PEAX Equipment

Sleeping in truck or tent

Personally, I’d get a couple of smaller coolers. That 210 is huge and is going to always be a PITA.
This!! A bull elk will fit into a smaller cooler than a 210 as well. Then again, for larger coolers, for meat, I opt for lighter, cheaper coolers. Biggest I have is an Igloo Extreme 110. Between that and a 70qt, I've packed home a bull elk and deer. Or two cow elk. Bigger is not better, especially when it comes to coolers.

Looking for suggestions to complete my decision. Again, I love the idea of the decked drawers and the shell. The problem I’m up against is the yeti 210 cooler for elk hunting. I don’t know where to store it? The issue is the lid not being able to open all the way inside the low ceiling clearance of the shell once the decked system is put in.

My only thought is finding a heavy duty hitch rack, but the cooler is BIG and HEAVY. Especially with ice and elk meet. The hitch would need to be able to handle 500+ lbs.
We only bring a cooler for the food we are going to eat. Not sure what the temperatures are like where you hunt but for us it is almost always below freezing at night. We just hang the meat up outside in game bags if we are going to be out for another night before we head back home. When traveling we place a tarp over the carpet and mattress in the back of our truck shell and then put the meat on top of the tarp. We open the windows on the shell and by the time we are home that cold wind has cooled the meat significantly. We then hang the meat in the backyard and process it over the next couple of days. If it is too warm at home then I put it in a cooler on ice.

I slept on the back of my truck for the first time this year and it was great! I slept in it when temps were below freezing probably mid twenties. I would like to build a slight raised bed that maybe sets on top of the bed rail so I can utilize more space underneath. I used my clothes bin also as my table
The main problem I have is that my water is frozen in the morning. You have that problem or potential solution? I have started to put it in the cab, which retains a little more heat, but that doesn't always work depending on temp.

The main problem I have is that my water is frozen in the morning. You have that problem or potential solution? I have started to put it in the cab, which retains a little more heat, but that doesn't always work depending on temp.
Not yet! Maybe just a little portable buddy heater. I did start to run into that issue but that’s the first time I ever hit freezing temps

Seems like everyone is moving towards the truck option. Wish my crew max tundra had a 6' bed so I wouldn't have to sleep kitty corner.
I can add that if its really windy the tent fly slapping can make it hard to sleep.

How about none of the above.

I did a trip through CO, MT, ID, and OR last year, 45 day hunting in all. I've got a 4dr Tundra. I took out the back seat and the passenger seat. Then I cut up a 14" memory foam mattress to fit where the seats used to be. Bought 4 memory foam pillows for extra padding where I might need it. If your going to do it, position the mattress to leave some room for your feet underneath the dash. Removing the back seat opens up more room to store stuff behind the drivers seat. During the day I stored equipment on the mattress, at night I moved it off onto drivers seat and floorboard. I also had a heater when I needed it. I had 6 extra gas cans in the back for when I wanted to be mobile for days without having to gas up. I'm 6'4" and I slept like a baby. Had a blast.

Bought the mattress of Facebook for $30 and the pillows from Craigslist for $10 each.
Craigslist pillows :sick:

I sleep just dandy in my truck topper with a DIY shelf built in for mattress, store some things under it, etc. So quick and easy and when the wind is blowing or raining/snowing out you can stay dry.

I sleep in mine about 15 days a year. Slept good down to 16 degrees so far. Works great for new areas where you may want to move often.
Has anyone considered a gaucho/scissor couch from an RV in the back of a truck topper? This photo reminded me that my gaucho in my TT is the perfect size to fit in the back of a short bed full size pickup. When folded out it makes a nice twin bed. When put up as a couch it would only take up less than half the bed, with room to store gear under it as well as on top of it. The reason I ask is I have a buddy who has a similar (home built, one side of the bed of the truck "single" bed with storage under it as well as on top of it when traveling. He packs a single 10x10 pop up with 4 walls as a dry area next to the truck that has a folding table, chairs, Coleman two burner cook stove and a propane fire pit inside that is one toasty/dry place to hang out during cold inclement weather during winter hunts. At that point the truck topper is strictly a dry tent/bed with a full 8" mattress. He seems pretty content during season while we all are in our Travel trailers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 8' bed with a truck topper. We built our own platform and put a Cal king mattress topper back there. We swapped out the old topper for an extra tall one and it makes a huge difference in comfort. It's nice to be able to sit all the way up when you are getting dressed. We installed a cheap diesel heater that runs off the main fuel tank. We also installed a house battery and a DC-DC charger that can run off a solar panel or charge off the trucks alternator. I would take my truck parked right at the trailhead over a campsite with other people any day of the week. Our whole camp is almost instantly portable and ready for adventure. The diesel heater allows us to camp comfortably in some pretty cold weather. Putting on dry warm boots in the morning is a beautiful thing. The first interior pictures are from before we swapped it out to the taller shell. View attachment 174644View attachment 174645View attachment 174646
I would like some detail on how you hooked up the diesel heater. Any photos of how you tied it in to the trucks fuel source? Mounting and exhaust?

I slept in my topper probably 8 nights this hunting season and a few more when I was too cheap for a hotel when traveling. It works just fine. Be sure to crack a window or you will get condensation everywhere.
I’ve found that if you just stop breathing you won’t get the condensation. Pro tip!🤪

Get a nice pad and sleep under the topper. Then when it’s cold you can reach over and start up a little propane heater to take the morning bite off.

1624556169699.png

You have to drop the tank to install the standpipe but it's not too bad of a job. Make sure to insulate the little fuel metering dosage pump from the frame rail. We used old bicycle innertube. If you don't insulate it will turn the frame rail into an amplifier and the clicking will drive you nuts. Get a 2.5kw and not a 5kw heater. Make sure the dosing pump is 12V - 16 or it will coke up at higher altitude. This is really important and will save you a lot of frustration and possibly your life if you need it. Cleaning one of these after they soot up is pretty annoying..Screenshot_20200430-070340_Amazon Shopping.jpg

We have topper on ours that we use and like. We build a shelf in the back to store gear in. The only time it's a pain is when we are trying to dry stuff out and need a little more room. We have camped and hunted all over the country with our set up. The way I'd change is if I'm going to stay in one spot for a week or so I'd set something up I can stand up in.

I've done the topper camping and tent camping multiple times each. Personally, if I'm going to be in an area for multiple days and nights I'd rather have a traditional tent camp setup. It's just more comfortable and gives you more room to spread out. The only time the topper camping is better, IMO, is if you are trying to be extremely mobile. I typically only use this setup during turkey season when I'm trying to jump from state to state quickly.

Twin mattress in the cap worked well for me this year. The elevated platform is crucial for storage. Just be sure to have a tarp so you can wrap your deer in it and not get blood all over your bed…

Attachments

• C9A43EB3-AB15-46A3-9700-C326B66EC2EA.jpeg
    C9A43EB3-AB15-46A3-9700-C326B66EC2EA.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 32
One or two nights is all I can take in the back of my 5'7'' short bed under a tonneau. You all seem to have it figured out though.

For the same money as a topper ( I have a topper on my truck) you can get a enclosed trailer. I sent mine up as a mobile hunt camp with fold down bunk, folds up to haul atv. Solar panel does most charger that you may need. Back to you topic. I'd go with topper. Tint the windows and your valuables are out of site.

This year is my year to hunt... a lot! I've put in for multiple Western States for elk & deer and will be going for antelope as well.

My wife is good with me taking off Thursday evenings and coming back on Sunday evening as much as I need to. I definitely married up!

Right now I have a 2016 Duramax, 6.6' bed, and I'm 5'10, so I can layout in the bed without having to sleep on an angle.

I also just bought a "Decked" drawer system to keep my gear ready to rock and roll when I leave Thursday after work.

The nice thing about the Decked system is that it gives you a larger raised platform for a bed area.

But I'm debating throwing a A.R.E topper on the truck and sleeping inside the shell OR going the truck tent route. I don't have experience with either... I've primarily been a set up a tent and sleep on the ground hunter.

However, with the amount of hunting I want to be doing, I'm not too keen on the ground tent. Kinda want to keep it mobile.

I would be hunting end of August through November, so the temperatures are going to swing pretty decently over those months.

Does anyone have experience with sleeping/hunting out of a truck with a topper or should I lean more towards the truck tent like the Smittybilt GEN2 Overlander Tent XL?

I have all the gear to make either option comfortable and warm...

Thanks in advance!
I prefer the topper over a tent when in grizzly bear country, it allows me to sleep better. Another advantage is when there is a windstorm at night, you don't have to worry about your tent blowing away. It does require a bit of organization, keeping your belongings in containers, and moving a few items in and out.

I prefer the topper over a tent when in grizzly bear country, it allows me to sleep better. Another advantage is when there is a windstorm at night, you don't have to worry about your tent blowing away. It does require a bit of organization, keeping your belongings in containers, and moving a few items in and out.
Thank you. I’m in the process of building out a 7 1/2 x 16‘ enclosed trailer to pull my side-by-side. I think I’m gonna use that for bass camp hunting.

Does anyone have any suggestions on enclosed trailer set ups on what to buy when building it or what to put inside for sleeping comfort or anything of that nature?

Back