Small/mid-size trucks, best all around

~14% of American's live in rural areas yet the F-150 is the highest selling vehicle, nationwide... the runners up are also pickups. Which means that folks in urban areas are buying more F-150s than any other vehicle.

Depublicize, Deglorify, Demonetize... pickups
I will drive a gas guzzling American V8 powered pickup until the day I die. mtmuley

Like I said tools for the job, some day if the calculus shifts I'd buy a truck, I'm not anti-truck... but ~90% of truck owners could drive a sedan and have no net changes to their lives.

Trucks like a lot of other things in our culture are just a product of marketing being shoved in our face 24/7, marketing which puts folks in debt and leaves with short on retirement savings. That sienna I posted gets 36 mpg... with bigger tires + 2 in spacers lets say 30... that clearance is pretty close to tahoe/4runner/ etc. You like are saving ~$5000-$10,000 at least on msrp and if you drive it for say 250k miles probably $15,000 in gas.

For the record, I lived in rural western slope CO and in MT and have done all kinds of stuff in the woods all year long and never gotten stuck or needed to dig out. Definitely hiked up a few roads a couple more miles than guys with trucks did... but never more than like 1 or 2.

Maybe if I draw a gen elk tag, you can show me the necessity of a truck in WY ;)
And chains, and truck claws, and how to use a shovel.

Also how to get elk killed.

I just have a question, my buddies killed 5 elk in one day, only had one vehicle...you going to fit 5 elk in your mini-van?

Like I said tools for the job, some day if the calculus shifts I'd buy a truck, I'm not anti-truck... but ~90% of truck owners could drive a sedan and have no net changes to their lives.

Trucks like a lot of other things in our culture are just a product of marketing being shoved in our face 24/7, marketing which puts folks in debt and leaves with short on retirement savings. That sienna I posted gets 36 mpg... with bigger tires + 2 in spacers lets say 30... that clearance is pretty close to tahoe/4runner/ etc. You like are saving ~$5000-$10,000 at least on msrp and if you drive it for say 250k miles probably $15,000 in gas.

For the record, I lived in rural western slope CO and in MT and have done all kinds of stuff in the woods all year long and never gotten stuck or needed to dig out. Definitely hiked up a few roads a couple more miles than guys with trucks did... but never more than like 1 or 2.

Maybe if I draw a gen elk tag, you can show me the necessity of a truck in WY ;)
I don't know what the number is but there are quite a few. I've worked with quite a few guys that I don't think have ever out anything other than maybe a piece of furniture in there truck. One guy in particular just bought a new duramax last year. He lives a good jaunt out slide of where we normally work. Like a minimum of an hour commute usually one way. I asked him why not get something different different work? Says he likes driving a truck. That's his call. He doesn't hunt, fish, own a trailer or anything. Lives on a postage stamp in town his old trucks bed looked cleaner than the body on any truck I've ever owned. I hate driving a car but I do because I don't have to bring any of my own things to the job other than a grease gun. Keeps.miles off my truck and saves a ton on gas especially nowadays.

I'll rent a truck for the 3 days every 10 years that situation arises ;)
If you can find an actual 4x4 truck available to rent. Usually suvs or 2wheel drive trucks. Only 1 time have I been able to actually get a 4wd taco.

If you can find an actual 4x4 truck available to rent. Usually suvs or 2wheel drive trucks. Only 1 time have I been able to actually get a 4wd taco.
I've never had a problem renting 4wd, never gonna know what size tire rim your going to get though so chaining up isn't really an option.

I've never had a problem renting 4wd, never gonna know what size tire rim your going to get though so chaining up isn't really an option.
Yeah you’d think it’d be a standard option in Wyoming. At least one local rental company doesn’t even offer a 4wd truck.

I liked how reliable my 2010 Tacoma was. But it was a bit pathetic in snow without any lockers. I’d be stuck in snow without being high centered. Got a 2018 f150 after that. Love the comfort and power. But 7k per year in repairs was not going to keep happening so I sold it and now have an 08 tundra. Hopefully after a lift and tires and lockers it’ll be the most reliable low maintenance truck I’ve had. Hopefully. I do miss the narrow wheel base for nasty roads. But with a family who likes to go camping I will take the extra space.

And chains, and truck claws, and how to use a shovel.

Also how to get elk killed.

I just have a question, my buddies killed 5 elk in one day, only had one vehicle...you going to fit 5 elk in your mini-van?
Buzz if you want to teach me how to get elk killed I'd be down.

How man buddies have to fit in the van? I've gotten a elk and a muley into the trunk of a rolla so boned out could definitely do 5 elk in a mini van with all the seats out save the front 2.

With 4 seats... probably... be a little bloody, but blood washes out pretty easy.

Buzz if you want to teach me how to get elk killed I'd be down.

How man buddies have to fit in the van? I've gotten a elk and a muley into the trunk of a rolla so boned out could definitely do 5 elk in a mini van with all the seats out save the front 2.

With 4 seats... probably... be a little bloody, but blood washes out pretty easy.
Since this is my thread, who is teaching me how to kill elk?

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back