Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Small Items

You nailed some good items I could do with remembering as well along with others.. especially the game tag! Haha!

I could think of a few ..

P-cord
Carabiner ×'s a few. Awesome pulleys, etc tool, and ultra light weight!
Electrical tape, several wraps around top few inches & cover the barrel head... I've used electrical tape for various needs over my time never thought to use though because I have it and nominal weight, I've used it... (i.e. mcguyver rigged my phone scope that broke) and for securing my tag... etc.

Cotton balls swabbed with a burning wax. Ultra light weight in a compressed zip lock are fantastic slow burning fire starters.

What have you used zipties for and what length do you pack?
I like the coughdrops... reminds me of my chew gum I always pack in my bino harness. Big drawback is drymouth and gum resolves that completely.

Also, thinking of my bio harness, I have a simple lens cleaner cloth that can stuff into its small pouch, that hangs off the front of the harness pack. I use that EVERY hunt... from my glasses, bino lens, spotting scope, rifle scope, etc.
That was an impulsive Sportsman's Warehouse register purchase too many years ago and not a year goes by I do not use.

What have you used zipties for and what length do you pack?
I like the coughdrops... reminds me of my chew gum I always pack in my bino harness. Big drawback is drymouth and gum resolves that completely.

Also, thinking of my bio harness, I have a simple lens cleaner cloth that can stuff into its small pouch, that hangs off the front of the harness pack. I use that EVERY hunt... from my glasses, bino lens, spotting scope, rifle scope, etc.
That was an impulsive Sportsman's Warehouse register purchase too many years ago and not a year goes by I do not use.

All sorts of things. I have used them to repair a pack when a zipper failed. I use them help make brush blinds sometimes. Securing tags, reataching loose hoses on a truck, temporarally patching irrigation line on the farm, etc. I have not had to use one as a tourniquet (I keep a real tourniquet in my first aid kit) yet, but I assume they would work well for that purpose as well. I keep 10" ones in my kill kit (about 8 of them). Get black ones from the automotive store, they are tough as nails and hold up to UV if you have to have something outside for a while (they also don't get brittle as fast).

All sorts of things. I have used them to repair a pack when a zipper failed. I use them help make brush blinds sometimes. Securing tags, reataching loose hoses on a truck, temporarally patching irrigation line on the farm, etc. I have not had to use one as a tourniquet (I keep a real tourniquet in my first aid kit) yet, but I assume they would work well for that purpose as well. I keep 10" ones in my kill kit (about 8 of them). Get black ones from the automotive store, they are tough as nails and hold up to UV if you have to have something outside for a while (they also don't get brittle as fast).
Don’t use them as a tourniquet please! They are too narrow.

Cocoon pillow, 1/3 of a Z-lite, Outdoorsmans bino adapter, and trekking poles are easily some of the most useful things I’ve started using in the last few years.

I usually always have the following small ite in my pack
Lighter wrapped with duct tape
Paracord/zip ties
Ibuprofen/allergy pill
A few drink mix packets
Protein bar

These items may have been mentioned but i feel worth doing so again. I have hunted around a hundred days every year for decades. Countless trips to all of Africa, Asia. All of North America. Each trip at some point have needed, duct tape, Leatherman tool, Benadryl pills and salve, and a head net. I am surprised at how many hunters i have bumped into and did not have these items. The headset stuffs into a golf ball size belt pouch. Mosquitos, horse flies, deer flies And most importantly Tsetses can Be awful. The head net allows a needed mid day nap along with Protection from blood thirsty bugs. The Benadryl ointment and pills can help with infected insect bites including spiders. The Leatherman is there when you suddenly need some sort of tool, usually pliers. Not once have I concluded a long hunting trip without using all of these items.

Last edited:
Aluminum foil - weighs nothing but is extra handy for cooking some of the fresh meat once you harvest an animal.

Paracord, duct tape (small roll of gorilla tape), zip loc bags, TP, coffee, inflatable pillow.

I have a whole kit of small odds and ends that goes with me on every hunting or fishing outing. If I had that and my gun/rod, I would be ok. I exchange a few things based on the trip. (bore snake for hunting, spare hooks for fishing, etc)

Back