suspension, and the ability to lock everything up and climb a wall. I recognize it fits me well. 6A2D3FAD-C035-4C0B-B399-6E5C31658FDB.jpeg

Anyone have any thoughts on the new Bronco Sports?
My cousin bought one, but I can't convince him to take it off the pavement.

They are essentially a light duty offroad escape, using many of the same components. A lot of the bad things you see about them online is guys trying to do "jeep things" in them. They are unibody and not designed for extreme terrain

I can’t believe that 36k limits you to those choices now days. 4 years ago I bought a brand new Ram 2500 diesel off the lot for 40k. I doubt that would hardly buy me a Japanese mini truck today. It’s insanity all the more vehicle you can get for your money now. I understand it’s that way with everything, just a rant!

I can’t believe that 36k limits you to those choices now days. 4 years ago I bought a brand new Ram 2500 diesel off the lot for 40k. I doubt that would hardly buy me a Japanese mini truck today. It’s insanity all the more vehicle you can get for your money now. I understand it’s that way with everything, just a rant!
I sold my 2019 4Runner back to the dealer I bought it from earlier this week. Sticker on the truck was $43,500. I paid $40,500. It had 34,000 miles and they gave me $40,000 for it. And they now have it listed for sale at $46,000. Crazy times.
4B763BAD-A90F-4576-8414-9DA104B1B492.jpeg

I sold my 2019 4Runner back to the dealer I bought it from earlier this week. Sticker on the truck was $43,500. I paid $40,500. It had 34,000 miles and they gave me $40,000 for it. And they now have it listed for sale at $46,000. Crazy times.
View attachment 230031
I can believe it. The dealership called me back and offered me 42,500 for my truck with 38k miles it. Problem is that it would cost me 70k to replace it with the exact same thing now.

The following are officially off the list due to being either too small for me or too small for the kids after looking/driving in person.
  • Frontier
  • Bronco sport
  • Tacoma
  • Ranger
Wife is also now looking at getting a mid-size SUV and just having me use the F150 regularly. Thinking honda pilot or ford explorer.

Last edited:
Anyone have any thoughts on the new Bronco Sports?
My two primary vehicles are Ranger and Bronco Sport. I put the Ford Performance lift on the Ranger and got a Badlands Bronco Sport and then upgraded the wheels and tires. I also have an Escape that I bought for the office girls to run around in. I'm happy to answer any questions you have on those models.

The following are officially off the list due to being either too small for me or too small for the kids after looking/driving in person.
  • Frontier
  • Bronco sport
  • Tacoma
  • Ranger
Wife is also now looking at getting a mid-size SUV and just having me use the F150 regularly. Thinking honda pilot or ford escape.
I’ve been a ford truck guy my whole life and from what I hear the xlt maverick is the best bang for your buck smaller truck right now. Although I’d imagine you might find it a bit small.

I’ve been a ford truck guy my whole life and from what I hear the xlt maverick is the best bang for your buck smaller truck right now. Although I’d imagine you might find it a bit small.
I drove one and actually found it reasonable. Felt more comfortable than the others believe it or not.

I drove one and actually found it reasonable. Felt more comfortable than the others believe it or not.
I'm curious why you're considering the Maverick and Escape, but not the Bronco Sport, when they're all on the same platform?

I haven't yet driven the Maverick so can't speak to that but would much prefer the BS to the Escape. The height of the BS seating area and the rear cargo area makes it seem more spacious to me than the Escape.

They're also much more off-road capable than the Escape (especially in Badlands trim) but that may not be a driving factor for you.

I've spoken to people that have Mavericks and love them, I've just not gotten to drive one yet.

I guess the good news is that there are lots of solid choices to choose from across many brands👍🏻

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back